Who Should Get the 2016 Olympics?

Which city should host the 2016 Olympics?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Brazil isn't a third world country. They have a high HDI, for one thing.

Regardless they do not deserve to host the Olympics. Not to mention Rio De Janeiro has one of the highest crime rates in the world. Hell why not host the games in freaking Somalia or Myanmar.

Regardless they do not deserve to host the Olympics. Not to mention Rio De Janeiro has one of the highest crime rates in the world. Hell why not host the games in freaking Somalia or Myanmar.
Please explain why you think Rio does not deserver to host the Olympics.
And please use more than a 1 sentence argument - give me a well funded reasoning.

I think this is bullcrap. Brazil is a 3rd world country.

That makes no sense.

Latin America ain't Africa. It is like USA but with everything half done. I'm sure Brazil would be able to hold the Olympics, heck, probably Venezuela could. I could see it done in Maracaibo or something. (I'm against Caracas due to the crime rate)

Please explain why you think Rio does not deserver to host the Olympics.
And please use more than a 1 sentence argument - give me a well funded reasoning.

Mostly the very high crime rate especially murder. Not a very safe city. Better to go some place with a lower crime rate.

Mostly the very high crime rate especially murder. Not a very safe city. Better to go some place with a lower crime rate.
Isn't a positive side-effect of hosting the Olympics that these social problems get the attention and solutions that are required ?

Isn't a positive side-effect of hosting the Olympics that these social problems get the attention and solutions that are required ?

According to Wiki, there is little difference between Chicago and Rio's murder rates.

In general Brazil's homicide rate is several times that of the US.

But it's not US vs. Brazil. It's Chicago vs. Rio.

I think this is TERRIBLE. Yet more proof how screwed up the world is and how dumb people can be. Rio was the worst choice of the final candidates. I thought the nomination was a joke.

According to Wiki, there is little difference between Chicago and Rio's murder rates.

I don't know where in Wikipedia you found that, but I looked and saw that as of 2006 Rio has reported 37.7 murders per 100,000 people; and Chicago as of 2004 had 15.65 murders per 100,000.

I'm going to assume that you have never actually been to Rio de Janeiro or Chicago?
I live in Chicago and would say it is very safe for such a large city.

I've also briefly been to Rio de Janeiro and came to the conclusion that it is not as safe as Chicago. The wealthy have to live in gated communities with bodyguards to keep the people of the slums at bay. You have to be careful that you don't get into the wrong cab or you could get kidnapped.
I think Rio de Janeiro will be a beautiful location for the games; however, the security of the athletes and visitors will be much more of a challenge than it would have been for Chicago.

Top Bottom