What if there were more Tech/Civic quotes?

TyrannusRex

Warlord
This is something I've pondered for a long time but haven't gotten around to working on. Now, I love the tech/civic quotes and Sean Bean's perfectly-gravelly-voice as much as the next Civ fanatic, but a 50/50 chance of getting one quote or the other gets tiring kind of quickly. So, I've taken it upon myself to add a third quote (and in some cases, a second) to each tech/civic to liven things up a bit, with my selections made based upon relevance, profundity, and what would sound funny coming out of Sean Bean's mouth. I've also tried to use quotes that can be reliably attributed (there are a few "unknowns" in there, but nothing outright apocryphal to my knowledge.) Some of them may get a tad wordy, but nothing nearly as obscenely long as that Poe quote for Optimization Imperative.
Why did I decide to do this? I guess I just needed something to do. Enjoy!

Spoiler Ancient Era :

Technologies
Pottery
In such a porcelain life, one likes to be sure that all is well, lest one stumbles upon one’s hopes in a pile of broken pottery.” - Emily Dickinson

Animal Husbandry
Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Mining
Mining is the art of exploiting mineral deposits at a profit. An unprofitable mine is fit only for the sepulcher of a dead mule.” - T. A. Rickard

Sailing
We cannot direct the wind. But we can adjust our sails.” - Various

Astrology
The starry vault of heaven is in truth the open book of cosmic projection…” - Carl Jung

Irrigation
A farmer is a magician who produces money from the mud.” - Amit Kalantri

Writing
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside of you.” - Maya Angelou

Archery
The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood.” - Sebastien de Castell

Masonry
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.” - David Brinkley

Bronze Working
All bronzes are made to be touched. Bronze is a sensual ‘living’ material. The sweat and oil of your palms adds to the patination.” - Peter Marino

Wheel
The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. The guy who invented the other three, he was a genius.” - Sid Caesar

Civics
Code of Laws
Laws are like sausages – it is better not to see them being made.” - Otto von Bismarck

Craftsmanship
The difference between an artist and a craftsman is that a craftsman is interested in his or her tools and an artist disdains them.” - Richard Benson

Foreign Trade
We woke that morning at the onward call / Our camels bridled up, our howdahs full / The sun was rising in the eastern sky / Just as we set out to the desert’s cry” – Loreena McKennitt

Military Tradition
Our flag does not fly because the wind moves it. It flies with the last breath of each soldier who died protecting it.” - Unknown

State Workforce
An empowered and enriched workforce is the backbone of a company’s success framework.” - Ananya Birla

Early Empire
The day of small nations has long passed away. The day of Empires has come.” - Joseph Chamberlain

Mysticism
Religion is to mysticism what popularization is to science.” - Henri Bergson

Spoiler Classical Era :

Technologies
Celestial Navigation
The ability to tell a good route from a terrible one is a valuable skill when leading an expedition. Unfortunately for us all, it was a skill I did not possess.” - Tahir Shah

Currency
That money talks, I’ll not deny, I heard it once: it said ‘Goodbye.’” - Richard Armour

Horseback Riding
Horses lend us the wings we lack.” - Pam Brown

Iron Working
Pull the tongs from the fire / Strike the hammer to the anvil / Craft a weapon to bring an enemy to a standstill” – Dan Bull

Shipbuilding
A ship in harbor is safe – but that is not what ships are built for.” John A. Shedd

Mathematics
Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true.”- Bertrand Russell

Construction
Measure twice, cut once, swear silently.” - Tim “Level” Johnson

Engineering
Science can amuse and fascinate us all, but it is engineering that changes the world.” - Isaac Asimov

Civics
Games and Recreation
The bow cannot always stand bent, nor can human frailty subsist without some lawful recreation.” - Miguel de Cervantes

Political Philosophy
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is not lost.” - John Quincy Adams

Drama and Poetry
I think the theatre is as essential to civilization as safe, pure water.” - Vanessa Redgrave

Military Training
The aim of military training is not just to prepare men for battle, but to make them long for it.” - Louis Simpson

Defensive Tactics
To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.” - George Washington

