Thread to Report Issues with new xenForo version 2.2

When you activate BB Code mode in the new text editor, it grays out the BB Code bar and forces you to manually type in all code, as opposed to how it used to be: the bar still worked, and clicking one of the BB codes would just inject the code into the text field.

When I am typing a reply here, there's the option to ‘toggle BBCode’. it's what I sue to see, for example, why some error in the message's code results in the entire message being accidentally turned into a hyperlink.
Toggling BBCode allows me to see the message's source instead of WYSIWYG but doesn't allow me to use any of the other tools in the bar unless I turn back into WYSIWYG mode.

I checked, and I agree, this is indeed a bit stupid.
I don't see a way to change this though :/.

I'm seeing that some threads have been marked as unread so people have bumped new threads and I'm taken to the beginning instead of to the new posts.
So the subscriptions page needs extra work.

That weird behaviour is sadly not new, and I have no idea what's causing this :/.

So it looks like clicking to read one specific post by an ignored member will result in toggling ALL the ignored content on that page so it becomes visible. This is not good. I clicked on one post for clarity since it was otherwise impossible to figure out the context of the unignored person's post. Suddenly everything became visible, including posts I decidedly do not want to read.

If people are not getting email notices for thread updates, check your SPAM folder. The new forums is using a different email to send out notices, and I had 2 trapped in SPAM.

Any idea where the option to change the box you type in to reply to default to the plain text version? I'm back getting the problem where I cut and paste from word and it putting in a ton of extra blank spaces.

@The_J: Is there a skinning (theme creation) tutorial in the support forum? That would be invaluable help; InvisionFree had a wonderful tutorial that mapped and explained every part of the forum so people could customize fields, borders, text (fonts, size, color)...

That weird behaviour is sadly not new, and I have no idea what's causing this :/.
I see it and it seems to be related to how long since I have looked at the thread and maybe the cookie link to the most recent has expired?

Can the very small numbers that show up along with the conversation and alarm alerts be made bigger?

I'm afraid nothing can be changed about that, it's not a customizable option :/.

Then they need to address it for the next upgrade (I assume there will be one eventually). Is there a place in the support forum where they take suggestions?

I'm afraid nothing can be changed about that, it's not a customizable option :/.
Par for the course. Following the approach of the OS companies: fewer options for the users, more have it THEIR WAY from the programmers.

Since the points are, well, pointless except for bragging rights, I fail to see why we should keep them anyway.
The idea of points and reaction score, as I understand it, is to give a way of measuring contributions to a site beyond raw post count that is focussed on things that help other people and are positive. Points do seem to be borked at the moment and we will look at that. There is also customisation we can do once things settle down.

One of the advantages of moving to the cloud solution is you should see more regular upgrades.

Yes - https://xenforo.com/community/forums/xenforo-suggestions.18/.
I opened the issue in their suggestion forum. Please go vote it up!

If people are not getting email notices for thread updates, check your SPAM folder. The new forums is using a different email to send out notices, and I had 2 trapped in SPAM.
Indeed correct. This luckily fixes a few issues which we had with some webmailers, but it could be that some emails end up in spam until they got used to it.
Any idea where the option to change the box you type in to reply to default to the plain text version? I'm back getting the problem where I cut and paste from word and it putting in a ton of extra blank spaces.
I don't think I can change that setting, sorry :/.
@The_J: Is there a skinning (theme creation) tutorial in the support forum? That would be invaluable help; InvisionFree had a wonderful tutorial that mapped and explained every part of the forum so people could customize fields, borders, text (fonts, size, color)...
I have not checked, but will do on Thursday (probably), I am currently travelling. @Quintillus
I see it and it seems to be related to how long since I have looked at the thread and maybe the cookie link to the most recent has expired?
Mmmhh... this should be saved in the db, and not in the cookies :think:.
Can the very small numbers that show up along with the conversation and alarm alerts be made bigger?
This does not seem to be easily accessible, but I'll have a look at it, since now a second person is asking.

EDIT: First time I am on mobile, looks fine, but something is,wrong with the header, will need to look at that.

From my post in Xenforo suggestions:

Exactly how would one set it to 2?

There's many ways to reduce the "clutter."
1. You can turn them off per forum.
2. You can change the 5 threads that show to less, like 2.
Search for similar threads when users are creating new threads
Maximum results: 2

3. You can disable similar threads, but keep enhanced search enabled.

I've created a thread here that covers what we've found/documented so far. I haven't found an existing guide that sounds like quite what you describe with InvisionFree, but that was the gist of what I was going for in the part that I've visually documented (in the second post). Alas, there's a lot to cover, so I haven't reached everything (or even probably most things) yet. But hopefully enough to make it a little easier than when The_J started with our current default theme.

A lot of formatting tags have been changed, including the scale of font sizes and what war now ‘heading’ tags. How will older posts be rendered?

Same here. It's just pointless gamification for no reason.

This is all a game.

I think there should be a ton more thresholds to earn points. It can drive interactions with the forum, which is a good thing.

This is all a game.

I think there should be a ton more thresholds to earn points. It can drive interactions with the forum, which is a good thing.
The one and only reason why you should interact with a forum is if you enjoy the interaction it self. If you need a point system to motivate you to do so than you are in it for the points and not for the interaction. And that is called a Skinner box design and is a very unhealthy thing. It's basically chasing a point high. And you should not be doing that.

In fact, if at any point in any interaction be it a forum or an online game or anything else you catch your self doing it not because you enjoy the experience but because it makes you earn points LEAVE immediately.

The one and only reason why you should interact with a forum is if you enjoy the interaction it self. If you need a point system to motivate you to do so than you are in it for the points and not for the interaction. And that is called a Skinner box design and is a very unhealthy thing. It's basically chasing a point high. And you should not be doing that.

In fact, if at any point in any interaction be it a forum or an online game or anything else you catch your self doing it not because you enjoy the experience but because it makes you earn points LEAVE immediately.

:rolleyes:

You do realize that it's possible to enjoy both at the same time, right? It took me over a decade to achieve the rank of Vice-Admiral at the Star Trek forum I mentioned before. Some people spam their way to that point, but I took my time with quality posts and plenty of enjoyable interaction (and some contentious stuff as well; apparently it's a heinous crime to not like some forms of Star Trek, but that's their problem, not mine).

Don't like points? You're not required to pay attention to them, any more than you're forced to take notice of your post count or 'likes' or any other measuring tool on this site.

Moderator Action: Snipped inappropriate comment

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom