[RD] Do 'woke' films go broke? (from LGBTQ news)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I provided the movie quotes and differences between them.

Luke was trained in the force and being guided by Obi Wan while using the force and had help from more experienced characters.

Every other character that uses the force like that (actively using force powers) got trained in the same universe.

Gobbles claimed Luke was untrained despite having training in the same movie. There's big differences in Luke's proficiency levels vs Rey. He doesn't dwhat she does until the third movie she's pulling it off in her first movie with no training. By the time Luke is doing that he's been trained twice and lost to Vader.

It's right there in the movies lol. If Rey was a Jedi Knight to begin with (which is what they should have done imho)bno problem.

By movie 3 Luke's using mind trick Reys binning around force lightning and teleporting objects.

Afaik the latest SW trilogy is generally hated and viewed as failed. SW, of course, already was ridiculous - and people hated the prequel trilogy too. I can't care since I never was interested in any SW project.
That said, the writing is so bad that the trilogy would be equally dumb even if no "woke" elements existed, so Rey was Raymond and the black stormtrooper was white and Holdo was a man and other such meaningless changes to a terrible series regardless.

I provided the movie quotes and differences between them.

Luke was trained in the force and being guided by Obi Wan while using the force and had help from more experienced characters.

Every other character that uses the force like that (actively using force powers) got trained in the same universe.

Gobbles claimed Luke was untrained despite having training in the same movie. There's big differences in Luke's proficiency levels vs Rey. He doesn't dwhat she does until the third movie she's pulling it off in her first movie with no training. By the time Luke is doing that he's been trained twice and lost to Vader.

It's right there in the movies lol. If Rey was a Jedi Knight to begin with (which is what they should have done imho)bno problem.

By movie 3 Luke's using mind trick Reys binning around force lightning and teleporting objects.
as i said, you don't actually defend luke's character against someone attacking him. that you do here again. that's not gorbles' point. gorbles isn't trying to get you to defend luke. luke's within the verisimilitude of action romps. you don't have to defend luke from being a mary sue. we don't believe it to be the case.

it's kind of inane to read you do it again here after i point out specifically what gorbles is talking about, with a quote. while you, again, ignore what we are telling you. it's very weird seeing you be so defensive about something that we don't care about.

i'll just ask straightforwardly: are you unable to understand what we're saying or are you choosing not to answer it? it would make things a lot easier knowing either - and i'm not trying to be rude, there's no shame if you've stared yourself blind at something you care a lot about. it happens to everyone.

Luke and Anakin Vader thing. That's more force potential.
Sidious combined with the cult of the Sith on Exegol. Comparable.
You're also avoiding the tone of it. Resource your typical Hollywood girl boss card board cut out. She has very few weaknesses Luke kinda sucks until Return of the Jedi.

Rey is a lot more powerful a lot sooner with no weaknesses or drawbacks comparatively.

Rey specifically says she's never flown it (the Falcon) before and is pulling off Han level stunts two minutes later.
I'm not avoiding any tone. The only "tone" seems to be that Rey is a woman, and Luke is not.

Luke flew nothing but a T-16 before leaving Tattooine. You think this qualifies him to run a Death Star trench against his father (the guy you just mentioned) and win, but your mind can't stretch to justify Rey's accomplishments? Okay :D

For all of Rey's strengths, she's still on the run. She's still in hiding. Which is the entire Jedi conundrum of the sequel trilogy. Nomatter how strong an individual is, you need shared resistance (pun intended). You need support. You can't do everything yourself.

Yes, Rey is different in some ways to Luke. But the problem here is if she was made too similar, guess who'd be complaining about that!

(also I guess you're forgetting the part of TFA when Ren captured her with minimal effort, and the later bit when he explicitly warns the base that she's growing stronger because he knows it, because dyad)

as i said, you don't actually defend luke's character against someone attacking him. that you do here again. that's not gorbles' point. gorbles isn't trying to get you to defend luke. luke's within the verisimilitude of action romps. you don't have to defend luke from being a mary sue. we don't believe it to be the case.

it's kind of inane to read you do it again here after i point out specifically what gorbles is talking about, with a quote. while you, again, ignore what we are telling you. it's very weird seeing you be so defensive about something that we don't care about.

i'll just ask straightforwardly: are you unable to understand what we're saying or are you choosing not to answer it? it would make things a lot easier knowing either - and i'm not trying to be rude, there's no shame if you've stared yourself blind at something you care a lot about. it happens to everyone.

From my poverty you're ignor what I'm saying when it's nit opinion it's easily provable objective fact when comparing the movies.

If you like it or not that's subjective.

From my poverty you're ignor what I'm saying when it's nit opinion it's easily provable objective fact when comparing the movies.

If you like it or not that's subjective.
what we do doesn't matter right now. i asked you a question.

are you unable to understand what we're saying or are you choosing not to answer it?

Sidious combined with the cult of the Sith on Exegol. Comparable.

I'm not avoiding any tone. The only "tone" seems to be that Rey is a woman, and Luke is not.

Luke flew nothing but a T-16 before leaving Tattooine. You think this qualifies him to run a Death Star trench against his father (the guy you just mentioned) and win, but your mind can't stretch to justify Rey's accomplishments? Okay :D

For all of Rey's strengths, she's still on the run. She's still in hiding. Which is the entire Jedi conundrum of the sequel trilogy. Nomatter how strong an individual is, you need shared resistance (pun intended). You need support. You can't do everything yourself.

Yes, Rey is different in some ways to Luke. But the problem here is if she was made too similar, guess who'd be complaining about that!

(also I guess you're forgetting the part of TFA when Ren captured her with minimal effort, and the later bit when he explicitly warns the base that she's growing stronger because he knows it, because dyad)

So you can't see why that's potentially a problem?

Kyrikos names a point about the sequels being despised. Not to many people care about that trilogy or Rey while Ahsoka is generally beloved.

So even if you care about diversity and inclusion whos better at flying that flag Ahsoka or Rey?

People love Vader, don't like movie Anakin much. People who watch the cartoons tend to like Anakin.

That's part of the point I was making earlier. There's a large amount of woke movies bombing. I provided a partial list earlier.

These cookie cutter, generic same movies are damaging the cause more than they're helping imho.

what we do doesn't matter right now. i asked you a question.

are you unable to understand what we're saying or are you choosing not to answer it?

What exactly are you asking?

Distracted irl may have missed it.

Kyrikos names a point about the sequels being despised.
And? You have to make a logical leap from there to "woke". Rise isn't bad because it's "woke".

You're trying to claim that it is, by calling Rey a Mary Sue for the exact same things you're giving Luke a pass for.
These cookie cutter, generic same movies are damaging the cause more than they're helping imho.
Plug more buzzwords in there, would you?

I'd ask "what cause", but I know it's because you think a multimillion Disney franchise exists to service "wokeness", instead of the very obvious answer of: making Disney money.

It's funny how much we forget the prequels too. Queen Amidala, a genius negotiator, trained with firearms and able to do all sorts from the age of 14 or so. Compelling character development? Nah. The film presented her this way.

Nobody cried "woke", because the culture war wasn't there yet. I'm sure some dudes got mad, because this is Star Wars on the Internet, some dudes are always getting mad at it. But the reactionary nonsense pushing these arguments didn't exist like it does today. Which is my point. Rey isn't harming a "cause", because unless the cause is "woman in a strong role in Star Wars", there's no cause there. And Star Wars has a habit of literally portraying strong capable women who show up the men as incompetent. Leia did it on the Death Star! In ANH!

Either you don't get Star Wars, or you're trying really hard to defend other people's arguments as your own, for some weird reason. They're not good arguments! They're circular! "Rey is bad because woke which is bad". That's all there is to it. They ignore her characterisation that explains her development. They ignore the shortcuts other protagonists took, or explain it away with inferences (that they don't extend to Rey, despite the same inferences existing).

If we're comparing ANH Luke to TFA Rey here, which seems to be the case if we're talking about the trench run, Luke's "training" in the force in that movie amounts to a few hours on a ship with Obi-Wan messing around with being able to see a practice droid without using his eyes. Not exactly a ton of training, there.

If we're comparing ANH Luke to TFA Rey here, which seems to be the case if we're talking about the trench run, Luke's "training" in the force in that movie amounts to a few hours on a ship with Obi-Wan messing around with being able to see a practice droid without using his eyes. Not exactly a ton of training, there.

Directly related to what cane later though. The training involved using the force to sense things.

Which is more or less what he does later while being guided by Obiwan.

He's not using telekinesis or busting out a lightsaber. It's a lot more subtle.

He's not using telekinesis or busting out a lightsaber. It's a lot more subtle.
He's making a literally impossible shot that the movie emphasises is impossible :D

Imagine if you tried this hard to justify Rey's growth. It's not hard, because neither of them are Mary Sues! They both have impossible bloodline magic (still don't like that reveal for Rey), which is where most of their latent strength comes from.

Do you think the hardest thing about the Force is busting out a lightsaber? Flashy != strength. Star Wars tells us this all the time.

And? You have to make a logical leap from there to "woke". Rise isn't bad because it's "woke".