Recorded History
No one has a better memory than a piece of paper.” - Ginny Di

Theology
The best theology is rather a divine life than a divine knowledge.” - Jeremy Taylor

Spoiler Medieval Era :

Technologies
Military Tactics
Good tactics can save even the worst strategy. Bad tactics will destroy even the best strategy.” - George S. Patton

Buttress
Man must be arched and buttressed from within, else the temple will crumble to dust.” - Marcus Aurelius

Apprenticeship
A long apprenticeship is the most logical way to success. The only alternative is overnight stardom, but I can’t give you a formula for that.” - Chet Atkins

Stirrups
He who speaks the truth must keep one foot in the stirrup.” - Mark Shields

Machinery
People are more difficult to work with than machines. And when you break a person, he can’t be fixed.” - Rick Riordan

Education
It’s not enough to train today’s workforce. We also have to prepare tomorrow’s workforce by guaranteeing every child access to a world-class education.” - Barack Obama

Military Engineering
When sappers fear a man, that man is to be feared indeed.” - Peter McLean

Castles
As you can imagine, medieval castles were not easy to break into. They were basically like those jungle gym things at Chuck E. Cheese’s: massive in size, intentionally confusing layout, security everywhere, and by the end of your visit, you’d probably end up with some kind of disease.” - Sam O’Nella

Civics
Naval Tradition
When I lost my rifle, the Army charged me 85 dollars. That is why in the Navy, the captain goes down with the ship.” - Dick Gregory

Feudalism
Feudalism made land the measure and the master of all things.” - Lord Acton

Civil Service
For I am certain, O men of Athens, that if I had engaged in politics, I should have perished long ago, and done no good either to you or to myself.” - Plato

Mercenaries
To act without a conscience, but for a paycheck, makes anyone a dangerous animal. The devil would be powerless if he couldn’t entice people to do his work. So long as money continues to seduce the hungry, the hopeless, the broken, the greedy, and the needy, there will always be war between brothers.” - Suzy Kassem

Medieval Faires
Everything being a constant carnival, there is no carnival left.” - Victor Hugo

Guilds
Proficiency in a craft is essential to every artist. Therein lies the prime source of creative imagination. Let us then create a new guild of craftsmen without the class distinctions that raise an arrogant barrier between craftsman and artist!” - Walter Gropius

Divine Right
The ways of Heaven are not invariable. On the good-doer it sends down all blessings, and on the evil-doer it sends down all miseries.” - Shūjīng

Spoiler Renaissance Era :

Technologies
Cartography
There’s no map for you to follow and take your journey. You are Lewis and Clark. You are the mapmaker.” - Phillipa Soo

I knew I should’ve taken that left turn at Albuquerque!” - Bugs Bunny

Mass Production
We seem to want mass production, but we must remember that men are individuals not to be satisfactorily dealt with in masses, and the making of men is more important than the production of things.” - Ralph W. Sockman

Banking
Then Jesus entered the temple and drove out all who were selling and buying in the temple, and he overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who sold doves. He said to them, ‘It is written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer,’ but you are making it a den of robbers.’” - Matthew 21:12-13

Gunpowder
We owe to the Middle Ages the worst inventions of humanity – romantic love and gunpowder.” - Andre Maurois

Printing
The printing press is the greatest weapon in the armory of the modern commander.” - T. E. Lawrence

Square Rigging
Wherever we want to go, we go. That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel and hull and a deck and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom.” - Capt. Jack Sparrow

Astronomy
Certainly the history of astronomy shows that every time we thought we were special, we were wrong.” - Seth Shostak

Metal Casting
Still, my soul is cast iron, and not to be dented.” - Prince

Siege Tactics
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!” - Monty Python

Civics
Exploration
That is the exploration that awaits you! Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence.” - Leonard Nimoy

Humanism
Humanism is about the world, not about humanism.” - Harold Blackham

Diplomatic Service
Diplomacy is the art of saying ‘Nice doggie’ until you can find a rock.” - Will Rogers

Reformed Church
I shall never be a heretic; I may err in dispute, but I do not wish to decide anything finally; on the other hand, I am not bound by the opinions of men.” - Martin Luther

Mercantilism
The invisible hand of the market is no match for the very visible fist of the soldier.” - Sam O’Nella

The Enlightenment
The real meaning of enlightenment is to gaze with undimmed eyes on all darkness.” - Nikos Kazantzakis

Spoiler Industrial Era :

Technologies
Industrialization
The Industrial Revolution has two phases: one material, the other social; one concerning the making of things, the other concerning the making of men.” - Charles A. Beard

Scientific Theory
A good scientific theory is one which is falsifiable, which has not been falsified.” - Richard Dawkins

Ballistics
A bullet is like a word – when it flies out, you cannot catch it.” - Tamerlan Kuzgov

Military Science
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.” - Napoleon Bonaparte

Steam Power
More coal, more smoke, more heat, more steam, more pressure, more speed. The engine raced forward streaming black smoke like a funerary ribbon rippling in the breeze.” - Martin R. Jackson

Sanitation
Cleanliness becomes more important when godliness is unlikely.” - P. J. O’Rourke

Economics
Economics is extremely useful as a form of employment for economists.” - John Kenneth Galbraith

Rifling
A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.” - Theodore Roosevelt

Civics
Colonialism
The rich think this land is theirs, though they have never earned the right to call it theirs.” - Maaza Mengiste

Civil Engineering
The road to success is always under construction… there are lots of potholes but no traffic jams.” - Dan Pena

Nationalism
Nationalism can be a destructive force when it promotes intolerance and division. But it can also be a force for good, when it seeks to defend local autonomy against the homogenizing forces of larger entities.” - Maxime Bernier

Opera and Ballet
To dance is to be out of yourself. Larger, more beautiful, more powerful. This is power, it is glory on earth, and it is yours for the taking.” - Agnes de Mille

Natural History
There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers having been originally breathed by the Creator into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.” - Charles Darwin

Urbanization
In an agricultural world, the city was the crucible of thought and change, a role it would continue to play throughout history.” - David Macaulay

Scorched Earth
The first angel sounded his trumpet, and there came hail and fire mixed with blood, and it was hurled down on the earth. A third of the earth was burned up, a third of the trees were burned up, and all the green grass was burned up.” - Revelation 8:7

Spoiler Modern Era :

Technologies
Flight
“‘The Guide says there is an art to flying’ said Ford, ‘or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.’” - Douglas Adams

Replaceable Parts
I believe in standardizing automobiles. I do not believe in standardizing human beings.” - Albert Einstein

Steel
Persistence is to the character of man as carbon is to steel.” - Napoleon Hill

Refining
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil.” - J. Paul Getty

People say they are inventing electric cars. Well, where is the electricity coming from? Flowers? Maybe someday. But what is available now is oil and gas.” - Christophe de Margerie

Electricity
And God said, ‘Let there be light,’ and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness.” - Genesis 1:3-4

Radio
Can you hear me?” - Guglielmo Marconi’s first successful radio message

Chemistry
Studying physics, mathematics, and chemistry is worshipping God.” - Fethullah Gulen

Combustion
It can scarcely be denied that the fundamental phenomena which first led mankind into chemical inquiries are those of combustion.” - Sir William Crookes

Civics
Conservation
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” - Margaret Mead

Mass Media
Propaganda is to a democracy what the bludgeon is to a totalitarian state.” - Noam Chomsky

Mobilization
Mankind will never win lasting peace so long as men use their full resources only in tasks of war. While we are yet at peace, let us mobilize the potentialities, particularly the moral and spiritual potentialities, which we usually reserve for war.” - John Foster Dulles

Capitalism
Money is my military, each dollar a soldier. I never send my money into battle undefended. I send it to conquer and take currency prisoner and bring it back to me.” - Kevin O’Leary

Ideology
Ideologies separate us. Dreams and anguish bring us together.” - Eugene Ionesco

Nuclear Program
Oh, ‘meltdown.’ It’s one of these annoying buzzwords. We prefer to call it an ‘unrequested fission surplus.’” - C. Montgomery Burns

Suffrage
Remember the dignity of your womanhood. Do not appeal, do not beg, do not grovel. Take courage, join hands, stand beside us, fight with us.” - Christabel Pankhurst

Totalitarianism
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face – forever.” - George Orwell

Class Struggle
The creatures outside looked from pig to man, from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.” - George Orwell

Spoiler Atomic Era :

Technologies
Advanced Flight
A jet plane cannot mow the lawn, but it can fly to distant destinations. Don’t worry so much about what you can’t do; just do what you can as only you can do it.” - Dan Millman

Rocketry
It [the rocket] will free man from his remaining chains, the chains of gravity which still tie him to this planet. It will open him to the gates of heaven.” - Wernher von Braun

Advanced Ballistics
The best time to stop demolition was before pressing the trigger. Now the only option left is to avoid the bullet’s trajectory.” - Ramsri Goutham

Combined Arms
Nothing matures a military force quicker than actual military operations.” - Duncan Hunter

Plastics
If you are what you eat, you’re part plastic – because every animal on earth is eating it.” - Mark Leiren-Young

Computers
Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they make it easier to do don’t need to be done.” - Andy Rooney

Nuclear Fission
Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.” - Bhagavad Gita, Verse 32

Synthetic Materials
My faith protects me. My Kevlar helps.” - Jim Butcher

Civics
Cultural Heritage
A people’s relationship to their heritage is the same as the relationship of a child to its mother.” - John Henrik Clarke

Cold War
The Cold War has become a battlefield marked by doublespeak. Disguise, distortion, and deception were accepted as reality. Truth was promised in a serum.” - Annie Jacobsen

Professional Sports
A trophy carries dust. Memories last forever.” - Mary Lou Retton

Rapid Deployment
Plans are worthless, but planning is everything.” - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Space Race
That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.” - Neil Armstrong

Spoiler Information Era :

Technologies
Telecommunications
The telephone is a good way to talk to people without having to offer them a drink.” - Fran Lebowitz

Satellites
The rockets and the satellites, spaceships that we’re creating now, we’re pollinating the universe.” - Neil Young

Guidance Systems
GPS has saved countless relationships because us men do not like to ask for directions. Now if women could only come with relationship GPS, we would be one step closer to world peace.” - Ken Poirot

Lasers
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.” - Han Solo

Composites
I was always interested in figuring things out. I'd do experiments, like combining things I found around the house to see what would happen if I put them together.” - Alan Alda

Stealth Technology
Stars, hide your fires; Let not light see my black and deep desires.” - William Shakespeare

Robotics
The danger of the past was that men became slaves. The danger of the future is that men may become robots.” - Erich Fromm

Nuclear Fusion
I would like nuclear fusion to become a practical power source. It would provide an inexhaustible supply of energy, without pollution or global warming.” - Stephen Hawking

Nanotechnology
Making visible what is invisible is the task of nanotechnology.” - Edilson Gomes de Lima

Civics
Environmentalism
I do not think the measure of a civilization is how tall its buildings of concrete are, but rather how well its people have learned to relate to their environment and fellow man.” - Sun Bear

Globalization
What mattered in the Cold War was weight – how big are your missiles? How heavy are your tanks? What matters in globalization is speed. How fast is your modem? How good are your communications?” - Gavin Esler

Social Media
“Social media is both a dark and brilliant thing for mental health.” - Fearne Cotton

Near-Future Governance
Good governance with good intentions is the hallmark of our government. Implementation with integrity is our core passion.” - Narendra Modi

Corruption is the enemy of development, and of good governance. It must be got rid of. Both the government and the people at large must come together to achieve this national objective.” - Pratibha Patil

Venture Politics
“Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.” - Rumi

You are who you are when nobody’s watching.” - Stephen Fry

Distributed Sovereignty
Politics is too serious a matter to be left to the politicians.” - Charles de Gaulle

Public servants should be focused on serving the public – not any special interest group, and good governance should be an expectation – not an exception.” - Abigail Spanberger

Optimization Imperative
The endgame was the same for everyone: Growth at any cost. Scale above all. Disrupt, then dominate.” - Anna Wiener

The biggest risk is not taking any risk.” - Mark Zuckerberg

Spoiler Future Era :

Technologies
Advanced AI
By far, the greatest danger of Artificial Intelligence is that people conclude too early that they understand it.” - Eliezer Yudkowsky

I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.”

