Who Should Get the 2016 Olympics?

Which city should host the 2016 Olympics?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Politics is the reason that Madrid made it to the final round of voting, according to the Yahoo article.

Be glad you dont live in Denmark right now. People are celebrating the fact this event is being held here.

it is perhaps one of the most pathetic ways a nation has ever tried to draw attention to itself. This event has been covered 24/7 on one of the major "news" channels although there are way more pressing matters to highlight in the media.
And people are actually suggesting that because Oprah is here on a visit 25 million americans are gonna come here on vacation. Since she has decided to do a little piece on Denmark.

Pathetic

(sorry about the rant, but it felt even more stupid to make a topic about this than merely going a little offtopic)

Be glad you dont live in Denmark right now. People are celebrating the fact this event is being held here.

it is perhaps one of the most pathetic ways a nation has ever tried to draw attention to itself. This event has been covered 24/7 on one of the major "news" channels although there are way more pressing matters to highlight in the media.
And people are actually suggesting that because Oprah is here on a visit 25 million americans are gonna come here on vacation. Since she has decided to do a little piece on Denmark.

Pathetic

Do not despair, my friend, and learn from the Czech Republic: first lobby for US missile defense, then get the EU presidency, then screw it up, but counter that by inviting Obama for a visit. After that you can postpone signing the Lisbon Treaty and host the Pope, and if it fails you can amuse the world with a completely dysfunctional domestic politics.

That will keep you on the front pages for years :mischief:

ahh you guys seem to be doing just as good.

Yay, Olympics in a city that makes Chicago look safe!

No real surprise except that it was Chicago and not Tokyo that was eliminated first. But still very sad. :(

Why Chicago got eliminated in the first round?
Madrid should, as 2012 Olympics are already in Europe. And Tokyo, as 2008 Olympics were already in East Asia.

But I'm quite content event went to Rio. I'm tired of multimillion bloated Olympics from Atlanta onwards. I hope Rio will invest far less money and have far less spectacular Olympics and thus return the sport to the sportsmen and the people!

I read that some cities are still paying the debt they incurred due to the Olympic games. So in that case, the games should be anywhere but the US. I personally dislike the games, so I don't care much.

I've heard that the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City is just about the only time the Olympics did not plunge its host city into debt for at least a few years, and they pretty much just broke even that time.

Waste and corruption associated with getting a city ready for the games is quite common, and would likely be legendary in a city like Chicago already known for it. I've heard 45% of Chicagoans would prefer the games to be in Rio, since they know having them in Chicago would mean debt, taxes, kicking out the poor, and subsidizing the wealthy and politically connected. Almost all the politicians there want the Olympics, but less than half the population.

I don't like the games either. I'd rather them not be in the US, if they have to be held at all.

I've heard that the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City is just about the only time the Olympics did not plunge its host city into debt for at least a few years, and they pretty much just broke even that time.

Ah, yes. Romney's claim to fame.

I'm so glad we didn't get the olympics. It is such a corrupt and disgusting organization. I'm one of those people who cannot just overlook the politics. I don't want no stinking dictators, emperors, theocrats or monarchs pushing their show ponies in my country.

I'm so glad we didn't get the olympics. It is such a corrupt and disgusting organization. I'm one of those people who cannot just overlook the politics. I don't want no stinking dictators, emperors, theocrats or monarchs pushing their show ponies in my country.

I go even beyond that, I just don't care about the Olympics. They could have chosen my back yard to host them and I still wouldn't watch. I do like the Winter hockey games though.

That could very well happen.

Less shame in losing the Olympic games than in what his predecessor left the world at.

Congratulations Rio. :)

People stopped caring about his predecessor as soon as Obama took the oath of office. Its his watch now, and what happens on it, he owns, for good or bad, regardless of what his predecessor did.

People stopped caring about his predecessor as soon as Obama took the oath of office. Its his watch now, and what happens on it, he owns, for good or bad, regardless of what his predecessor did.
You hardly have the authority to speak for 'everyone' in any event. Doing so only makes you appear foolish. Hence my earlier comment about being mature enough to admit to something even though you may disagree with it as a matter of course...

Congratulations to Rio! It's about time the Olympics were staged in South America. Having said that, I was cheering for Chicago - as I was just there 2 months ago and loved the place and the people.

Can't believe they got knocked out in the 1st round - Chicago's skyline would have looked amazing as a backdrop to olympic events.

Having said THAT, Rio was my second choice - 1. It's in my timezone 2. Madrid shouldn't have gotten 2016 cause 2012 is already gonna be in London, and the last Olympics were in Beijing, so Tokyo shouldn't have gotten it either.

Top Bottom