Firaxis at Pax East 2014 - Speculations?

Time to go into hibernation for 2 1/2 weeks.

I have no idea what could happen in there, really. Seems like there is going to be a firaxis booth in a video game convention.

They are going to announce the MadDjinn Civilization. (true story!)

UA; Constant ally with city-states named Ragusa, and each time you start building a settler production will switch to something else (so you always miss out on the good spots).
UU; Dumb Scout. Replaces Scout. Can not be automated (even if there is only 1 tile left to explore).
UB; Rainbow barracks. Replaces Barracks. All future XCOM squads have ridiculously bright (and girly) coloured armour.

... dont release a Civ LP in like forever and this is what you get... :p

UA; Constant ally with city-states named Ragasu, and each time you start building a settler production will switch to something else (so you always miss out on the good spots).

You spelled "Ragasu" wrong.

*Dumb Scoot.

Speaking of MadDjinn. Today he posted his 1000th youtube video with a review of his uploads there. He pointed out the longer breaks he took before G&K and BNW were released, because of obvious reasons. Not so long ago he announced that he won't be recording new stuff until May. I wonder why. :crazyeye:

Speaking of MadDjinn. Today he posted his 1000th youtube video with a review of his uploads there. He pointed out the longer breaks he took before G&K and BNW were released, because of obvious reasons. Not so long ago he announced that he won't be recording new stuff until May. I wonder why. :crazyeye:

Here's why.

Cant blame him, thats a real strategy game. At the same time, I wish he could find the time to do another LP before Civ 6.

Yeah, I can't blame him either; I think EUIV's a seriously good game (sunk 350+ hours into myself). I just can't watch his current LP because a) I hate seeing England on the European continent and b) he subjugated Ireland (which also bugs the heck out of me).

I'm disappointed if PAX isn't about Civ VI or a new expansion! :D

Out of Topic, what's the best way to Learn EUIV? Playing the demo, playing tutiorials or watching youtube-videos?

I kind of hope they announce a version for consoles. I liked Civ Rev. It wasn't near as in depth as the pc games, but it was nice to get the feel of Civ and playing a game in about 1/4 of the time. Would be great if they ported Civ IV to Xbox One of PS4. Hell, even Civ III. You would think the consoles would be able to handle a 5 to 10 year old pc game. Maybe not though....

As for the controls argument, I don't see the issue. For one, both new consoles can use keyboards. Don't see why a controller couldn't be used either considering 80% of the clicks on the pc game are ENTER. Tropico did it well. A little confusing at first, but you get used to it.

Out of Topic, what's the best way to Learn EUIV? Playing the demo, playing tutiorials or watching youtube-videos?

Yes.

Candidly all are helpful, and no single method may get you there. If you are a visual learner, LPs are great, assuming the commentary and screen resolution are good -- both MadDjinn and Arumba do a good job with EUIV, IMO, but make sure you are watching videos about the current patch. If you only absorb information that passes through your finger-tips (i.e., you learn best by doing), then tutorials are probably better. I would also recommend browsing the EUIV forum: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?731-Europa-Universalis-IV
Like these forums, you need a decent baseline of knowledge about the game to appreciate many of the posts, but they are very useful once you do.

I've learned the most from MadDjinn and Shenryyr. The both post quality LPs and Shenryyr is particularly interesting - he plays and streams EU4 very frequently, and he's good at the game - though he most often assumes that the watcher already knows something about the game. MadDjinn tries to explain more things as he goes, so a newcomer is not THAT confused ;)

Arumba, Shenryyr, and MadDjinn are all good:

Arumba's an excellent YouTuber and knows how to play the game; he's good at explaining stuff but has a tendency to mess up and not realize why (so, very good to learn from - just don't emulate him too much!)

Shenryyr is one of the funnier YouTubers and is an excellent player. I've learned a lot from him.

MadDjinn you can't go wrong with, of course; he's well worth watching though still can mess up from time to time.

Otherwise, I don't really advocate Quill18/NorthernLion/Mathas/etc.

I have found myself shouting at the screen when watching MD and Arumba (Increase your army maintenance! That army needs a leader! Argh!), and both are likely to acknowledge as they do something that "this may be a bad idea, but ..."

As you say, often you can learn more from other people's mistakes than from flawless play.

Firaxis has been asking community members to give them feedback on the Facebook page, with posts like
"How would you modify the Barbarian?"
They've also been talking a lot about community mods intended to clean up gameplay. This could potentially be a method of data collection before they start designing the new civ game.

Firaxis has been asking community members to give them feedback on the Facebook page, with posts like
"How would you modify the Barbarian?"
They've also been talking a lot about community mods intended to clean up gameplay. This could potentially be a method of data collection before they start designing the new civ game.

Civ 6: Social Edition

Everything you do is posted on a social feed.

Twitter/Facebook required. (i have both and like twitter to post random news)

In all seriousness, I wouldn't be opposed to better twitter/goggle +/blogger/worpress integration in the next game so we can report on a game, with screenshots, maps, commentary as we play, without it being a Lets Play, which kind of destroys a lot of magic for me in terms of revisiting stories about a game and its all just a video feed. There's no roleplay, and narrative.

I take back what I said before. It is starting to look like some kind of civ related announcement. I still mostly suspect a spinoff, but it could be the beginning of the hype train for VI. There is also a significant possibility that they are porting Civ V to mobile devices finally, although the setup for this seems too big for that announcement.

Top Bottom