Advanced Power Cells
Energy, like the biblical grain of mustard seed, will move mountains.” - Hosea Ballou

Energy and persistence conquer all things.” - Benjamin Franklin

Cybernetics
Machine men, with machine minds and machine hearts! You are not machines, you are not cattle, you are men! You have the love of humanity in your hearts. You don’t hate: only the unloved hate, the unloved and the unnatural.” - Charlie Chaplin

You’re wond’ring who I am / Machine or mannequin / With parts made in Japan / I am the Modren Man” – Styx

Offworld Mission
A still more glorious dawn awaits. Not a sunrise, but a galaxy-rise. A morning filled with 400 billion suns. The rising of the Milky Way.” - Carl Sagan

Predictive Systems
The best way to predict the future is to create it.” - Peter Drucker

Those who have knowledge, don’t predict. Those who predict, don’t have knowledge.” - Lao Tzu

Seasteads
No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main… Any man’s death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind.” - John Donne

Smart Materials
The youth gets together his materials to build a bridge to the moon, or, perchance, a palace or temple on the earth, and, at length, the middle-aged man concludes to build a woodshed with them.” - Henry David Thoreau

Part wood, part industrial resin, part pasteurized processed cheese-food product! That valuable china crack? No problem! Just a dab of SPACOM will do the trick!” - MST3K

Future Tech
Fear is of the future. There is no fear in the present, only action and reaction." - Unknown

Civics
Information Warfare (I made two for this one so it doesn’t recycle a quote and it doesn’t have two quotes by the same person.)
A new normal is establishing itself in which an undeclared or invisible war is fought entirely through algorithms, narratives, and manipulated media.” - Roger Spitz

We worried for decades about WMDs – Weapons of Mass Destruction. Now it is time to worry about a new kind of WMDs – Weapons of Mass Disruption.” - John Mariotti

Global Warming Mitigation
The power is yours.” - Captain Planet

If you really think that the environment is less important than the economy, try holding your breath while you count your money.” - Guy McPherson

Cultural Hegemony
““North American cinema is the only true weapon of mass destruction. It has achieved to convince the audience not only that it's the best possible cinema, but that it is the only.” - Arturo Ripstein

The question of hegemony is always the question of a new cultural order.” - Stuart Hall

Smart Power Doctrine
Smart power is neither hard nor soft. It is both.” - Joseph S. Nye, Jr.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.”- Theodore Roosevelt

Exodus Imperative
The good Earth – we could have saved it, but we were too damn cheap and lazy.” - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program. And if we become extinct because we don't have a space program, it'll serve us right!” - Larry Niven

Future Civic
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Last edited:
Unfortunately you have included multiple quotes that are apocryphal, such as the Bismarck quote, the Napoleon quote, the Lao Tzu quote, etc.

Overall, I think more care needs to be taken to only include accurate quotes.

(A good rule of thumb is: If it was said by a historical figure and sounds too pithy and modern, it’s probably fake or mis-attributed.)

I’d prefer more actually accurate quotations.

I’d also prefer more quotes by more well known or more well regarded figures. This list has a lot of people who tend to be somewhat famous celebrities in the arts. Quotes tend to be impactful because of the context and credibility of WHO said them, not just what the quote actually is.

Finally, I’d like to plug SeelingCat’s awesome Proverbium mod, which adds hundreds of quotes to the game: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1226909609

It’s a great mod and very well researched.

Last edited:
[...] Now, I love the tech/civic quotes and Sean Bean's perfectly-gravelly-voice as much as the next Civ fanatic, but a 50/50 chance of getting one quote or the other gets tiring kind of quickly. [...]
So, not at all?

I love Sean Bean. I was thrilled when I heard he was on the project. I like his delivery. I HATE the quotes. I shouldn't hate something so minor with such a passion, but I can't get over it. I'm so happy that the Proverbium mod exists to use infinitely better quotes.

