The Africa Thread

It’s been a while since Egypt’s military has been battle-tested, but historically the victories have been few in number from the wars I can recall.

Ethiopian Ambassador Mukhtar Mohamed was sent home for consultations, the office of Somalia’s prime minister said on Thursday. Mogadishu is also shutting down Ethiopia’s consulates in Hargeisa, the largest city and capital of Somaliland, and Garowe, the capital city of the semi-autonomous region of Puntland.

“The plain interference of Ethiopia’s government in the internal affairs of Somalia is a violation of the independence and sovereignty of Somalia,” Somalia’s prime minister’s office said in a statement.

In a brief statement on X, Somalia’s Foreign Minister Ali Omar added that Mohamed had been given 72 hours to leave the country. “Somalia stands firm on its sovereignty,” he wrote. “Our resolve in protecting our territory is steadfast.”

My sister and friends playing dress-ups in Morocco during art/photography tours she conducts.
rita1.jpg

abdou.png

Is that a real business? One that supports her or a group of people?
Yes, she lives there for 6 months with her partner and 6 months back in Australia.
I didn't mention the name of the business or any other details so I thought it would be Ok. Please remove if it's not allowed and accept my apologies.

Your post is fine. Good niche marketing on her part. Making a living doing what you love in places you want to be is especially nice. :)

Your post is fine. Good niche marketing on her part. Making a living doing what you love in places you want to be is especially nice. :)
Covid hit the country very hard, but it has bounced back.

The third business partner is an Amazigh (Berber) guide whose family live in the Atlas Mountains. He is the one who convinced the other two it was a good niche business. He also arranges all the stop-off places where they can visit local artisans, stay overnight etc.

They usually have an invited arty/crafty expert: e.g. textiles, jewellery making, photography, painting, drawing.
Most of the tour members are retired art teachers from Australia, UK, US and Japan.

The worst group they had were self-entitled 30somethings from North Sydney, who sighed loudly every time they couldn't get their favourite brand of sparkling mineral water. On the edge of the Sahara, in some place with accommodation for 20!

After the earthquake, only one person has cancelled a booking: an American who wanted to know if there would be an earthquake in October 2025. Hrmmph!

pm me a link please.

It is a historic day in South Africa

With 99 percent of the ballots counted, the ruling African National Congress (ANC) is leading with just over 40 percent share of the national vote, three days after the country voted in national elections that could throw up the biggest challenge to the ANC’s political dominance since the end of apartheid in South Africa.

The Democratic Alliance (DA), the country’s principal opposition party, is currently in second place followed by the MK party and EFF.

Spoiler Map and stuff :

I wonder if he has or will solve the water and power problems.

My ignorant view is that power sharing can be a good thing, as leaders are forced to negotiate and drive towards a "common good" rather than extremes. Might even lower corruption given those around you aren't all "friends". Can anyone agree with this, or am I naïve?

My ignorant view is that power sharing can be a good thing, as leaders are forced to negotiate and drive towards a "common good" rather than extremes. Might even lower corruption given those around you aren't all "friends". Can anyone agree with this, or am I naïve?
There is a certain logic. Also getting an explicitly Marxist political party onto the government of a major world economy can be a good thing,or am I naïve? ;)

Why might it be the EFF? The DA is losely the white party, and so the enemy. For many even on the right of the ANC may see an alliance with them as far more unpalatable that the EFF.

MKP is Jacob Zuma. He 99% cares about getting a pardon. Any deal with him will require that, then that will happen and he will care about the other 1% which may make him break the deal within the year. However bad this deal is I think it the most likely.

I suppose options are mathematically possible, depending how the voting system allocates the votes at thin tail, but I cannot see it be practically possible. That only leaves the EFF. That could be stable if everyone gets something, and does not require an ANC person to try and get votes after making a deal with someone associated by their voters with the old regime.

Spoiler EFF :
Home Page:

The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) is a radical and militant economic emancipation movement, formed in the year 2013 with the aim of bringing together revolutionary, militant activists, community-based organizations as well as lobby groups under the umbrella of the political party pursuing the struggle of economic emancipation

The FAQ:

The EFF stands for the total transformation of our society by any means necessary guided by the political line and ideological perspectives of Marxism, Leninism, Fanonism.
Spoiler Rant :
A revolutionary, militant Marxist/Leninist/Fanonist organisation is using wordpress for their web site. I REALLY hope they know what they are doing with security

Spoiler Long form current results :

Last edited:
Power sharing with the DA is the obvious choice and would give them a 60% majority. But I do not know anything about their particular platform differences.

Certainly interesting, I've been reading up on both the election and the reasons for the changes in the ANC vote share over the weekend, and am hoping to catch up with a friend who used to live in South Africa later this week to discuss it in person.

I can see why the ANC is losing voters. "Load shedding" - i.e. rolling blackouts on over 250 days of 2023. They've made some progress recently, in part because of a boom in local solar over the past year decreasing demand on the central grid, and haven't had load shedding for several weeks, but even the ANC has admitted it's a reason why they've lost votes. And 33% unemployment (45% among the young), barely down from the pandemic high of 35%, and considerably up from the pre-pandemic of circa 20%, which is still quite high compared to most countries. Various other factors as well - corruption, failure to stop looting of infrastructure that has upended the rail network and power grid, poor delivery of water in some areas - and it's not hard to see why they lost over 15% of the electorate.

I have no idea who they'll form a coalition with. Teaming up with the EFF would give the ANC 198 votes, 3 short of a majority, so they'd need a three-party coalition. The MK has said they will not form a coalition with the ANC so long as Ramaphosa is in charge, the ANC wants to keep Ramaphosa, and there's the bad blood between Ramaphosa and Zuma, so that seems unlikely to me. The DA has said their top priority is preventing an ANC-EFF coalition, and they're willing to see if they can form an agreement with the ANC, so I see that as more likely than ANC-MK, but ANC+EFF+smaller party could also happen. Really depends on who can come to an agreement in negotiations.

There is a certain logic. Also getting an explicitly Marxist political party onto the government of a major world economy can be a good thing,or am I naïve? ;)
I think first and foremost it depends on whether they are more pragmatic in their land redistribution goals than Mugabe was in Zimbabwe. From what I've read about Zimbabwe, their fundamental economic flaw was not considering whether the land would be farmed productively after it was redistributed. The land went from being relatively well-managed from an agricultural standpoint (albeit very unequally managed from an equality standpoint) to being subsistence agriculture focused, and not very productively so at that. In the process Zimbabwe went from the breadbasket of that part of Africa to being dependent on donations from abroad to feed its population, and much poorer across the board as well.

So I think it really depends on how the EFF would go about it. If they redistribute the land quickly and to the first person who signs up, it's probably going to end poorly as it did in Zimbabwe. If instead they redistribute the land incrementally and provide educational support for those who are going to receive the land - on running the farm and the business side of it - it could succeed and reduce South Africa's very high level of inequality. I'm not sure which approach they'd pursue in practice, although given that there party leader has already been indicted for hate speech (granted, many years ago now), I wouldn't be surprised if they try a quick approach and it went poorly.

From a practical standpoint, my opinion is the best outcome is likely whatever is most likely to reduce unemployment significantly by the 2029 elections, both for South Africa and for the ANC's chances of doing better in 2029. Assuming they don't want to work with Zuma, do they think the EFF's desired reforms are likely to work? If so, then go with them and another, smaller party. If not, go with the DA and see if some of their reforms can reduce the unemployment problem.

It looks like the ANC, and Ramaphosa in particular, is currently favoring a coalition with the ANC and the DA, and perhaps the IFP as well.

ANC elders want to extricate the party from the grip of the Left who are prone to being influenced by MK and EFF radicalism, which could scare investors and lead to political and economic instability.

The source said the stalwarts also feared that if MK was part of a coalition, there was a risk that the rogue elements of the former radical economic transformation group would return and cause instability in the party.

The envisaged ANC-DA-IFP coalition is meant to keep the ANC on a moderate path and win the confidence of the markets and international investors. The new government will combine the governance expertise of the DA and the experience of the ANC.

Additional sources: https://mg.co.za/politics/2024-06-0...c-anc-electoral-loss-seeks-coalition-with-da/, https://www.iol.co.za/sundayindepen...oalition-659e5b69-7861-46ae-821a-5ca1c2b84990

If it really is politically viable for the ANC to make a deal with the DA that says a lot for the success of the reconciliation process.

Weird that everything seems to rest on renamed colonial redistribution.

If it really is politically viable for the ANC to make a deal with the DA that says a lot for the success of the reconciliation process.

The first Mandela cabinet was ANC-NP-IFP. A slightly rebranded NP later merged into ANC. If the ANC can absorb the actual party of Apartheid, they should be able to deal with the DA.

But it was the NP habit of making deals with the ANC that partly caused the decline of the party (voters defected to the DA mostly). DA leaders would have this in mind.

Top Bottom