Would you ever try to hog all religions?

Would you ever try to hog all religions?

• Yes I would!

Votes: 61 57.0%
  • No i would not.

Votes: 14 13.1%
  • I might try it once.

Votes: 32 29.9%

• Total voters
I checked part of the civ tree 4 of the religions you can get on the same path.

MSTK said:
It seems very possible, if you're a tech leader, to research ALL of the religion techs first. But will Firaxis let us have more than one holy city? :(

I very much doubt you will be able to "found" multiple holy cities, but you can get them!! :devil: Therefore I voted "at least once" :D

Legionary37 said:
No, I wouldn't. I can imagine that if another nation is Muslim, and you have the Muslim Holy City, there should be constant attempts to capture that city. Just my opinion.

I completely agree! That's why I voted "once", not all the time!

Hehehe. I probably won't hog them. Christianity is the only one I want. Let the rest of the world fight over the others. Catholic theocracy, here I come.

it would be wierd to have a civ that invented ALL 7 major religions though.... wouldn't that make your citizens more prone to in-fighting? reminds me of india before they split up into india and pakistan...

Probably impossible, I imagine the religions won't come one after the other, but they could be quite 'near' (techwise) to each other. And besides, with the dynamic tech tree, different sides of the tree (different religions?) will get researched quicker. So, I doubt it'll be possible (well, on Chieftain certainly, but...).
I'll probably try anyways... :D

m

Bloodsfire said:
I checked part of the civ tree 4 of the religions you can get on the same path.
Where's this tech tree? I want to see it!

Anyway I'd guess that Religious founder techs come after 'dud' techs so researching several in sucession to beat your opponents to them would cost your empire heavily, ie a huge oppertunity cost and you stagnate with no new units or buildings. (by 'dud' I mean a tech with no benefits beyond what it unlocks, like printing press prior to democracy or physics+chemistry for the late medieval tech tree).
But even so I think if you do it there will be civil disorder problems in your civ with several religions when freedom of religion is a late game tech (probably)
But nevertheless it must be done once :D

Tech tree: http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/info/#Techs
Although, it only shows what techs found 4 of the religions.

Can each civ found more than one religion? It seems like a little tech lead could easily result in founding a majority of religions unless there's some other restriction. It might be only one per civ.

It sounds like it would be a good idea to make all your cities belong to your state religion. This results in a happiness boost right? So you'll be pursuing some religious persecution to stamp out other religions in your own cities.

And you'll probably want to make all your opponents' cities belong to religions whose holy cities you control. Now we've got crusades to conquer the holy cities of other religions, after which you convert the city's population to your own religion. I don't know if this is exactly how everything will work, but it seems like the practical courses of action are very evil.

It's likely that the religions are all in different parts of the tech tree, so you'll have to choose which one to go for. Unless you have this insane tech lead, you probably won't get more than one, or two Holy cities if you're insanely lucky.

...ok...anyway, I'm wondering what happens if a Holy City is razed. Will another city of that religion become the Holy City? Or will everyone of that religion declare on the Civ that razed the Holy City? Or both?

Also, can a religion be "killed off"? If there's only one city left of a certain religion and it's destroyed, is that religion gone forever?

I would hope not. A way I could see it working is

1. When a religion is founded a Holy City is determined and That city is instantly converted to that religion. [Even if it is already a Holy City, ie Christianity and Judaism having the same Holy City]

2. The religion then spreads from City to city, both advancing and retreating, including the holy city itself (so the Hindu Holy City could convert to Judaism)

3. If the Holy City is razed and another city exists of that religion, one of those cities is chosen as the new Holy City

4. If all cities of that religion are converted to other religions (or lose religion) the Holy city still has a possibility of converting to its religion.

5. The only way the religion is destroyed is if the Holy City is razed while there are no other cities professing that religion.

ALTERNATIVE IDEA:

Holy Cities are actually Holy Sites and cannot be razed (like victory point locations in Conquests)... As long as there is a city on/adjacent to the Holy site of a religion, there is some possibility of that city converting to the religion. (I'd like the same Idea for Great Wonders..unless razing is much rarer)

I would imagine that taking a holy city prevents the further spread of its religion, and vastly reduces the dogmatic resistance of its followers (ie easily converted).

Perhaps shrines play a part in this? I assumed that they tilted religious sentiment in their vicinity to aid conversion and increase resistance of their followers (btw I know they supposedly generate gold + above effect, I am wondering about further effects)

Top Bottom