Thread to Report Issues with new xenForo version 2.2

The one and only reason why you should interact with a forum is if you enjoy the interaction it self. If you need a point system to motivate you to do so than you are in it for the points and not for the interaction. And that is called a Skinner box design and is a very unhealthy thing. It's basically chasing a point high. And you should not be doing that.

In fact, if at any point in any interaction be it a forum or an online game or anything else you catch your self doing it not because you enjoy the experience but because it makes you earn points LEAVE immediately.
Oh I've been playing this one armed bandit long enough to know the truth! 😂

The number that appears next to the Alerts Bell is unreadable for me. Too small :old:
True... It's a side effect of changing to that font that was on old forum version before the migration. I will see if I could make it slightly bigger...

Though knowing the # of alerts is probably not too critical... the red text still tells you that there are alerts pending...

Well done with the migration!:thumbsup: No huge issues as far as I can tell, but I've spotted a few minor ones:

The thumbnails (previews - not the icons) in connection with many files' download pages (downloads/resources) seem to have gotten a fixed size and aspect ratio. In non-square previews, the part that exceeds the assigned "box" are cropped (however, clicking the preview will fetch the original file in correct resolution and aspect).
Also: Many of the small icons in the resources-lists seems to have vanished. I manually uploaded a new icon (in jpg - not pcx format) to one of my own files, so it works - any chances this conversion can be done automagically sometime in the future? Or do we have to do it manually?

When previewing a post (before posting it), it's a bit hard to distinguish the edit-window from the preview-window, and they are not displayed simultaneously as they were before. Is it possible to give a clearer visual difference between the preview and edit window?

EDIT: After fiddling for a while, I found out how to display the full image as a preview on download pages. It still has to be done manually, though (thinking of users with huge amounts of uploads).

Last edited:
Since I've already fixed my own uploads, this example screenshot is not one of mine own graphics:
Download page example.jpg

Link to the database.
The preview images doesn't look good, and this particular unit also lacks the icon (upper left where a placeholder sprocket is). It was necessary to re-upload images for the preview to restore the "old look" (by selecting "insert -> Full image"). Maybe it's not a huge problem with newer files?

:think: okay, so either the thumbnails are too big, or at this size should preview in the normal resolution.
I think I should be able to resize that.

For the icons, I think it's so that since the migration from vbulletin that by default only the sprocket is shown.
Did, for you, some resources show the icon, and some not? Could you tell me one which did, and one which did not? I want to have a look at the old forum to see what the differences could be.

This is all a game.

I think there should be a ton more thresholds to earn points. It can drive interactions with the forum, which is a good thing.
If we want actual games there's forum games, the elimination games, and, of course, postcount.

But you shouldn't drag people into a game against their will.

btw you just lost the game.

Moderator Action: Please do not turn this thread into a spam game. Back to topic. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I've already fixed my own uploads, this example screenshot is not one of mine own graphics:
View attachment 634582
Link to the database.
The preview images doesn't look good, and this particular unit also lacks the icon (upper left where a placeholder sprocket is). It was necessary to re-upload images for the preview to restore the "old look" (by selecting "insert -> Full image"). Maybe it's not a huge problem with newer files?

Okay, this is more complicated, it seems I might need to ask the Xenforo guys for this.

The issue:
In the old forum, thumbnails were created in a resolution of max 100x100.
In the new forum, thumbnails are created in a resolution of max 300x300.
The new forum tries to display the old (100x100) thumbnails as 300x300, which makes them look blurry.
Changing the thumbnail settings here doesn't do anything, because this only affects newly generated thumbnails, not old ones.

EDIT: And now let me find an example to give to them, where I don't have to explain what this game is about and where I don't have to justify the content of the download :lol:.

:think: okay, so either the thumbnails are too big, or at this size should preview in the normal resolution.
I think I should be able to resize that.

For the icons, I think it's so that since the migration from vbulletin that by default only the sprocket is shown.
Did, for you, some resources show the icon, and some not? Could you tell me one which did, and one which did not? I want to have a look at the old forum to see what the differences could be.
Some units:

Delta_strife's MiG 25 Belarusian - has the icon as it used to have before, but the preview image is grainy on my PC.
Delta_strife's Steampunk / Dieselpunk Aircraft - missing the icon, but the preview looks fine.

This is how my own files looked: In the old forum, both the icons and the previews showed up as they should. After the migration, the sprocket appeared on all, and I had to manually edit the download page and specify a file for the icon (also, all the preview had issues with resolution after migration).

Hope this was what you asked for...

EDIT: Crossposting

I've already asked the Xenforo guys :thumbsup:.

For the first case: This download had the icon also before, so this is fine. The image is indeed grainy, due to my explanation.
Second case: Here it seems that Delta_strife didn't embedd a thumbnail, but the whole image, which is 128x128. So it was displayed before as full image, and is displayed now as full image. Therefore it looks fine, but the default setting was that downloads will have the thumbnail, so most will indeed look blurry.

How is it that some news items get embedded into posts?

The option to insert bullets and numbering is missing. As someone who used that option a lot I find that to be bad.

Fixed. No idea how that happened.

Attached an image of all the available toolbar options. The example in the picture is the medium toolbar (4 sizes, extra small, small, medium, large).
Please let me know if you think any addition or re-arrangement would make sense.
Spoiler :
toolbar_options.png

EDIT: I'm also looking really hard for the number next to the bell, but I've not found out yet exactly which element it is.

I can't upload images from older scenarios to the Gallery, eg for the Civilization III screenshots directory. It doesn't give you the option to upload it, like it did on the forums or 'Old World' Screenshots, the moderators took it away from there and redirected it to the right place. :)

In the drop-down menu, it is not possible to select the directories related to older games where the screenshot could be uploaded when uploading.

By clicking on Add media, enter only these options:

"Civ: Beyond Earth Gallery
Images from Civilization: Beyond Earth

CivBE - Screenshots
Area for in-game screenshots

CivBE - Game Art
Area for official artwork for the game.

CivBE - Box and Manuals
For Box Art and Game Manuals

CivBE - Videos

CivBE - Miscellaneous
For other CivBE related pictures and images.

Colonization gallery
You cannot add media to container categories.

Colonization - Screenshots

Colonization - Videos

Old World
Screenshots, artworks, and other pictures related to the Old World.

Old World - Screenshots
Screenshots for Old World.

Old World - Game Art
Game art from Old World

Old World - Videos

Miscellaneous Gallery
For other unrelated images and pictures.

guard
Create personal album…
A personal album can use advanced privacy settings and will not appear in any category.
Add media to existing album…
You will be shown a list of all albums that you can add media to."

Thanks for looking into it

Last edited:
EDIT: I'm also looking really hard for the number next to the bell, but I've not found out yet exactly which element it is.
Honestly I say just give us ALL of those options. All of them. Every single one. The more the better.

I can't upload images from older scenarios to the Gallery, eg for the Civilization III screenshots directory. It doesn't give you the option to upload it, like it did on the forums or 'Old World' Screenshots, the moderators took it away from there and redirected it to the right place. :)

In the drop-down menu, it is not possible to select the directories related to older games where the screenshot could be uploaded when uploading.

By clicking on Add media, enter only these options:

"Civ: Beyond Earth Gallery
Images from Civilization: Beyond Earth

CivBE - Screenshots
Area for in-game screenshots

CivBE - Game Art
Area for official artwork for the game.

CivBE - Box and Manuals
For Box Art and Game Manuals

CivBE - Videos

CivBE - Miscellaneous
For other CivBE related pictures and images.

Colonization gallery
You cannot add media to container categories.

Colonization - Screenshots

Colonization - Videos

Old World
Screenshots, artworks, and other pictures related to the Old World.

Old World - Screenshots
Screenshots for Old World.

Old World - Game Art
Game art from Old World

Old World - Videos

Miscellaneous Gallery
For other unrelated images and pictures.

guard
Create personal album…
A personal album can use advanced privacy settings and will not appear in any category.
Add media to existing album…
You will be shown a list of all albums that you can add media to."

Thanks for looking into it
I checked, I can confirm this issue. I cannot upload anything to other categories myself (although I can move stuff over afterwards).
I cannot find the media gallery permissions for the pre-generated categories anywhere, I assume there's something not working with that addon. I'll need to ask @Thunderfall to have a look at this.
Honestly I say just give us ALL of those options. All of them. Every single one. The more the better.
Ah, so easy :lol:.
You can use them already, if you know the BB code.
Otherwise fine, I'll have a look what needs to be added where. I'll not try to cram in all the symbols into the small toolbar which you'll see on your phone, that'd be overkill.

It's UI is ugly and blockish, and the background colours in avatar images with no custom picture have a notably unpleasant palette, but I'm uncertain if esthetic issues count for anything. If they do, however, there is mine...

Top Bottom