This is something I've pondered for a long time but haven't gotten around to working on. Now, I love the tech/civic quotes and Sean Bean's perfectly-gravelly-voice as much as the next Civ fanatic, but a 50/50 chance of getting one quote or the other gets tiring kind of quickly. So, I've taken it upon myself to add a third quote (and in some cases, a second) to each tech/civic to liven things up a bit, with my selections made based upon relevance, profundity, and what would sound funny coming out of Sean Bean's mouth. I've also tried to use quotes that can be reliably attributed (there are a few "unknowns" in there, but nothing outright apocryphal to my knowledge.) Some of them may get a tad wordy, but nothing nearly as obscenely long as that Poe quote for Optimization Imperative.
Why did I decide to do this? I guess I just needed something to do. Enjoy!

Spoiler Ancient Era :

Technologies
Pottery
In such a porcelain life, one likes to be sure that all is well, lest one stumbles upon one’s hopes in a pile of broken pottery.” - Emily Dickinson

Animal Husbandry
Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Astrology
The starry vault of heaven is in truth the open book of cosmic projection…” - Carl Jung

I didn't go through them all but you've illustrated the exact problem in my opinion. Your Astrology quote is great. It's to the point, makes you reflect a bit.

However, the Animal Husbandry and Pottery are perfect example of what Civ VI does wrong with the quotes. Your Animal Husbandry is about books. It's not about animals, and not at all about husbandry. Your Pottery quote is security in life, about certainty. It uses Porcelein as a metaphor. It has nothing to do with the technology, nothing to do with anything related to the topic other than a word showing up.

We need more quotes like the Astrology one, that are about the exact technology you just unlocked, not some random remark that happens to include the same word. And if there aren't any good quotes by (famous) people, just use a good summary, description, or say something about how it changed the course of mankind.

So, not at all?

I love Sean Bean. I was thrilled when I heard he was on the project. I like his delivery. I HATE the quotes. I shouldn't hate something so minor with such a passion, but I can't get over it. I'm so happy that the Proverbium mod exists to use infinitely better quotes.

I didn't go through them all but you've illustrated the exact problem in my opinion. Your Astrology quote is great. It's to the point, makes you reflect a bit.

However, the Animal Husbandry and Pottery are perfect example of what Civ VI does wrong with the quotes. Your Animal Husbandry is about books. It's not about animals, and not at all about husbandry. Your Pottery quote is security in life, about certainty. It uses Porcelein as a metaphor. It has nothing to do with the technology, nothing to do with anything related to the topic other than a word showing up.

We need more quotes like the Astrology one, that are about the exact technology you just unlocked, not some random remark that happens to include the same word. And if there aren't any good quotes by (famous) people, just use a good summary, description, or say something about how it changed the course of mankind.
Admittedly, it was hard to find quotes that perfectly related to the subject. I ended up using a lot of the same websites the devs probably ended up using, and... yeah, let's just say that there's not a lot of very profound quotes (or many quotes at all) about pottery. About oil refining. About freaking cast iron, of all things. Or smart materials, which barely exist yet. Or composite materials, which I... couldn't even really get a clear definition for, much less some quotes regarding them.

So please excuse me, everyone, for grasping at straws here and there. It feels a bit like trying to make 100 new Pokemon from scratch - it's hard, and you're gonna end up retreading some familiar ground. I knew Proverbium was gonna come up at some point during this, and congrats to SeelingCat for making a good and successful mod, but I wasn't gonna copy something that already exists. I guess you could say that my quotes (unfortunately) fall in line with what Firaxis has already provided.

And just a word of advice to everyone here -- be less angry about little things.🙃It's better for your health.

Admittedly, it was hard to find quotes that perfectly related to the subject. I ended up using a lot of the same websites the devs probably ended up using, and... yeah, let's just say that there's not a lot of very profound quotes (or many quotes at all) about pottery. About oil refining. About freaking cast iron, of all things. Or smart materials, which barely exist yet. Or composite materials, which I... couldn't even really get a clear definition for, much less some quotes regarding them.

So please excuse me, everyone, for grasping at straws here and there. It feels a bit like trying to make 100 new Pokemon from scratch - it's hard, and you're gonna end up retreading some familiar ground. I knew Proverbium was gonna come up at some point during this, and congrats to SeelingCat for making a good and successful mod, but I wasn't gonna copy something that already exists. I guess you could say that my quotes (unfortunately) fall in line with what Firaxis has already provided.

And just a word of advice to everyone here -- be less angry about little things.🙃It's better for your health.
Nah, I wasn't angry. Sorry if it came across that way. I just think it's something FXS can do a lot better.

Like I said, why not give a definition of the thing just unlocked? Feels like people can learn something that way as well. "Pottery is the process and the products of forming vessels and other objects with clay and other raw materials, which are fired at high temperatures to give them a hard and durable form." Stolen from wikipedia. I wouldn't mind anything like that. Sure, it's uninspired, but at least it's topical.

About Proverbium, do you use that yourself? If you had fun looking for all these quotes, more power to you. We all have things that we like to enjoy, and I certainly never intended to belittle your enjoyment : )

If you had fun looking for all these quotes, more power to you. We all have things that we like to enjoy, and I certainly never intended to belittle your enjoyment : )
I appreciate that, because while I enjoyed the idea at first, a crash did make me have to start from the beginning again when I was in the Future Era 🥲

I get what you're saying about the definition, I suppose. I just figured to stick to the tradition of using quotes, since people could look in the Civilopedia if they wanted to learn more. (Is there a way to access the relevant page from the completed research popup? There should be.)
Mostly this was just a thought exercise, but I hope some of the quotes were able to resonate with people, and/or make them chuckle. I know I myself appreciate a good number of the humorous quotes (like "24-hour banking" or anything from Monty Python). :)

Nah, I wasn't angry. Sorry if it came across that way. I just think it's something FXS can do a lot better.

Like I said, why not give a definition of the thing just unlocked? Feels like people can learn something that way as well. "Pottery is the process and the products of forming vessels and other objects with clay and other raw materials, which are fired at high temperatures to give them a hard and durable form." Stolen from wikipedia. I wouldn't mind anything like that. Sure, it's uninspired, but at least it's topical.

About Proverbium, do you use that yourself? If you had fun looking for all these quotes, more power to you. We all have things that we like to enjoy, and I certainly never intended to belittle your enjoyment : )
I definitely agree with your criticisms of the quotes in Civ 6, but I think the Pottery example is misguided. The Tech and Civic quotes are supposed to be insightful or witty observations about the topic at hand that go beyond simply telling the player what the thing itself is; definitions are better suited for the Civilopedia entries.

I definitely agree with your criticisms of the quotes in Civ 6, but I think the Pottery example is misguided. The Tech and Civic quotes are supposed to be insightful or witty observations about the topic at hand that go beyond simply telling the player what the thing itself is; definitions are better suited for the Civilopedia entries.

Agree on both accounts. But I'd still rather have the latter when discovering a tech than a pithy quote that is not insightful and does not have anything to do with the topic. But that's just me : )

I appreciate that, because while I enjoyed the idea at first, a crash did make me have to start from the beginning again when I was in the Future Era 🥲

I get what you're saying about the definition, I suppose. I just figured to stick to the tradition of using quotes, since people could look in the Civilopedia if they wanted to learn more. (Is there a way to access the relevant page from the completed research popup? There should be.)
Mostly this was just a thought exercise, but I hope some of the quotes were able to resonate with people, and/or make them chuckle. I know I myself appreciate a good number of the humorous quotes (like "24-hour banking" or anything from Monty Python). :)

Agreed! There are also some quotes in the game that make me chuckle or think bag fondly on things (like a Monty Python quote for example). Still, rather have them be topical at least : )

I like this idea. The tech quotes are, IMO, one of the weak points of VI. Too many of them are.. throwaway? Unmemorable? Un-insightful? Yeah, there are a few that bring a smile to the face, but the humorous approach runs the risk of being like the same joke being told over and over again - it's less funny on the fourteenth time. The building blocks of the world are fire, water, gravel, and vinyl... was funny the first few times, a bit old now.

I like IV's tech quotes more than VI's, and looking through them, the theme is they often come from religious texts or philosophers. They tend to be short but quotable. "Compound interest is the most powerful force in the universe." "The whole is more than the sum of its parts." "What gunpowder did for war, the printing press did for the mind." They had a Leonard Nimoy for the vanilla quotes, but not for the expansion quotes, but the latter still worked well because the source material was good.

These seem to be more along those lines, a bit weightier, still with occcasional humor. I suppose the pie in the sky ideal is to have a mod with dozens of tech quotes per tech, the option to choose a theme for them (humorous? philosophical?), and perhaps the ability to give each one a thumbs up (+50% likelihood) or a thumbs down (not a fan of this one, don't play it again). Although first we'd need a good voice actor. Are there of those on the forums?

As for the apocryphalness? I've heard it said that if you dig deep enough, you can throw into question almost any attributed quote, at least prior to the invention of the radio, and even then, you can often cast doubt on whether the speaker was the original one (for example, the stirrup quote shows up in nearly identical form in the Civ IV list, attributed as a Turkish proverb). I'm not a stickler on this sort of thing. Sure, if it's demonstrably false, better to attribute it accurately. But what was it that Napoleon said? History is a set of lies agreed upon?

So, not at all?

Yeah, I was gonna say, I feel like the quotes were one of the most universally criticized things in 6. I think someone searched and they were basically the first result that came up when googling, like someone realized Sean Bean was booked for the next day and gave the assignment to an intern to get quotes quickly.

Naval Tradition
When I lost my rifle, the Army charged me 85 dollars. That is why in the Navy, the captain goes down with the ship.” - Dick Gregory
heh. I like that one.
I knew I should’ve taken that left turn at Albuquerque!” - Bugs Bunny
I actually had to make a left turn there once. :D
Siege Tactics
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!” - Monty Python
One of the best lines ever!
Flight
“‘The Guide says there is an art to flying’ said Ford, ‘or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.’” - Douglas Adams
so simple yet... oh, is that my old luggage?
Synthetic Materials
My faith protects me. My Kevlar helps.” - Jim Butcher
lol. just lol.

:D

Bland technical description would be the most boring choice imaginable. I see no reason anyone would want to listen to such quotes more than once if even that - where they belong is in the civilopedia. Poor choices in every imaginable way.

Short, snappy quotes that illustrate the importance of a technology to mankind are much more suited to being the tech quotes. This can take the form of humor, of metaphors where the importance of the technology is illustrated by its use to highlight something about human life, or of short snapoy descriptive line.

IV did the best job of this (though it had its misfires- pig iron comes to mind rather immediately), and VI probably went a little too broad with barely relevant quotes (but is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be); either is infinitely better than serious bland descriptions.

In that light, I love TyrannusRex's idea for Animal Husbandry. By alluding to the "dog is man's best friend" saying, it reflects directly on the importance of animals in human life (and thus of animal husbandry); while using a humorous subversion based on the double meaning of "outside a dog" to keep the line from being bland and flavorless. It's an excellent choice, and depicting it as a quote "about books" is an absurdly literal interpretation.

Fun fact. The first use of tech and improvement quotes in a Sid Meier game was in Alpha Centauri - though they were divied in being said between the voice actors of their colourful leaders. Civ3, which came after SMAC, didn't have them, though.

Albert Einstein never said that, btw. That's probably my main issue with the quotes, and it's been an issue throughout the series: the lack of proper citations; it's a practice I frankly find insultingly pseudo-intellectual
That and the quotes from literally random bloggers…

That and the quotes from literally random bloggers…
That, I'm relatively fine with; at least there's a concrete source. I honestly find relying on Shakespeare and/or the Bible to be even lazier, even more uninspired

That, I'm relatively fine with; at least there's a concrete source. I honestly find relying on Shakespeare and/or the Bible to be even lazier, even more uninspired
Agree to disagree. The source of a quote is as impactful as the quote itself—it’s the entire reason we give the quote credibility. If that weren’t the case, then we wouldn’t need to falsely attribute statements about the importance of compound interest to Albert Einstein.

It's such a shame that robust blogging infrastructure hasn't been present throughout all of human civilization's history, since when it comes to quotes, I consider the gold standard to be first-hand accounts from regular people. Like, what were the words of onlookers to the first ever horse-carried invasion? What did the citizens of Constantinople say about the Ottoman bombards? What was the civilian reaction to the first locomotive?

Top Bottom