Worker's

silver 2039

Deity
I have genarally automated workers. I want to manually control them now. I know that you Road and Railroad everything. Mine hills and mountain's. Cut down jungles.

What do you do for grassland, plains, bonous grassland, forest, cattle, wheat, and game and tundra?

You irragte for pop growth and mine for increased production right?

That's basically it.

Here is what I do:

ALWAYS irrigate desert (need the food, as it has 0 food)
ALWAYS forest tundra, when you can't, mine it
For hills and mountains, always mine (obviously)
No, for everything else, it gets tricky.
ALWAYS cut down forests, except on tundra

Plains
Grassland
Bonus Grassland

The above are "flat land." They should follow teh following code:

Mine all tiles, except irrigate one tile for every two hills in the city radius, and irrigate one tile for each mountain. When you have the choice of what to irrigate, irrigate Bonus Grassland, as it already produces a fair amount of shields.

SAMPLE CITY:

H M H
P H H BG G
P P C G G
P P P P P
D D D

Key: H=Hills M=Mountain P=Plaines BG=Bonus Grassland G=Grassland C=The City D=Desert.

Now, assuming we can irrigate any D, P, G, or BG, we would do the following:

M M M
M M M I M
M M C I I
M M M M M
I I I

Key: M=Mine I=Irrigation C=The City

I have irrigated the BG, and two G, because we have four hills (two irrigations), and one mountain (one irrigation). I then irrigated three Ds, because they are deadly without food. Some people may choose to mine desert, but I don't. So, that's my strategy.

EDIT: I had spaced the city properly, but it won't let my post it correctly :(.

Ok I think I got it thanks!

Edit: One more question I know floodplain give increased food and is good for growth but the sourranding terrain is usally desert so do I irragate or mine the desert because I already have plenty of food from the flood plain?

Originally posted by Gogf

Plains
Grassland
Bonus Grassland

The above are "flat land." They should follow teh following code:

Mine all tiles, except irrigate one tile for every two hills in the city radius, and irrigate one tile for each mountain. When you have the choice of what to irrigate, irrigate Bonus Grassland, as it already produces a fair amount of shields.
In my Civ3 (Game of the Year Edition v1.29beta2 for Macintosh), plains give one food and one shield. They should be irrigated to give 2 food and one shield so your city's food input is not reduced by working the tile.

Avoid flood plains... They seemed like the best terrain to me at first too, but the thing is, you cant mine them. They produce absolutely no sheilds, which can KILL you at times. And the disease really, REALLY, pisses me off.

Well, its quite simple without having to be Einstein

A city need 24 food max. until VERY late on the game. Most of people here win before getting hospitals. Irrigate, mine everything without forgeting that you need 24 food, thats all. If you see it produces 25 food, move someone from a tile +2 food on a tile +1 food but more shields, like a hill or a mined plain.

Early in the game mine sufficient grassland squares to support your current city pop (irrigation does not produce extra food under depotism normally) mine all hills, mountains, generally irrigate all plains, floodplains, deserts. However once railroading has been done and cities are at size 12 or 20 or your preferred size, consider mining some plains and deserts to maximise production and avoid cities growing to unnecessarily large sizes.

In the late game newly established cities should have extensive irrigating and railroading done so city pop can be quickly maxed out so maximum commerce and science can be gained from the city (unless city is highly corrupt)

Early in the game you should be thinking food first. After you maximize that you will want to mine shielded grassland and put roads in as a priority.

As you develop you will see opportunities to gain a little. If you find iron for example, mine it as you will be able to get the bonus shield prior to getting into an advanced government.

One often missed opportunity is improving tiles along rivers. These should be worked early to get that commerce bonus.

Be careful not to work too many tiles in a given city radius. More than one improved tile per population point is all you can use.

Top Bottom