City State Diplomacy Mod (Updated)

I tried the quick fix, but unfortunately that didnt solve the problem. Just to make sure: it is the <Type>BUILDING_HALL</Type> in the CSDBuildings.xml file, right? The Villa doesnt give culture anymore now but still gets built instead of Temples, which makes that policy quite useless now when using VEM.
If you could provide an alternative file for VEM users that would be awesome.

I'll look into it– that should have fixed it, though it may be the FLAVOR_CULTURE. I haven't looked at VEM's code to see how it is determined, but I'll do some hunting.
G

In vem I recently created an AI purchase system. I've now added a check so that if both vem and CSD are used by a player, the AI can only purchase diplomacy units, instead of direct influence. I'm also working on preventing vanilla from purchasing influence directly with the AI. If this works, I could hide the direct purchase capability from human players using CSD and the game could entirely on your unit system.

Is this a goal you'd like to pursue, or do you want to keep direct purchases available?

Brilliant work. That is what I had in mind, though after weeks of fiddling with the XML I assumed it was not possible to tweak the AI purchasing system until we had better access to the core files of the game. Ideally, I'd like to see gold purchases removed entirely, as it makes no sense to me that every other aspect of the game except the diplomatic victory is based on turns or change over time. Sure, you need x amount of gold to achieve said victory, but you can stockpile the necessary gold and then spend it all at once. Odd, that.

In short, if there's anything I can do to help, or you need/desire any or all of the files from CSD, let me know. I'd be more than happy to hand CSD over to you, as you are vastly more skilled in LUA and other languages than myself.
G

Sorry for the multiple posts. Thanks to Thal's help, I've implemented a fairly functional Options system that allows each player to tailor CSD to their tastes. Basic mod functionality (units, buildings) remain steadfast, however other aspects of the current mod (and previous versions) are now implemented as mod options. Players will be able to adjust the influence earned per diplomatic unit, the rate of decay of the gold:influence ratio for gold gifts, free units from the UN, turn policies on and off, and more.

This option system will also address compatibility issues with popular mods such as CivUP/VEM.

I will post the working version (v29) of the mod here- please let me know if there are any glaring problems/omissions/requests before I make this version official.

All available options are in the Options.sql file in the main mod directory. Options are set to the default values for CSD, so, unless you are using a mod with compatibility problems, you don't even need to open this file (unless you just really like fiddling with knobs).

Also, make sure to clear your cache before you load the new version.
Many thanks!
G

EDIT (4/5/12): All aspects of CSD except for units, buildings, unit promotions and AI behavior can now be modified/disabled via the Options.sql.

Hi ya Gaz
This may have been answered before but things have changed in the last few weeks and I'm a little confused. With VEM and this mod enabled, does the AI use the city state gold gifting mechanism (direct influence), or has Thal turned that off?

Thanks for the great mod.
Cheers

The AI uses only CSD diplomats when you combine CSD+VEM. In v149.3 I also disabled gold gifts for the human player, so all players use the CSD system. :)

Good to know CSD & VEM+UP are compatible. Just wanted to know if InfoAddict also compatible with these two?

Good to know CSD & VEM+UP are compatible. Just wanted to know if InfoAddict also compatible with these two?

Should be. I do not believe our mods update the same files. Let me know if there are any problems and I'll make a compatibility version.

I haven't heard anything back concerning problems with the latest version of CSD, so I'm going to make it the official next version tonight.
G

Just as an FYI, (if your computer is like mine):

When I double clicked on it to open it, or when I right click and choose open it went to the "Find a program to open this file with" window.

However if you simply right click on the Options.sql file there is an option for "EDIT". That works fine. Opens right up.

Just as an FYI, (if your computer is like mine):

When I double clicked on it to open it, or when I right click and choose open it went to the "Find a program to open this file with" window.

However if you simply right click on the Options.sql file there is an option for "EDIT". That works fine. Opens right up.

Yep. .sql files can be opened in textedit if the 'edit' button isn't there. Works like a charm!
G

Hey Gazebo, do you have any idea if this mod is compatible with the Emigration & Foreign Trade Routes Mod? I had it working right up until I added in these Mods, though I haven't isolated the problem mod yet ;-).

Aussie.

Hey Gazebo, do you have any idea if this mod is compatible with the Emigration & Foreign Trade Routes Mod? I had it working right up until I added in these Mods, though I haven't isolated the problem mod yet ;-).

Aussie.

I haven't used this mod, but I'd be happy to look into compatibility problems for you. Where can I find this mod and/or its respective forum post? CSD consists mainly of new content, not overwrites, though conflicts can occur for a great many unexpected reasons. Also, are you using the latest version of CSD (the one with the options.sql file)?

Greetings everyone! Now that we have a better idea of what G&K is bringing to the table changes-wise, I think it is time to consider how to mesh CSD with the new gameplay mechanics. I am still committed to the geopolitical nature of this mod (i.e. the diplo units themselves), though I imagine the influence values and costs of units will have to be modified to compensate for the new ways to gain influence with city-states.

Question 1: Should early-game diplo units produce small amounts of faith when expended? Should this value decrease over time (i.e. modern units produce less and less faith)? If so, should the early units be given a religion-flavored title (Messenger --> Pilgrim/Priest)?

Question 2: Should diplo units provide any sort of espionage-related bonuses? For example, if possible, should the diplo units grant experience to spies when expended?

Question 3: Should the buildings/national wonders of CSD be retained, or should they be folded into the buildings being introduced in G&K?

Discuss! I'm signed up for the workshop, so, depending on the decisions made from here until late June, CSD should be available on launch day (let's hope!).

As always,
Gazebo

I think the diplo units should operate solely in a modded espionage window: it would retain the production->influence mechanic but remove the micro of moving the unit into the CS' borders (which is a turnoff for some I've heard). Presumably the AI will be evn more capable of using this system over the current one as well - no more diplo units standing around cities or outside of CS borders. If implemented, I would suggest that the first limiting factor should be a "turn to arrive" number, representing travel time*, which would speed up through the eras. It may be feasible to have new diplo units increase influence amount as well (finally!). Another thought: diplo units could be stationed in CS cities on missions to slow influence depreciation and/or intercept and sabotage other civs' diplo units attempting to gain influence. Sorry for the unstructured brainstorming (and not actually answering any of your questions:p), but I see so much potential here! Heck, you might be able to give diplo units diplomatic actions with other major civs as well.:D

*Actally, now that I think about it, this would be great for all diplomatic actions, it would make the game a great deal more immersive..

I do agree that diplo unit should have some limited espionage capacity, but I would miss the micro management of moving/protecting them if you should to do so. It add immersion IMO.

But a better "move to" mission and allowing civil units to stack with a military unit of a civ you've got a open border agreement would be welcome (out of this mod scope, and requiring DLL, I know)

Edit : I also like the travelling time relative to distance idea for mission as a replacement.

I think the diplo units should operate solely in a modded espionage window: it would retain the production->influence mechanic but remove the micro of moving the unit into the CS' borders (which is a turnoff for some I've heard). Presumably the AI will be evn more capable of using this system over the current one as well - no more diplo units standing around cities or outside of CS borders. If implemented, I would suggest that the first limiting factor should be a "turn to arrive" number, representing travel time*, which would speed up through the eras. It may be feasible to have new diplo units increase influence amount as well (finally!). Another thought: diplo units could be stationed in CS cities on missions to slow influence depreciation and/or intercept and sabotage other civs' diplo units attempting to gain influence. Sorry for the unstructured brainstorming (and not actually answering any of your questions:p), but I see so much potential here! Heck, you might be able to give diplo units diplomatic actions with other major civs as well.:D

*Actally, now that I think about it, this would be great for all diplomatic actions, it would make the game a great deal more immersive..

While I agree with the latter aspect of your brainstorming, I'm wary of abandoning the unit-system. All of the game's non-combat mechanics are already relegated to menus (science, production, espionage, policies, etc.), thus making CSD do this would add yet another menu and would take away from a peaceful player's on-screen actions.

Hopefully the new 'missionary' units (with icons eerily similar to CSDs, mind you) will open up a few more actions that I can tweak to improve the actions of diplomats (such as the leave-a-diplomat-in-a-city-state-to-reduce-influence-decay idea)

Gedemon said:
I do agree that diplo unit should have some limited espionage capacity, but I would miss the micro management of moving/protecting them if you should to do so. It add immersion IMO.

Indeed– my thought was that diplomats, when expended in a city-state, might either a.) give a temporary boost to the chances of an espionage action succeeding in said city-state or b.) give active spies an incremental boost to xp (more diplomatic information from city-states=better spies).

Keep up the ideas!

I also would miss the micro-management of moving units around on the map.

However, I feel the religious mechanics of great prophets can probably be kept separate, seeing as religion is likely to have a strong diplomatic effect on city states already as it is.

For espionage, it's hard to see yet how that can be incorporated.
However, I am intrigued by the idea of letting later diplomacy units basically function as on-screen spies themselves - maybe by letting them be invisible and giving them a large sight radius and the ability to reveal other invisible units. I'm not sure how the 1UPT would handle invisible land units - but at any rate some kind of late-game reconnaissance unit is missing from the game, especially when you look at how air units can no longer do recon flights.

just a thought: I also wonder what would happen if we were to treat some of these late units as specialized combat units that could pillage improvements and attack other spies/damage city defenses.

Top Bottom