wtf no multiplayer saving

paradigmx

Say yes to Steam
this is the only thing about the game so far that's pissing me off, I can't save a multiplayer game, I don't mind no animations, but I like to play multiplayer civ games that can last weeks, that's not really possible if i can't save the game.

I've read that you can by pressing ctrl+s during multiplayer despite the lack of option in the menus. I haven't tried it though.

Control S works to save in MP. To load that save, you have to rename it after an autosave or it won't load. Works fine for us.

I hope they fix this and A TON of other bugs in the next update.

I am regretting I bought it so early.

No way to save a multiplayer game at will isn't a bug it's neglect. There isn't really an excuse for that.

This was my biggest disappointment so far. How can we not save without this hassle? Doesn't make sense. Truly this is version 0.5. Cant possibly be the final release...

The game autosaves like every turn, so there is really no need for a manual save.

The game autosaves like every turn, so there is really no need for a manual save.

It autosaves at the beginning of the turn, there is plenty of reason to want to save at the end or middle of a turn, especially with the new combat system.

Besides, autosaving is not an excuse for the lack of a basic save ability.

auto saves are there but get written over with your next MP game, so if you have more than one friend you want to MP with at different times you will lose the autosaves from your older MP games....

Control S works to save in MP. To load that save, you have to rename it after an autosave or it won't load. Works fine for us.

can you clarify what you mean here please as if there is a workaround I would like to know :)

auto saves are there but get written over with your next MP game, so if you have more than one friend you want to MP with at different times you will lose the autosaves from your older MP games....

can you clarify what you mean here please as if there is a workaround I would like to know :)

Ctrl-s will bring up a save box in multiplayer. You can make whatever name you want. You'll find when you go to load the game, it isn't there and all you can see are the autosaves. You need to find your saves directory (usually my documents/my games/etc, etc) Go the to the multiplayer saves and find the one you made, say my game.

Rename this file to AutoSave_mygame and put it in the autosave directory.

I would guess they are working on a fix for this, but as it stands this is how you have to do it.

Yes there is. The autosave is a good safty net but we need the ability to do manual saves and name the save what we want. We can do this in SP so there is no reason why we cannot do this in MP.

Some of us play multipule MP games and without manual saves it would be a confusing mess to sort though the auto saves.

This pathetic mess made me lose a LAN game my GF and I put many hours (and our hearts) into.

Ruined our night...

I have never EVER seen this shotty a save implementation in all my life.

I have played games since DOS, so I am not some punk kid who's first game machine was an xbox.

Someone seriously needs to be fired for this, there is no excuse.

I generally handle Game Saves for the group that I play with.

Instead of of using the Control S feature much; I just have a Saved Game Directory with folders with the names of the players. When we finish a session, I just go into the multiplayer autosave folder and copy the last couple of game saves. I then paste these same saved game files in the appropriately named game folder and there it is when we are ready to resume play. Copy and paste these saved game files back into the multiplayer save directly and now you will see it when you want to load a game in multiplayer. The files are date and time stamped so you know which file is the most recent and insure that you select it for loading.

It is not the most elegant method of using saved games; but, it does work reliably.

Just remember that you have to store your MultiPlayer Game Saves in a directory other than the games multiplayer save directory because the game automatically over writes saved games files every time you play the game.

Hope that helps.

Top Bottom