Random Thoughts Five: Ya rolls the dice, ya takes yer chances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did a study asking me a bunch of questions about my opinions on "higher-weight" individuals. That phrasing struck me as a bit weird.

People tiptoeing around my weight is more offensive than simply calling me what I am. :lol:

It also asked me if I'd be willing to deface billboards that "portray higher-weight individuals in a negative light." Uh, no, I'm not going to go around vandalizing other people's property.

It wasn't a poll; it was a want ad. You were right to decline.

This is fascinating

http://nowiknow.com/losing-the-htrkos-in-the-woods/

Our ancient ancestors were so worried about bears, they didn’t even want to name them because they feared [the bears] might overhear and come after them. So they came up with this word — this is up in Northern Europe — bruin, meaning “the brown one” as a euphemism, and then bruin segued into bear. We know the euphemism, but we don’t know what word it replaced, so bear is the oldest-known euphemism.

Is that fascinating?

Does a htrkos s*** in the woods?

I find some of the etymological reasoning in there a little suspect.

But in a somewhat similar vein, if you look up the OED's definition of dog, you get like four long paragraphs (for most words you get a sentence or two) that amount to "we don't know where the hell this word comes from." Dog. Dog!

Last edited:
Sunny side up is the only way to prepare fried eggs. I won't stand for any propaganda saying otherwise.

Instead of propaganda, how about tasting my cooking? If you came, I could introduce you to my smother and you could get your own bedroom with its own window.

Instead of propaganda, how about tasting my cooking? If you came, I could introduce you to my smother and you could get your own bedroom with its own window.
I will not have you cook for other men than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom