[RD] Do 'woke' films go broke? (from LGBTQ news)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are fighting over movies where the death star's remains crash into a planet, defying even basic knowledge of gravity. As if it was a satellite orbiting the planet with just a bit of a force ( :p ) preventing decaying orbit.
Nothing is even remotely scientific or believable - sensible - in those movies, and never was. It's cheap space opera.

I'm not arguing that it's Star Wars.

Don't we all! I also like Star Wars, as it turns out.

Seen the Ahsoka trailers?

Avoiding them! I watch one trailer for any film and no more these days, and I avoid show trailers unless I'm watching the show with the better half.

It looks really good and I loved rebels. Here's hoping it's not Book of Boba Fett 2.0.

We can keep going at this, because defending either is perfectly doable. Characterising both as a Mary Sue is perfectly doable (if you want to be uncharitable). That's my point.

I don't believe either of them are. But in order to accuse Rey of being one, you have to be harsher to her than you are being to Luke.
Now here I can absolutely agree. But in order for me to do so I must then accept episodes 7-9 as canon.

Unfortunately, for me anyway, that is impossible because the Star Wars spirit implanted in me at age 11 when the very first movie came out is so strong I can see Disney's adaptation as heresy. Even on the levels of Horus Heresy. If you are a geek like me you'll understand just how heretical that really is and what I mean.

Sidenote - how can Slaanesh Chaos be so evil and distasteful but a Sith Lord can indeed be viewed as sexy baby and with a just cause?

You guys are fighting over movies where the death star's remains crash into a planet, defying even basic knowledge of gravity.

Right, because when an object violently explodes, the debris definitely won't have a bunch of velocity changes from being propelled by the explosion.

Rey had tons of training. She had time with Luke (before rushing off to redeem Kylo and failing - notably), time with the ancient Jedi texts, and downtime to train with them (like Luke did stuff between Empire and RotJ).

Not to mention she spent some amount of time training with Leia between TLJ and RoS.

Right, because when an object violently explodes, the debris definitely won't have a bunch of velocity changes from being propelled by the explosion.
You recall seeing any planet reasonably near the death star? Just what distances do you think velocity would move roughly 1/5th of a moon-sized object? (size of that "debris") :p

1689627231709.png

This is what would throw me off within the suspension of disbelief department. I’d honestly will find it jarring to see a movie about Queen Elizabeth I and the queen herself is played by a black actress or when background characters in a movie set in medieval Poland looks more like downtown modern day LA. Which makes me question if the movie was written with a progressive woke agenda and historical revisionism. If there was a movie that stared a black character during the American Civil War, it wouldn’t shake up my suspension of disbelief since I knew there were freed blacks that served within the Union Army and the film portrays itself as eather truly historical fiction (it’s an entirely original character for the story) or semi-historical fiction (the infamous “based on the events/true story” since there are embellishments and ommitions for the sakes of storytelling in a span of one and a half to two hours for a full length movie).

I think the bigger issue is that this standard is not applied to anything else. We can have white Jesuses, northern European Egyptians, women wearing extremely impractical, ahistorical gowns, hairstyles, or makeup (which happen to be more pleasing to the modern male eye); unambiguously gay historical figures can be made straight as an arrow, ways of thinking which are clearly liberal or modernist can be inserted into Classical and Medieval historical dramas with no critique or condemnation; depictions of well-documented, archaeologically rich and varied non-white cultures can get flattened and portrayed as uncivilized, brutish peoples lacking any sense of beauty, culture, or refinement, and none of that elicits a peep, but the instant a video game depicts a colonial subject fighting in the First World War then people come out of the woodwork to talk about their deep concerns for historicity in movies and video games. It just rings so very hollow. You can't have it both ways.

Though you'd be surprised how many of the fans really do think war does make one great, and utterly fail to understand that combat abilities are the least and most menial of a jedi's ability.
Yes, look at how the republic feel, it was not because Sidious was extreamly powerful but because the jedi was too focused on a war and basically was lead into a trap, 10 000 jedi could not stop a single sith lord and even if both Mace Windu and Yoda could disarm Sidious, both failed against him and it was never combat that actually lead to his fall.

I think the bigger issue is that this standard is not applied to anything else. We can have white Jesuses, northern European Egyptians, women wearing extremely impractical, ahistorical gowns, hairstyles, or makeup (which happen to be more pleasing to the modern male eye); unambiguously gay historical figures can be made straight as an arrow, ways of thinking which are clearly liberal or modernist can be inserted into Classical and Medieval historical dramas with no critique or condemnation; depictions of well-documented, archaeologically rich and varied non-white cultures can get flattened and portrayed as uncivilized, brutish peoples lacking any sense of beauty, culture, or refinement, and none of that elicits a peep, but the instant a video game depicts a colonial subject fighting in the First World War then people come out of the woodwork to talk about their deep concerns for historicity in movies and video games. It just rings so very hollow. You can't have it both ways.

Years and years of actors in blackface to play Othello or southern Europeans playing native Americans was fine but cast a black person as Cleopatra and suspension of disbelief is impossible apparently.

You recall seeing any planet reasonably near the death star? Just what distances do you think velocity would move roughly 1/5th of a moon-sized object? (size of that "debris") :p

View attachment 667438

Well Endor is explicitly stated to be a moon so presumably there's a planet nearby

And the place it's on is apparently canonically a different moon of Endor

So yeah, I can buy that a sufficiently powerful explosion could launch debris from the orbit of one moon into a collision course with a different, nearby moon.

Years and years of actors in blackface to play Othello or southern Europeans playing native Americans was fine but cast a black person as Cleopatra and suspension of disbelief is impossible apparently.

Generations of men and women ruined because Hollywood has convinced them that every woman who lived between the 11th and early 20th centuries was going about their day while wearing the most ridiculous, impractical pushup bra known to mankind.

Don't go around pitying others, if you miss the glaring flaw in comparing those things. A movie isn't the same as a documentary.

This even critics hated it. Also checks off my checklist about inappropriate treatment of historical figures and race swapping.

Generations of men and women ruined because Hollywood has convinced them that every woman who lived between the 11th and early 20th centuries was going about their day while wearing the most ridiculous, impractical pushup bra known to mankind.

And they get criticized now for doing it.

Tom Cruise as Mansa Muta let's do it!!! (no that's a terrible idea).

Last edited:
Don't go around pitying others, if you miss the glaring flaw in comparing those things. A movie isn't the same as a documentary.
And Netflix isn't a serious channel. It would be a glaring flaw to treat a "documentary" on Netflix as authoritative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom