yes, you can! (train soldiers)

Elduce

Chieftain
answering my previous post:

i tried training inexperienced soldiers using the school/college but got nowhere; looked around the net and people kept saying it couldn't be done

i finally realized that when you put a guy in the school, he has to stay there and gain education points until he can take a new profession; i expected that as soon as i dropped a guy in school, i could instantly convert him into anything; you have to wait a few turns until the computer alerts you - then it will let you pick a new profession

and that's how i trained my first vet! huzzah, huzzah!

I'd prefer to cut teeth on a few indian villages. Save my school slots for statesmen, or something else imperative.

Anyway, upgrades like minuteman or situationally just about anything else are just as good or better than the way a vet starts. Sure the faster upgrading is neato to make a couple uber units, but ultimately, by the roll of whacked out dice, any unit can be killed.

A Veteran Soldier starts with Veteran 1 (+10% in combat) and Leadership (more experience) and while an individual battle can go either way an army of vets will perform much better over a long campaign than an army composed of ordinary colonists. Anyway, they've got way cooler uniforms. :)

Top Bottom