AW's New Civilizations | The Sixteen Nation Project [G&K/BNW]

How should the Berbers be updated?

• Total voters
This is it - the one you've all been waiting for!

Witness the ultimate battle between the acronym kings!

At last we will be able to answer the age old questions:

Which is better - GaK or BNW?
Which is better - Firaxis or the CP?
Which is better - Poland or New Zealand (backed by Poland)

This Saturday night, the fields of Flanders will pay host to the greatest battle since the Nile:

IT'S AW VS JFD!!!

(Am I hype man now?)

Just encountered a bug where I am unable to convert my cities back to my religion (they were converted to another by another civ), and it appears to be being caused by Livonia's lua :|.

Code:
[436817.968] IGE_Window: dumping religions:
[436817.968] IGE_Window: 14:0, 15:0, 16:0, 17:0, 18:0, 19:0, 20:0, 21:0, 22:0, 23:0, 24:0, 25:0, 26:0, 27:0, 28:0, 29:0, 30:0, 31:0, 32:0, 33:0, 34:0, 35:0, 36:0, 37:0, 38:0, 39:0, 40:0, 41:0, 42:0, 43:0, 44:0, 45:0, 46:0, 47:0, 48:0, 49:0, 50:0, 51:0, 52:0, 53:0, 54:0, 55:0, 56:0, 57:0, 58:0, 59:3, 60:0, 61:0, 62:0, 63:0, 64:0, 65:0, 66:0, 67:0, 68:0, 69:0, 70:0, 71:0, 72:0, 73:0, 74:0, 75:0, 76:0, 77:0, 78:0, 79:0, 80:0, 81:4, 82:0, 83:0, 84:0, 85:0, 86:0, 87:0, 88:0, 89:0, 90:0, 91:0, 92:0, 93:0, 94:0, 95:0, 96:0, 97:0, 98:0, 99:0, 100:0, 101:0, 102:0, 103:0, 0:0, -1:0
[436817.968] IGE_Window: Done fully adopting
[436817.984] AW_Livonia_DeclareCrusade: Bah! Heathens are trying to corrupt our cities! Let us remove their influence!
[436817.984] AW_Livonia_DeclareCrusade: Heathen influence removed!
[436817.984] IGE_Window: Done increasing minorities.
[436817.984] IGE_Window: Done lowering majority.
[436817.984] IGE_Window: IGE_Update
[436817.984] IGE_Window: IGE_SetMouseMode, mode=2
[436818.203] IGE_Window: NotificationAdded 427 1912276298 -1 -1 "Your City Converted" "Jaxartes has been converted to another religion!"

Bump!

Also, Catalhoyuk's hunter gatherer UI prompts show up for player 1 rather than Catalhoyuk, meaning that they don't choose their bonuses when they're an AI player :|.

Can confirm the Catalhoyuk bug, I reported it earlier.

It's not supposed to check to see if the player is Livonia - I purposely don't check for civilization in UC Lua scripts so that they're not dysfunctional in the hands of another civilization (who would obtain it through, say, IGE or city states gifting units) - although I did leave out the Preceptory code that should check for a Preceptory. :p
I believe Livonia (or one of the God Wills It civs anyway, I don't remember; the one that gives errors) makes use of some code adapted from IGE for converted individual citizens to a specified religion... which IIRC didn't go through rigorous enough testing to make sure that it was properly adapted.

And I know Georgia's UA is screwy and makes cities invincible - I found this out the hard way, curiously, not attacking Georgia, but attacking Kurdistan. :hmm:

(I should note that I played a game with several of my civs. Was I one of my civs? No, and most of my civs ended up hating me - Urartu ended up being my only friend. I guess that what I get for playing an MC civ :p)
That said... having taken over large swaths of land and scoring top place - without any help from Urartu - I think I did pretty well... don't tell Pookie

So I've got a to-do list piling up, I guess is what I'm saying. Plus Catalhoyuk notoriously needs lots of fixes and the Berber update is way overdue. And something with Kurdistan, I think. Anyone want to start a list?

-----------------------------------------

Also, we're getting really close to the 16th civ, so I feel like I should do something special or it may be anticlimactic. But, I have no ideas. Any suggestions?

