City State Diplomacy Mod (Updated)

This is odd... I upgraded to v 28 but now I do not get any diplomatic units... sort of.

I cannot build them with the appropriate tech... but they do show up in my pedia... as cost == FREE
I look in the debug database file and they seem set to the right costs.
I do run with a bunch of mods and am not new to modding myself.
None of my other mods look like they should interfere but yet... cannot build these units.

In fact while I type this I decided to make a little search and I bet it is because the UnitClasses table entries for diplo units are all missing.

But I can see no other mod I play with affecting this table in this way not can I see any reason why the CSD mod would fail to load that file... and yet, those entries are not present.

Hmmm....

[edit: unless the md5 hash in the modinfo was wrong...
actually nope... the unitcombatinfo is there]

This is odd... I upgraded to v 28 but now I do not get any diplomatic units... sort of.

I cannot build them with the appropriate tech... but they do show up in my pedia... as cost == FREE
I look in the debug database file and they seem set to the right costs.
I do run with a bunch of mods and am not new to modding myself.
None of my other mods look like they should interfere but yet... cannot build these units.

In fact while I type this I decided to make a little search and I bet it is because the UnitClasses table entries for diplo units are all missing.

But I can see no other mod I play with affecting this table in this way not can I see any reason why the CSD mod would fail to load that file... and yet, those entries are not present.

Hmmm....

[edit: unless the md5 hash in the modinfo was wrong...
actually nope... the unitcombatinfo is there]

Try clearing your mod cache. I bet you all the tea in china that will fix the problem. I have know idea why it happens, but upgrading CSD without clearing mod cache causes this problem.

Clearing the cache was excellent advice... I hope you like tea :p

No more problems

It should. You may have to add the files directly to your main civ install (instead of treating it as a mod), as I haven't used this with MP. Its set to work with MP, so let me know if it doesn't.

Sorry to get back so late, but what main civ install? /common/civ5 ? or a folder within the civ5 folder

It gets a bit complicated. Essentially, you would be integrating CSD into your civ5 game as if it was not a mod. Any vanilla file edited by CSD as a mod would have to be overwritten. For example, to make my diplomatic units, I edit the unitartdefines.xml in my mod. To make CSD part of civ 5, you would replace your vanilla unitartdefines.xml file with CSD's. This could potentially break other mods you use and/or your civ5 install, so keep that in mind.

Doesnt work.

Why is AI walking around with tens of diplomats? Its never using them either.

The AI should use them– when at war (or considering war), the AI typically won't send defenseless units outside of its borders. Sometimes the AI just randomly builds them even when its not considering allying a CS. It happens. Be careful, though, because when the AI does decide to use them, it will typically send all available diplomats to just one or two CSs.

another stupid question lol

"Removed 'kill other City-State' quest, as it was a dead-end quest and ruined quest diversity. Quest can be enabled by deleting/renaming the QuestChanges.xml file in the CSD/Gameplay folder"

I can't find that file anywhere. I only have 5 XML files in the gameplay folder (AIChanges, CityStates, CityStateText, GoldGifting, UNChange)

another stupid question lol

"Removed 'kill other City-State' quest, as it was a dead-end quest and ruined quest diversity. Quest can be enabled by deleting/renaming the QuestChanges.xml file in the CSD/Gameplay folder"

I can't find that file anywhere. I only have 5 XML files in the gameplay folder (AIChanges, CityStates, CityStateText, GoldGifting, UNChange)

I think I removed that file but forgot to remove the text on the front page of the mod. Oops.

Is there a reason for that? I was kinda looking forward to that useless quest being removed...

I need to suggest to lower the Villa culture flavor to be lower than Temple as it in some way collide with Thal Unofficial Patch.
What happens is that picking a Ceremonial Rite policy ( grands free culture buildings ) grands free Villas instead of Temple or Monastery.

Thats a bit problematic.

