Your army is on my doorstep is too sensitive

valamas

Prince
Case 1: I am allied with The Kongo, meaning we have open borders.

Our cities are very close. Many of his units are just laying around within my lands. I have no units in his lands.

However, he hears one soldier sneeze and gets paranoid and asks what my intentions are.

I mean, we are ALLIES. The AI should welcome my units within or to cross its lands.

Case 2: Another AI says what are your troops doing on my doors step. I say we just passing through. A couple of turns later, I get open borders and my units walk through to explore, although not scouting units (but really, what is the essence of open border!?). I then get a YOU BROKE THE PROMISE notification. (Insert wtf meme).

The troops on the border thing should not be an issue during being an Ally or open borders. Or friends for that matter.

THIS!

I've had a few cases myself. It's not just sensitive, it's broken.. A scout or galley exploring, or even troops within your own territory (not even on the border), will trigger a "Your troops are on my border!" warning.
I'm trapped into being Denounced by Saladin for "broken promises," even though my troops are solely within my borders - they're not even on the edge!

Also, it seems that old borders still count, as Spain had a city very close to mine, which was taken over by Arabia... yet dozens of turns later, I'm still getting a penalty for troops being close to their borders, when their next-closest city is across the map.

This happens regardless... I have had AI declare the promise broken even when I had ZERO units of any kind within 2 hexes of any of their borders on the entire map. Absolutely none. Every time I've seen this bug I had encampments on the border, may be related

I second that I've seen a bunch of this, in addition to other AI "awareness issues", i.e. Peter yelling at me about not killing barbs close to my home when they don't exist. The borders issue is the worst of the lot. At the very least I'd like to see some warnings or clarification on specific actions which are causing and could remediate these concerns (so something like "This is the unit causing concern, he should be at least X tiles away from borders in next Y turns").

I am seeing this exactly with my current single player game. I have a bunch of auto saves that should capture the before an after this started happening. It's currently making the game a bit unplayable. So the story is this, I made friends with Japan, everything is going hunky dory, but then Japan decides they want to settle right next to my capital, not once, but twice. They then start moving a TON of troops into my capital like he's preparing for war. I get the warning about having troops too nearby his lands and he asks my intentions. I think, "OK, maybe I have some guy I forgot about lollygagging around". We have open borders, we're friends, and then even allies, then I get the notice that I broke a diplomatic promise for not moving my troops. At that point, I had no army within 2 tiles of his borders, so I was perplexed exactly how I broke the promise. So now I'm just trying to figure out how to get his entire army to stop taking up all my tile squares without starting a war to kill them off. Right now he's just parking all of his military in my capital. The snapshot I'm attaching is from 30 rounds ago, it only gets worse from there.

I was really enjoying playing this Civ until this started happening. Overall, I love this game, thank you all for your efforts in making it so good. I understand there may be some hiccups and kinks to work out, so I hope this helps.

I don't know if it will help, but I will attach my saved game here. Unfortunately, I don't have a version of the saved game from prior to the issue starting to happen, so I can't reproduce it easily. My current version of the game is 1.0.0.26 (221715), though I think it just downloaded a patch today, so I'm not sure if that was the version when the bug originally happened, and I don't recall what it was prior.

Edit: This might also be the same issue as, http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/my-lands-are-a-parking-lot-for-my-allys-units.601424/

Edit2: Also, when I allowed the open borders, friendship, and alliances to elapse, Japan never actually removed any troops. It's like he thinks my capital is on his lands. I mean I tried to be hospitable, but that's not quite what I meant by "make yourself at home".

Attachments

• AutoSave_0243.Civ6Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I was friends and had open borders with China. I told them not to settle new cities near me when I saw that they had a settler right on my borders. He apologised and promised he wouldn't. THE VERY NEXT TURN that settler builds a city LITERALLY on my border. It gets worse.

I had a SINGLE unit move through that new territory (which should not have been there) to get home. They gave me a warning to remove my troops (why? we're friends with open borders, and you just f--ked me), which I did. Several turns later he denounces me for breaking that promise, which I didn't, WHILE HE HAS 4 UNITS CLUSTERED AROUND MY GODDAMN CITY?!

So not only does the AI ignore requests, it lies, AND is a disgusting hypocrite with no sense of logic at all. I was really enjoying this entry into the series but holy horsehocky, it's ruined. Can't play this garbage.

I expect this to be among the first items fixed. I once had an airport with a couple biplanes parked there. Not even deployed, just sitting in the airport but that airport was within two tiles of an AI and he asked me to move my troops but I couldn't find anything that might be the problem. After the notification that I broke the promise I thought, "Could it be the airport that's causing the problem?" It was the only thing I could find that might be triggering it.

Did someone work out the number of tiles that triggers the penalty ?

2, 3, 4 tiles from border ? from city center ?

I was friends and had open borders with China. I told them not to settle new cities near me when I saw that they had a settler right on my borders. He apologised and promised he wouldn't. THE VERY NEXT TURN that settler builds a city LITERALLY on my border.
So not only does the AI ignore requests, it lies, AND is a disgusting hypocrite with no sense of logic at all.
I believe that this particular interaction may be unrelated to the "units on border" trigger.

Given the behavior of AI settlers (at least on 1.0.0.26, haven't dug into it post-patch) I believe China may well have intended to keep the promise of not settling close you but couldn't, as settlers seem to be fire-and-forget.

All this is just speculation on my part but it seems to hold up with my in-game experiences...

• The AI decides it needs to expands, queues a settler.
  • Upon completing the settler the AI evaluates known/explored plots for settlement locations and sends the settler towards it.
  • If the settler arrives at said plot and can found a city there, it will. Ignoring adjacent borders, available resources, potential diplomatic concern of extreme forward-settling etc. because it only evaluates the plot as last known immediately upon being built.
  • If the settler arrives at said plot and can't found a city there it largely mills about uselessly until it gets captured by barbarians or other civilizations, or eventually find a "safe" spot to hang out in. It's rare that it will try and found a city in another spot.
My take, assuming the above holds up, is that whatever behavioral modification your negotiations with China resulted in just weren't applied to the settler because it was already on its way, and never reevaluated its mission.

I've seen similar behavior with religious units, when asking the AI to stop spreading religion and having them agree only to break the promise in the next couple of rounds because their missionaries/apostles were already en route.

Top Bottom