Hello, i'm not sure if anyone has already reported this but when i'm playing as the Samanids, the Deserting Calvary event happens and there is not option to choose thus keeping me from continuing my game.

Edit: actually i was able to continue my game by exiting to the the main menu and loading up my save

Also, we're getting really close to the 16th civ, so I feel like I should do something special or it may be anticlimactic. But, I have no ideas. Any suggestions?

Wait, so you named this thread The Sixteen Nation Project without knowing which 16 civs you wanted to make - just that you wanted to make a total of 16 civs?!?!?!? That's awfully peculiar :crazyeye:

Hello, i'm not sure if anyone has already reported this but when i'm playing as the Samanids, the Deserting Calvary event happens and there is not option to choose thus keeping me from continuing my game.

Edit: actually i was able to continue my game by exiting to the the main menu and loading up my save
It has been reported. I haven't released an official fix or update for this, but I did track down the problem and released a .zip file with the fixed E&D files in this post , along with extremely poorly worded directions to override the files in your C:\Users\*your name*\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization V\MODS\AW's Samanid Empire Mod\Compatibility\Events and Decisions folder with the files in the zip.
Wait, so you named this thread The Sixteen Nation Project without knowing which 16 civs you wanted to make - just that you wanted to make a total of 16 civs?!?!?!? That's awfully peculiar :crazyeye:
No, I knew which civs I was going to make. I had all 16 civs decided on back when I was making... what, the Berbers? Now, those original 16 civs have changed QUITE a bit since then - case in point:
Spoiler :
THE ORIGINAL 16NP

...but I have known for many years that I was only going to get around to making 16. I decided back then that I would make sets of 8 civs, and around civ #6 or #7 I realized I was probably only going to have the time to make 2 sets. Hence, 16 civs.

There are more I think would be interesting to make, but that would require a whole new set, which I don't have the time for :/

So... no special celebration for the 16th civ? No 16NP civ, no round of updates (Compatibility mostly, plus maybe Berbers), no meme war, nothing? 'cause that's going to be one disappointing release. :p
I mean, Bel- I mean, the hitherto undisclosed civ is cool, but it's nothing face-melting.

So... no special celebration for the 16th civ? No 16NP civ, no round of updates (Compatibility mostly, plus maybe Berbers), no meme war, nothing? 'cause that's going to be one disappointing release. :p
I mean, Bel- I mean, the hitherto undisclosed civ is cool, but it's nothing face-melting.

You're doing a civ based on Belloq from Raiders of the Lost Ark? Or a Hovito/Jibito civ?

Oh crap he's onto us, abort mission

Also, I've started a bug report list that I'll use for making fixes. It should be set so that anyone with the link can edit, so report away!
Ya Done Messed Up, AW
It doesn't have every bug so far reported on it, but I think there's a fair amount there to begin.

One idea I've been toying with is making a Berber split, rather than just a Berber update. The reason is, essentially, that there's just too much cool stuff about the Berbers that it would be difficult to cram into one civ. Aghrems.* Takobas. Numidian cavalry. Kels. The Inadan caste. Nomads. I don't know how to make one civ represent all of it, even when incorporating E&D.

Maybe it would be split into, say, Numidia (Masinissa, Offensive civ), Berbers overall (Kahina or Kusaila, civ bias is anyone's guess) and the Tuareg (Tin Hinan still?, gold based civ). Overall Berbers might give me the chance to incorporate Bir Tawil's city roaming code into a serious civ, to simulate a nomadic civ. I would tentatively organize it thus:

Spoiler :
Numidia (Massinissa)
UA - I like the idea of captured cities being in eternal resistance and 0 HP until recaptured
UU - Numidian cavalry (obviously we'll have to rename this)
UB - Aghrem (because castles, so it would fit with the war theme)

Berbers (Kahina/Kusaila)
UA - You get to move cities around
UU - Imajaghan (Knight)
UB - Kel

Tuareg (Tin Hinan)
UA - salt salt salt salt salt
UU - Takoba
UB - Inadan (Forge)

So here's the problem:

In a nutshell, because I'm OCD.**

I divide civs up in sets of 8, each of which MUST have EXACTLY ONE civ for the following categories: Defence, Offence, Food, Production, Gold, Culture, Science, and Religion. The current - crappy - Berber civ occupies a deprecated Offence slot, and would be ported into an open Gold slot. Even so, the split would add two more civs with nowhere to put them. I'm stubborn and that's not going to change anytime soon.