GL HF

Hey guys, just got to say brilliant mod! Really opens up diplomacy as a fun and challenging option rather than an accounting exercise :thanx:
I was wondering if it's possible to restrict the number of civs up for election maybe by score(+ person who makes the UN), causing inter-civ relations to have an effect ? I realise this probably isn't possible due to modding complications, but just thought i'd throw it out there!
(this my first post here and haven't been able to play the mod in a while, so I've missed the discussions on this please ignore me :))

A few suggestions for aesthetics of the first post. :)

1. Bird icon with an alpha map, so it's seamless on the forum's off-white background.
  2. Size 6 text for the first post title. Size 7 wraps the line on some monitors.
    Spoiler :
  3. Quote under the screenshot like a caption, instead of above.
  4. "Navy" color for the title/mission/design/includes headers, to match your use of that color later down the post.
  5. Formatted some of the intro sections.

If you quote this post, you can copy the bbcode from below:

City-State Diplomacy Mod (CSD)

“If you can't go around it, over it, or through it, you had better negotiate with it.”
Ashleigh Brilliant

- Mission -

To give Civilization V a better, more realistic simulation of geopolitics via a new system of city-state diplomacy.

- Design Philosophy -

This mod is a complete overhaul of the city-state diplomacy system. It reduces the importance of the 'Gifts of Gold' and introduces a new, unit-based system of influence.

Players are now encouraged to build and use diplomatic units and/or complete city-state quests if they want to earn influence. Because diplomacy now requires production, time and energy, players must actively and consciously strive to maintain good relations with neighboring city-states. Furthermore, diplomatic units, being defenseless, are liable to capture or destruction if sent too far from safety, thus long-distance diplomacy now utilizes a risk-reward system. The AI has been trained to utilize this system, so do not be surprised to see diplomatic units from many different civilizations criss-crossing the world in search of influence!

- This Mod Includes -

This mod includes 5 new diplomatic units, two new diplomacy-centric buildings, two new national wonders, a modified Patronage tree and a substantial overhaul of the AI's city-state diplomacy mechanic. See the spoiler below for more details.

A few suggestions for aesthetics of the first post.
Thanks, Thal! I've been meaning to do a bit of clean-up on the main page for some time now. I eventually plan on asking for a sub-forum, though I am waiting cautiously to see what Gods and Kings does to CSD (in particular, if it obsoletes my mod).

I was wondering if it's possible to restrict the number of civs up for election maybe by score(+ person who makes the UN), causing inter-civ relations to have an effect ? I realise this probably isn't possible due to modding complications, but just thought i'd throw it out there!

I'm not sure we have much control over how voting calculations are totaled (yet!). Maybe, eventually, we'll get something.

I need to suggest to lower the Villa culture flavor to be lower than Temple as it in some way collide with Thal Unofficial Patch.
What happens is that picking a Ceremonial Rite policy ( grands free culture buildings ) grands free Villas instead of Temple or Monastery.

Yeah, that is a problem. For a quick fix, go to the CSD folder, find my buildings.xml file and delete the <culture>1 line from villa. I can also make a Thal-compatible .xml file for CSD's buildings which removes the culture bonus from the villa at some point if this is a widespread complaint.

In vem I recently created an AI purchase system. I've now added a check so that if both vem and CSD are used by a player, the AI can only purchase diplomacy units, instead of direct influence. I'm also working on preventing vanilla from purchasing influence directly with the AI. If this works, I could hide the direct purchase capability from human players using CSD and the game could entirely on your unit system.

Is this a goal you'd like to pursue, or do you want to keep direct purchases available?

I tried the quick fix, but unfortunately that didnt solve the problem. Just to make sure: it is the <Type>BUILDING_HALL</Type> in the CSDBuildings.xml file, right? The Villa doesnt give culture anymore now but still gets built instead of Temples, which makes that policy quite useless now when using VEM.
If you could provide an alternative file for VEM users that would be awesome.

Top Bottom