[FULL] Putmalk's Ancient World Discussion Thread

The Spearman replacements are a bit underwhelming right now. I'm working on making those units more interesting.

Thoughts?

Could you perhaps give a list of them and what they're bonus is? It's been a bit since I've played (finals week here too), and I can't really remember.

In fact, maybe a list or something on the first page would be cool. You have a list of everything else, but not unique units, or traits I think.

Everything else that was on the post sounds epic though. Axemen were incredibly overpowered for their time-period. Now I wanna have see a game with Rome, Greece, and Persia in some epic classical wars.

Could you perhaps give a list of them and what they're bonus is? It's been a bit since I've played (finals week here too), and I can't really remember.

In fact, maybe a list or something on the first page would be cool. You have a list of everything else, but not unique units, or traits I think.

Okay, I'll get a list of that going soon.

From the updated patch notes on post #1 or 2:

• Mitannian Shukuthlu's cost increased to 56. They now have a 20% bonus when fighting in Desert and Plains.
  • Sumerian Vulture attack increased to 8.

The tech tree graphic is outdated. I'll work on a new one soon.

about the hoplites i think they can be given a bonus to open area as they were better at fighting there thanks to the phalanx and shield wall formation which was never defeated by a front attack

Has the latest patch broke stability for this mod? I haven't been actively modding until my finals are over.

Love the mod so far, please keep it coming.

I noticed that the swordsman does not have a graphic in strategic mode and none of the overlays will show you that there is a unit there. Makes it a bit difficult to play in this mode (old computer at parents house for the holidays...).

Appreciate the feedback. :D My finals are over today, I'll start modding again tomorrow. :D

Any unit that uses custom art defines (such as the Swordsman) will not show up on the strategic view overlay. It's a bug that I can't fix. I'm sorry. Strategic View play will be broken until that problem is fixed.

Glad you guys are enjoying it! I promise the next patch/civilization update will make the mod even better. :D

Quick update to the Version 7 patch notes.

• Persian units now also receive +1 Move during Golden Ages.
  • Phoenicia no longer receives a bonus to Custom Houses. Instead, they receive +2 Gold for every Fishing Boat.
  • Media no longer receives a bonus to Great Generals. Instead, they receive triple Gold for every Barbarian encampment and city they plunder.
  • Greece no longer receives a bonus when attacking city-states. Instead, they receive 20% Great General effectiveness.
  • Carthaginian Cothon now has no maintenance.
  • Slight tweaks to leader AI. For example, Alexander is much more generous towards City-States than before.

Playtesting for the civilization pack is almost complete and should be released before Christmas.

about the hoplites i think they can be given a bonus to open area as they were better at fighting there thanks to the phalanx and shield wall formation which was never defeated by a front attack

This is a contradiction since open areas are the best areas where to launch attacks that aren't frontal. The most famous greek victory is, in fact, in the mountain pass of Termopylae

The Greek Hoplites only receive a damage boost compared to their base unit, the Heavy Spearman. They will have the same attack as Roman Legions and one attack more than Swordsman (so the Greeks aren't very reliant on Iron as other civs are).

At the moment I feel this is balanced.

This is from my latest build, the notes of which can be seen on the main page. :)

firstly the greater hoplite victory wasnt thermopylae it was marathon.in thermopylae greeks didnt fought in rough terrain but in a small pass.the greek phalanx of hoplites needed much space to manuever and it couldnt form good in rough terrain.so in open terain with light units in the flank it was undefeatable.but i think the game is balanced so it is good as it is

There will be five maps in the map/civilization pack. One map hasn't been revealed as of yet.

The variety pack will be released tomorrow on Christmas Day.

Enjoy your Christmas Eve.

Quick notes update.

• Catapult no longer requires Iron resource
  • Catapult strength reduced to 4, ranged strength reduced to 9

Variety Pack 1 released! Introducing five new maps, Putmalk's Mediterranean, France, Mesopotamia, British Isles, and Greece! Also introducing two new civilizations, Celts and Mycenaeans!

Hope everyone enjoys. :D Feedback wanted! Please try out these new maps!

Downloads on the first post.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I'm also pretty happy to report I pretty much got a 4.0 on my first semester, so the wait was worth it. Thank you for all the support you guys have given on this mod. I can't wait to release Version 7!

Attachments

• British Isles Complete.jpg
    British Isles Complete.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Brennus DOM.jpg
    Brennus DOM.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 155
  • Mycenae DOM.jpg
    Mycenae DOM.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 100
I must say that I enjoyed my first playthrough of this mod. It certainly leads to a quicker than normal game, but the pacing felt good.

I must say that I enjoyed my first playthrough of this mod. It certainly leads to a quicker than normal game, but the pacing felt good.

:) Glad you enjoyed it.

Don't forget to pick up the newly released Celts and Mycenae pack + maps if you want more content to play around with.

The extra pack looks great. Thank-you for releasing it on Christmas day! I've already "stolen" the headhunter - great idea for a Celtic UU.

You're welcome and sure. :) Hope you find the Headhunter useful.

My plan for the next civilization pack is the Huns and the Assyrians. The Huns should be fun, I have some ideas for them. :)

It has come to my attention there is a serious crash issue regarding loading a saved game with the mod enabled.

Does anyone else have this problem or is it a problem with my Version 7 build only?

Í'm really excited about this mod! Sounds really good. When I have time I'll install it and give it a try. Especially the fact you have your own scenarios sounds great!

I've been looking for a list of scenarios, outof curiousity but also because I have some ideas for scenarios.

Not sure if something simmiliar is already in or planned, but how about a Peloponnesian war?

You could play as either Sparta, Athens or Persia. In all cases your goal is to control all of Greece.
Sparta should have a millitary advantage (recieve double experience for example), Athens should have a naval advantage (naval units may move after firing, pillaging doesn't cost movement points for naval units), Persia I'm not so sure about. Their true UA would actually do well.

The map would have all of greece, italy, but only a small part of current day turkey. This means Persia only has part of their empire on the map and they recieve some reinforcements on a regular basis (either units or gold).

Persia would start with the few cities it has on the map, these will however be fairly low on population and Greece will be largely unexplored for Persia.

Athens and Sparta will start with only their capital. All other Greek cities of any meaning are represented as CS. However, by allying them they become puppet cities of yours and you gain control over their armies. Still, the tribute bar remains and once they are no longer your ally they will go back to being CS and you lose control over the units again. You can also gain control of a CS by conquering them, in which case they also become puppets and you get their remaining army. All players will start with a few CS on friendly.

Since all spots of any use in Greece will be taken by CS, the only places left to settle will be colonies, either near Persia, in Italy or on the islands.

The game will revolve alot around allying CS, either by money or by conquest. This is the easiest way to grow your empire and millitary, although settling colonies will help you too. You can win either by taking all the greek cities, one way or the other, or taking out the other two capitals. This will not be easy since they will have a large millitary, since they are also allying and/or conquering CS to increase their power and army.

Alternatively, Persia could not be a player but a special CS, having several cities, and costing more gold to ally. But once allied it will send invasions to your enemy on a regular basis.

I think such a scenario could easily be made with both a realistic map and a random inland sea map (Athens should obviously have ocean bias).

Any good?

Top Bottom