A possible workaround is that, in my mind, "special" civs are exempt from the strict 16-civ quota. This is why April Fools Day civs and World of Asmos aren't counted, as well as a couple more I've got in the works. Collaborations would in theory also be exempt.

So, I have to decide whether a split should be considered "special and inherently different" so as to be exempt from the 16-civ quota. If so, then we need a new gold civ to replace the currently planned Berber update. Enter Yamhad.

The point of all this is that I'm terrible at deciding things and I need other people's input. What are your opinions on...
  • ...creating a split of a non-vanilla civ?
  • ...3 distinct Berber civs?
  • ...the current tentative designs of the hypothetical Berber civs?
  • ...replacing the current gold-based Berber design with Yamhad?
  • ...opening up the tentative split for collaboration?
Vote one, vote all! (Maybe I should ring Pouakai up to change the thread into a poll?)

* Technically, the plural is igherman, I know.
** Not clinically.***
*** As far as I know, anyway.

Attachments

• foo.png
    foo.png
    143.3 KB · Views: 254
...No one has any opinion?

I've actually developed an interest in Dilmun and Himyar as possible Gold civilizations as well, so now I have 3 to decide between:
Spoiler :

This is basically what I spent the past 4 days making.

...and yes, I'm aware Gedemo has already made a Himyarite civ. Dilmun and Yamhad should be wide open though.

Honestly, I do really want to make the Berber split, so I'd like to make one of these and open up the Berber split for collaboration with anyone who wants to. It's a matter now of which of these to make:
  • Dilmun would probably focus on dates/copper/pearls
  • Himyar would focus on incense/ivory/spices
  • Yamhad... uh... well, they were kind of a middleman, basically, mainly for caravans and the copper trade. And they would get a bit-hilani UB because why not.

And then whichever doesn't get picked I'd be willing to collaborate on.

I'd like to decide this before I finish the "mystery" :)p * 42 quintillion) civ, so I have a plan for afterwards, so 16NP doesn't die right after the 16th civ is released.

So I've requested a poll to be added to the thread because... uh, well, people like to vote in polls, basically. It's a strange human instinct :crazyeye:

Having never heard about the Dilmun before, I think I'll go with them. Another Himyar civ in addition to Gedemo's would definitely be welcome as well.

That said, a potential Berber split is by far what I would appreciate the most! I don't have time to get involved in the project I'm afraid, but I hope others will if that means it will see the light of day eventually.

Having never heard about the Dilmun before...
That's what's appealing about all of them! :D

Spoiler Long ramble about Dilmun :

Dilmun had a much more expansive empire than you'd ever realize just by reading the Wikipedia page, which seems to - erroneously - portray it as a single small settlement on Bahrain.* In fact, it was a commercial power stretching from Qatar to Kuwait in the days of the Sumerians, who revered Dilmun as a sacred place in their universe creation myth.
And Magan is some place that apparently is mentioned in Sumerian texts as having a lot of copper. It's speculated to be in Oman but no one's actually sure. :dunno:

I like civs that no one's heard of, but about which we have sufficient knowledge about to make civ. Urartu, for instance, or perhaps the Samanids, if you're not - like I wasn't - familiar with the dynasties of medieval Persia. So I guess that makes me kind of like Hiram, except that I go for easier targets.

* Okay, so the English article does say this: The scholarly consensus is that Dilmun encompassed Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar and the coastal regions of the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia. But that's definitely not made clear by the map shown, which is labeled "Map showing approximate location of the Dilmun civilization in Bahrain" and shows only one spot.

Poll's up thanks to Rob (R8XFT)!

This video, BTW, is great for getting civ ideas.
And also, maa boiiiii Samanids 2:30 in this one

Heh, I discovered that I'm personally responsible for 2/3 of the results you get if you google "Qabrupiat":
Spoiler :

...well, that was pretty much all I wanted to say. :p

Anyway, it looks like Berber split + Dilmun has taken the lead, so... do we declare that the winner, or wait a few more days?

I'm thinking, like, madbasa UB for Dilmun. Or a date plantation. Get me some of those dates #givemethedates
Spoiler :

Top Bottom