XBOX - How to select a unit prior to giving it orders?

ianc911

Chieftain
Hi folks,

Please excuse the noob question - last night was my first attempt at playing any Civ game, and I gave it a try on my xbox and spent a couple hours at the tutorial, but have a nagging question I can't quite figure out.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but my expectation is that if I've built some units in the beginning of the game: Warriors, archers, etc., I should be able to select each of these units whenever I like during the current turn and give them orders to move, attack as long as they still have movement or attack points left.

The problem is that I can't figure out how to actually select a unit to make it the current active unit. When the turn starts, a particular unit (random?) is selected and waiting for orders. Usually, I'd like to move a different one first. Perhaps I'd like to see how another attack works out first before moving the current unit. I can't seem to find how to select another unit so that I can give it orders instead. I notice in the controls description that the 4 way arrow key on the left of the controller says 'cycle units'. If i unit is sitting on a city, the up arrow works to toggle to the city rather than the unit, but if a unit is elsewhere, it does not work.

I've tried just clicking on the other unit with the A button, but it just plots a path from the already selected unit to that unit. If the units happened to be adjacent, the first one moves into the second one's hex and kicks it out! A wasted turn...

Can anyone help? Getting kind of frustrated over something that should be really basic. Hope it's not an xbox specific bug... Thanks,

ianc

Sorry if I got it wrong here. But you have to cancel out from the unit proposed and move the cursor on the tile with the unit you want and select it. Backing up is maybe B on XBOX controller, not sure on that as I havent played it.

Try to go with the flow whenever you can btw. :) The game wont forget to remind you moving that unit later on, dont worry.

@ianc911: visit Civ6 Twitter account and watch their short videos about basic console controls, or check the controller commands screen in the game menu.
I've got a PS4, but the main controls must be identical, so center you cursor by pressing the right stick, move it on your new unit with the left stick, activate with A, cycle units/city on the same tile with up/down arrows on the left, cancel any selection with B.

Thanks for the tips guys. Pressing B for Back did the trick. Don't know why i didn't think of that. Maybe that second glass of wine. I also found something called auto select next unit in the options which i turned off.

Will check out that guide MrRadar. Thanks again!

ianc

I don't have the console version but I was very happy when they added the option to turn off auto select on PC. Playing with auto select off is my prefered way to play and would have been my suggestion if you hadn't already found it!

I hope you enjoy the game, as a lifelong civ fan, this one is my favorite!

Its still a bit weird actually. Sometimes, the icon in the lower left turn won't let me click it to end a turn because it thinks I still have a unit to move, when in actuality I don't want to move that particular unit, and there's no 'skip turn' or 'fortify' option, so I'm forced to move the unit whether I like it or not.

Other times, it will let me click it, but I know there's a unit that I haven't moved yet, so I need to go hunt it down and manually select it and move it before I end the turn.

I'm sure there's a logical explanation for it (?), but I keep getting stumped by things like this....

ianc

Its still a bit weird actually. Sometimes, the icon in the lower left turn won't let me click it to end a turn because it thinks I still have a unit to move, when in actuality I don't want to move that particular unit, and there's no 'skip turn' or 'fortify' option, so I'm forced to move the unit whether I like it or not.

Other times, it will let me click it, but I know there's a unit that I haven't moved yet, so I need to go hunt it down and manually select it and move it before I end the turn.

I'm sure there's a logical explanation for it (?), but I keep getting stumped by things like this....

ianc

You cannot see skip turn option if you have more than one unit in a hex.

"You cannot see skip turn option if you have more than one unit in a hex"

Thanks for the tip. Still wondering about how I'm allowed to proceed with some units unmoved, but not others?

ianc

"You cannot see skip turn option if you have more than one unit in a hex"

Thanks for the tip. Still wondering about how I'm allowed to proceed with some units unmoved, but not others?

ianc

Not familiar with xbox version and if there is a way to force the end of the turn. It might be possible only on PC. You could check out the option menus if there is a way.
Even PC wont let you force skip turns if there is multiple military units in the same hex.

One option to move between units is the X button. When your turn starts it defaults to a unit (vs. production change, selecting a tech/civic, etc). If your press the X button you skip the first unit and now are on your second unit. Hit it again and you are on your third unit, etc.

there are multiple ways to select units out of the order they rotate to automatically:

1) while cursor is selected on any unit, click LS on xbox (L3 on ps4), and a menu will open allowing you to select any unit.

2) hit B on xbox (O on ps4) to unselect any unit/building, and use the RS to scroll around the map then click RS to put the cursor on the unit/building you want and hit A on xbox (X on ps4).. you can use LS to refine where you cursor is.

3) hit X on xbox (Square button on ps4) to randomly rotate through all the things you need to address before your turn is over. this skips units/cities/etc that are done their turn

finally, if a unit will not allow you to wait a turn (skip the turn without taking an action) that's because it occupies a tile that wont allow that; ie 2 of the same units on 1 tile.

Okay, one thing that I haven't figured out is how to change production in a city without first activating the defending soldier unit there and moving it out of the way/city. There has to be a better way to accomplish this, but I haven't found it yet.

You do not need to move a garrison unit. Use the DPAD and press down to switch or use the DPAD to move left/right to the up & down arrow icon. Press the A button on the up & down arrow icon and your city will be selected. You can then use the DPAD to select the gear ⚙️ icon (pressing A to select).

Top Bottom