You're trying to claim that it is, by calling Rey a Mary Sue for the exact same things you're giving Luke a pass for.

Plug more buzzwords in there, would you?

I'd ask "what cause", but I know it's because you think a multimillion Disney franchise exists to service "wokeness", instead of the very obvious answer of: making Disney money.

It's funny how much we forget the prequels too. Queen Amidala, a genius negotiator, trained with firearms and able to do all sorts from the age of 14 or so. Compelling character development? Nah. The film presented her this way.

Nobody cried "woke", because the culture war wasn't there yet. I'm sure some dudes got mad, because this is Star Wars on the Internet, some dudes are always getting mad at it. But the reactionary nonsense pushing these arguments didn't exist like it does today. Which is my point. Rey isn't harming a "cause", because unless the cause is "woman in a strong role in Star Wars", there's no cause there. And Star Wars has a habit of literally portraying strong capable women who show up the men as incompetent. Leia did it on the Death Star! In ANH!

Either you don't get Star Wars, or you're trying really hard to defend other people's arguments as your own, for some weird reason. They're not good arguments! They're circular! "Rey is bad because woke which is bad". That's all there is to it. They ignore her characterisation that explains her development. They ignore the shortcuts other protagonists took, or explain it away with inferences (that they don't extend to Rey, despite the same inferences existing).

I'm saying the tone is different.

All three look good in ANH and share awesome edits. And weaknesses. Luke's brash and impulsive, Leias smarter. Luke bails her out, he gets bailed out by Obi Wan and Solo. Leoas smarter than Han as well and is a member of a paramilitary organization.

Also in theor universe its not unusual for protagonists to be decent pilots as their cars equivalent fly. It's not unusual to use blasters either.

No one's really criticizing Rey for having mechanic skills, surviving on a desert lane or having some basic combat ability with her staff. She lives on a rough planet. She specifically says she's never flown the Falcon before it's right there in the movie.

It Jedi treainingbin particular you know that thing Luke got trained in twice or Anakin went off to Jedi school for a decade. Hell even Ahsoka, Ezra and Kanen in Disney productions followed that pattern.

If they wanted a strong female Jedi type they could have just made her a Jedi Knight. We haven't really seen that in live action yet as a main protagonist.

The tone is off and it's easily noticeable. Remember when TFA came on Rebels was still in production and Kanen was training Ezra.

I expect force sentive characters to be better at certain things eg combat but Rey stands out evennin relation to other force sensitive characters.

She's using Sith Lord powers in RoS comparativle Luke gets pwned by said Sith Lord powers in RotJ. Vader baiks him out.

Luke's more relatable, humanized Vader and redeems him.

The presented Rey sobstrong there's nothing to cheer about. There's no real sense of achievement or development and you already know what's what's gonna happen broadly speaking.

And they lore or less ripped off Luke's character arc as well. Orphan, desert planet etc. Stupid thing us Daisy is a better actor than Mark Hamill was (ANH vs TFA).

I don't think to many people will care about Rey further down the line and the ST won't have the legacy of the OT.

They nay be able to salvage Rey in future productions like they dd with Anakin.

Though you'd be surprised how many of the fans really do think war does make one great, and utterly fail to understand that combat abilities are the least and most menial of a jedi's ability.

Beyond the man-woman aspect, there's an aspect of the Mary Sue debate that can be roughly summed up as a desire not to see our childhood heroes equalled or outshone, or made to feel less special. That's thr other big difference between Luke and Rey: Luke was the childhood hero of a generation of fans, Rey is...well, not (yet).

You see that phenomenon in sports all the time with people insisting on the mythical superiority of the players they learned the sport with, and coming up with a litany of arguments to make more recent athlete less impressive in comparison (where in actuality sports have if anything gotten harder and more demandin over the years). In the world of fiction, cries of "Sue" are a commonplace way to express that phenomenon, because a character being granted equal (let alone greater) status to the childhood hero is always going to feel unwarranted to a lot of people.

He's making a literally impossible shot that the movie emphasises is impossible :D

Imagine if you tried this hard to justify Rey's growth. It's not hard, because neither of them are Mary Sues! They both have impossible bloodline magic (still don't like that reveal for Rey), which is where most of their latent strength comes from.

Do you think the hardest thing about the Force is busting out a lightsaber? Flashy != strength. Star Wars tells us this all the time.

They're both space wizards Reys just tuned very high compared to other space wizards.

The impossible horsehocky just establishes that the force is powerful.

They foreshadowed that as well wi5h Vaders comments in ANH.

Better plotting, pacing and story telling all around TFA copied a lot of beats from ANH.

The problem isn't force users doing impossible things it's doing it untrained relative to every other force user we see onscreen including the child prodigy such as Luke, Anakin and Ahsoka (it's a Star Wars trope at this point).

I don't think anyone's gonna get to upset if I say the ST is a sloppy mess. They had the right ingredients likeable, skilled actors and messed it up.

Rey didn't do anything a Jedi Knight couldn't do so they should gave done something like that. Added bonus she wpukd gave had a pre established relationship with Luke. She didn't need to be related but if she was Luke's star pupil her force proficiency doesn't need any explanation and it's consistent with their universe.

Dumb thing is we had competent female force users since 1991 and even a villain in early 80s both of whom were consistent relative to their universe.

This is really basic Star Wars tropes.

Though you'd be surprised how many of the fans really do think war does make one great, and utterly fail to understand that combat abilities are the least and most menial of a jedi's ability.

Beyond the man-woman aspect, there's an aspect of the Mary Sue debate that can be roughly summed up as a desire not to see our childhood heroes equalled or outshone, or made to feel less special. That's thr other big difference between Luke and Rey: Luke was the childhood hero of a generation of fans, Rey is...well, not (yet).

You see that phenomenon in sports all the time with people insisting on the mythical superiority of the players they learned the sport with, and coming up with a litany of arguments to make more recent athlete less impressive in comparison (where in actuality sports have if anything gotten harder and more demandin over the years). In the world of fiction, cries of "Sue" are a commonplace way to express that phenomenon, because a character being granted equal (let alone greater) status to the childhood hero is always going to feel unwarranted to a lot of people.

Yup that's kinda what I'm saying. Rather than outshine thevexisting characters don't use them or have them in mentor roles. Failing that have the new characters do their awesome stuff in a different scene.

Rey is definitely overpowered compared to Luke, in universe, but yeah Luke has untrained super powers and conceptually they are the same. What’s super powered in Starwars in 1970s vs 2010s is obviously going to change, but it’s better explained by general power inflation. Compare superheroes of both eras…

None of this changes that none of this is “woke”, let alone that none these financially successful blockbusters suffered accordingly.

Go woke go broke is just a lie. Gorbles’s main point, that he so painstakingly and repeatedly articulated in the previous pages, is that even charitably accepting Zardnaar’s argument of “it’s a shifting definition but you know it when you see it and it’s when identity tropes are elevated to cover bad art” is still circular, still just confirmation bias, still applying a false or unrecognizable subcategory of criticism to a super category of weak art. And you can criticize the weak art completely on merits unrelated to the “wokeness”.

And the only possible contention is shades of gray between Luke and Rey. Which is such a sideshow it doesn’t matter.

If you change Rey to a guy, make Fin white, the pink haired lady a pepper haired stud, make the Rebels a bunch of Ayn Randians and the Empire a bunch of social democrats, the story is the same. The quality of the movie is the same.

It do be like that.

Last edited:
It Jedi treainingbin particular you know that thing Luke got trained in twice or Anakin went off to Jedi school for a decade. Hell even Ahsoka, Ezra and Kanen in Disney productions followed that pattern.
Rey had tons of training. She had time with Luke (before rushing off to redeem Kylo and failing - notably), time with the ancient Jedi texts, and downtime to train with them (like Luke did stuff between Empire and RotJ).

The only point at which Rey didn't have a ton of training (TFA), Luke didn't either.
She's using Sith Lord powers in RoS comparativle Luke gets pwned by said Sith Lord powers in RotJ. Vader baiks him out.
And Kylo Ren displays Force powers beyond anyone else as well. He took a bowcaster bolt to the stomach, and still cleaned up Finn, and then fought Rey until the planet broke apart.

Your entire thing seems to be "Rey is stronger than Luke". So what? The entire power level of the OT is lower. You're fixating on Luke being schooled by Vader. But you keep ignoring that Kylo schooled Rey. Handily. It was only when he interrogated her and the dyad bond opened up the Force link that the balance of power changed.

And he knew this! Kylo Ren knew this! It's why he warned the base about her! This is in the movie (minus the dyad bit). And you're still ignoring it. But you have all the answers for Luke. Which are fine! They're accurate answers.

But so are mine about Rey! I can't convince you to like them, but to borrow your words: they exist. They are an in-setting explanation. But the culture war demanded blood, so the opinion got twisted across the Internet.

Last edited:
What exactly are you asking?

Distracted irl may have missed it.
ok so i think you say you missed it?

basically when people are going into the grainy area of character progression in the movies, they don't do it to say luke is a mary sue. they do it to outline how each character grows too rapidly to be realistic. but they never say that's not ok. star wars is larger than life, aligned with action romps' style of verisimilitude, where the uninitiated hero can kick some ass after a few hours of movie progression. it's normal for the genre.

what i talked about was mostly you being very clearly defensive about luke's position as a mary sue here. you do not want him to be one, and you conceptualize the action romp competent hero in rey as one, so you don't like the structural similarity in how luke and rey were written, since if rey is a mary sue, you don't want it to mean that luke is one too. but noone is calling luke a mary sue. your defensiveness has no purpose. you're not arguing with anyone.

whether rey grew in power too fast is actually not that objective, by the way; and your idea of objective measurement is kind of a failure in understanding script writing. both are unrealistically growing in power. that's the default, if not the point of the verisimilitude of action romps (ie that it's not real, but real enough for its genre). that OT star wars did this competently does not change how action romps work. it's not meant to be realistic. it's meant to be flash gordon. it's innately unrealistic and unnatural and only felt as "realistic" depending on the viewer subjectively being able to accept an actively anti-objective reality, because the world doesn't work like it does in star wars. it solely works by appealing to realism just enough that we'll let it go and can enjoy the fantasy of losing objectivity for a bit. then how much we're able to accept of fantasy depends on the subjective viewer. and some people can accept that luke grows unrealistically fast, while they can't accept that rey does so.

(sidenote: the idea of bloodline force power, for the record, does not counteract the nature of a mary sue. that someone is weirdly competent or excellent is not counteracted by the idea that some magical bloodline did it or a wizard did it or whatever.)

so why are people trying to outline luke's nature then? because the claim of mary sue rarely goes on luke or anakin, but rather goes towards rey. and also, the claim of the mary sue girlboss is somehow a "woke" tendency. there are two points here. first, claims of mary sues in action properties rarely fall onto male characters; and secondly, somehow mary sue-ing female characters is somehow a failure specifically of "woke" culture; so mary sue is something can literally only befall girlbosses, apparently. this is incessantly sexist. it misses what mary sues are in literary criticism, while encompassing how mary sue is used, to specifically denigrate female characters in cinema. and again, like "woke", you're deliberately reproducing the rhetoric; because you don't like the movies, maybe perhaps because you don't understand what a mary sue is, or maybe you don't like rey as a character. the OT was better, but it has nothing to do with a mary sue is.

a mary sue is not just someone overtly or unreasonably powerful in its property. power is often a part of it, but the function of a mary sue is different. a mary sue is someone that warps the story around it to serve a self-fulfilling fantasy. so the indulgence in fantasy, living out a character, is true both with luke and rey. the question is more whether the story bends over to serve the self-insert, and honestly, it doesn't really do that in either trilogy at large. i'd really suggest the intro from this video that outlines what a mary sue actually looks like.
in regards to sue'ing in star wars, it's completely straight-thrills, regular action competence. han, luke and leia are with their own motivation and interweave in the story as their different assortments of older figures of prominence. a mary sue version would be like, i don't know, a video game where you're unnaturaly special and the world serves to enable your fantasy.

so for mary sue media that isn't fanfiction, what would actually be a mary sue? the faceless main of skyrim is a good example. star wars isn't. a lot of video games are like that, actually.

EDIT: and note - i foresee that you may think the video agrees with you. it doesn't. everything you've outlined is like power scaling and how a main character in an action property usually is. nothing of what you've said has to do with the structure of the story, all of it aligns with being the main character in an action fantasy. it's granular stuff, as to the nuances of being a main character, and how competent they're supposed to be. you're also quite alarmed by the idea that luke could be a mary sue, and she delves on that too: there's actually, in literay criticism at least, anything wrong at all about someone being a mary sue in a story. but you're so hell-bent at proving that luke isn't that you miss the forest for the trees.

Last edited:
You guys are fighting over movies where the death star's remains crash into a planet, defying even basic knowledge of gravity. As if it was a satellite orbiting the planet with just a bit of a force ( :p ) preventing decaying orbit.
Nothing is even remotely scientific or believable - sensible - in those movies, and never was. It's cheap space opera.

You guys are fighting over movies where the death star's remains crash into a planet, defying even basic knowledge of gravity.
Nothing is even remotely scientific or believable - sensible - in those movies, and never was. It's cheap space opera.
EXACTLY! >_>

but i'd like to underline; some of us are trying to make an argument about story structure, others are really afraid their space wizards are unrealistic.

Then again, if you all take the movies so seriously to defend/attack characters, one might as well attack/defend who they like ^^
I almost wish I could care, so as to take a side. I never even thought the original trilogy was good - and haven't watched it either, apart from a number of famous scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom