SGOTM 13 - Pre-game discussions

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
To avoid cluttering the Signup thread ...

Please use this thread if you want to ask questions about the game, the rules or the SGOTM format.

Please don't use it for team discussions about strategy if you want to keep them private!

No Spam, please !!!!!

Is there any more info yall can provide on the map type?

Alan - I recommend a sticky again in the S&T forum and maybe the General as well. Let's make this the biggest one ever.

^ You don't have to post to subscribe to a thread, you can do this by selecting "Thread Tools" > "Subscribe to this Thread" and pick the kind of subscription you like. This reduces threadspamming :goodjob:

This wasn't intended as a spam thread :rolleyes:

Spam has been recycled.

I'll ask DS if he has a speed setting. He has already described the map. I doubt if you'll get much more info ... but you can hope.

Alan - I recommend a sticky again in the S&T forum and maybe the General as well. Let's make this the biggest one ever.
I didn't see any impact from the last one - it just gave me another discussion thread to watch.

The game speed will be epic.

More info about the map? I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise ;)

(I'm afraid my personal view is that teams that try playing the game on test maps to the level of detail that require precise knowledge of the coordinates of the starting position, before they play turnsets of the actual game are arguably not playing within the spirit of the GOTMs - ie. that each turn you play is supposed to be a step into the unknown on a game you've not played before, on an unfamiliar map).

I agree with DS.

As I understand the question, you are indicating that the precise north/south start position is significant, to within a single tile relative to the poles. Surely other unknowable factors are *far* more significant than that if you are trying to create a test map?

DS - I can appreciate that a certain amount of map knowledge is against the spirit of the game. I would not want to know that much either and like being surprised. However, although my question was very generalized, all I really want to know is the size of the map and what basic map it was based on.

Lymond I think the comment was more aimed for Sun Tzu Wu than you, as he asked for specific co-ordinates.

Lymond I think the comment was more aimed for Sun Tzu Wu than you, as he asked for specific co-ordinates.

Alan's was...I think DS was addressing us both

Well he specifically mentioned testing the map, something Sun Tzu Wu was talking about. Ah well it's the same difference anyway, looking like no info for Lymond.

Well he specifically mentioned testing the map, something Sun Tzu Wu was talking about. Ah well it's the same difference anyway, looking like no info for Lymond.

After I posted my response to you, I was going to go back and add that the comments in my post above were intentional. DS did initially address the question "more map info" and then an "aside" addressing Sun. I wanted to expression my agreement with DS that I would not want that much info about the map - which is true, but feel that some basic map info should be provided. In other words I was trying to build off the previous discussion.

(sorry for the spam DS and Alan - please delete)

Alan's was...I think DS was addressing us both

DS said "More info about the map? I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise", and I expect that was a reply to you all.

After that, my response, and DS's bracketed response, were both addressed to Sun Tzu Wu, since they both referred to precision in test maps.

^^^exactly...thanks :)

(ugh..even more spam...please delete:blush:)

I think any information that is available at hand when you have the save is fine to give out now. Like what is written under the F8 settings tab. No reason why the game speed is not given immediately.

Information that may technically be available, like through fog-gazing or demographics studying should not be given.
Otherwise, it is of course purely up to the game designer what to divulge about the map. I like that we don't know the base template of the map yet.

DS said "More info about the map? I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise", and I expect that was a reply to you all.

After that, my response, and DS's bracketed response, were both addressed to Sun Tzu Wu, since they both referred to precision in test maps.

That is exactly correct, as I think everyone has now figured :). The only part of my answer that was relevant to lymond was the first and second paragraphs. My comments about test maps and knowing the precise coordinates were in response to lymond.

I think any information that is available at hand when you have the save is fine to give out now. Like what is written under the F8 settings tab. No reason why the game speed is not given immediately.

The reason the game speed wasn't in the initial post was a simple oversight on my part :blush: I'll edit that information into that post as it is somewhat important!

1. Random events are on?
2. Tribal villages?

I would doubt it! Huts could be game changing if someone pops a tech or gets 2-3 barb warriors appears.

Same for events you can't predict the impact they may have on one game or another. Especially barb uprisings taking out the AI.

How will the fate of the unallocated be decided ? Should we make a request now, or wait for the administrators to decide which team to gimp with us ?

Top Bottom