Ask A Catholic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is praying to her to intercede before her Son on our behalf treating her as a deity?

So, you believe her to be in the "chain of command"?

I guess this comes down to the notion of what happens in heaven and who God/Jesus loves more? Mary... the pope... some saint... or you?

Do you believe that these who are "better" for whatever reason are basically "employed" for all intents and purposes, in heaven, and that without their special intercession on some issues, nothing would happen.

Do you believe if I were to pray, straight to God, that a sick person get well... it holds less weight than if I pray to Mary for the same thing?

Do you believe Mary et al have the ability to blow off your call for help?

Are you allowed to be a Communist and a catholic?
Depends on the type of Communist… if you hold that 'religion is the opiate of the people' and start burnign churches then no. As for economic policy, well… forceful expropriation/collectivisation is a form of theft so I'd say it's off limits. Gulags, work camps, prisons, ideological crimes, etc. are obviously off-limits.

Depends on the type of Communist… if you hold that 'religion is the opiate of the people' and start burnign churches then no. As for economic policy, well… forceful expropriation/collectivisation is a form of theft so I'd say it's off limits. Gulags, work camps, prisons, ideological crimes, etc. are obviously off-limits.
At what point do taxes become theft?

Well, I am pointing out a fact. I'm sorry that bothers you...
No, you're not. You are telling us what our beliefs and practices are. If you do not actually have a question, get the hell out and start your own thread.
Just telling me you don't agree with the meaning of accepted and commonly used words doesn't convince me.
Frankly, I don't give two horsehockys what you're convinced of, and I'm amazed you thought anyone would care.

How about you relax buddy... all you are doing is freaking out. I have been asking PLENTY of questions in this thread. If you can't gleen them without the benefit of a question mark to make it 100% clear, that is your own problem.

Is praying to her to intercede before her Son on our behalf treating her as a deity?

Yes. A lesser deity, obviously. But yes.

From the outside, it very much appears that Catholics violate the early Commandments.
It's necromancy, entreating familiar spirits
Regard not them that have familiar spirits, neither seek after wizards, to be defiled by them: I [am] the LORD your God.

Through Devil's Advocate, I could say that praying to Vishnu is not breaking the idolatry commandment, because it's commonly recognised that Vishnu is merely an aspect of 'the one true, complete God'. I'm praying to God through Vishnu.

AFAIK, there's no examples of entreating angels or ghosts to talk to God in the Bible, either.
And to assume that any specific ghost or angel has more sway with God seems to be awfully blasphemous as well.

Again, from the outside.

How about you relax buddy... all you are doing is freaking out. I have been asking PLENTY of questions in this thread. If you can't gleen them without the benefit of a question mark to make it 100% clear, that is your problem.
Why do you bother asking questions?
You apparently consider yourself an expert on Catholicism superior to ourselves, our theologians, and our priests. In short, you consider yourself to be the most Catholic person in the world, so tell me, why are you even in this thread, if you already know all you wish to know?

Park, I don't have to explain myself or defend myself to you. If you don't like it, put me on your ignore list.

So...the problem of evil?

Whatever you want to call it.

If youre going to mitigate the crime by saying it's committed by "evil" human beings with free choice, then surely the Catholic church should lose some of it's opening-up-wherever-it-chooses-without-paying-taxes-and-having-the-legal-right-to-keep-children-under-its-stewardship" privileges?

If youre going to mitigate the crime by saying it's committed by "evil" human beings with free choice, then surely the Catholic church should lose some of it's opening-up-wherever-it-chooses-without-paying-taxes-and-having-the-legal-right-to-keep-children-under-its-stewardship" privileges?
No, not really. Because those privileges are granted to all churches because expecting a house of worship to turn a profit is generally a bad idea. If you looked at how churches who are denied tax-exempt status operate, and those that do, I think you'd agree it wouldn't fix any problems to force everyone to operate like the former.

I'm sorry, but at the very least, the standing of Mary in the RC seems pretty much like idolatry to me. Praying directly to her image, on your knees, in public, is a pretty heavy level of reverance.

And the fact that other self-righteous christian denominations don't revere her troubles us greatly, especially when considering her recent apparitions.

I love how the protestant denominations love to proclaim that they are correct and the catholic church is wrong, as if Luther and the other protestants at the time were magically given this gift of revelation that told them to sever themselves from the church and start their own. Oh wait, that sounds more like something the devil would would put into motion, striving to split the church...

EDIT: before people get their panties in a bunch, I'm not saying other denominations are evil. I'm saying the protestant schism was an unfortunate event that could not possibly be due to the Holy Spirit. One good rule of thumb is to ask yourself if the Holy Spirit is working to bring people together, or split them apart. The difference can be subtle but it's of supreme importance.

Oh wait, that sounds more like something the devil would would put into motion, striving to split the church...

And the fact that other self-righteous christian denominations don't revere her troubles us greatly, especially when considering her recent apparitions.

;)

Isn't apparating something that demons can do? Her apparitions seems to have made you more contemptuous of the Protestants, no? Why assume it was actually Mary?

Anyway, it's not just 'self-righteous' Christians who don't revere her. A great number of protestants aren't comfortable with the RC view of Mary, and they're not all self-righteous about. It's just an honest concern on their part that doing so would be flavours of idolatry.

;)

Isn't apparating something that demons can do? Her apparitions seems to have made you more contemptuous of the Protestants, no? Why assume it was actually Mary?

The church thoroughly investigates all potential apparitions, and the most recent ones haven't even been officially accepted yet.

A demon would not seek to unite christians and implore them to pray and work for peace every day. A demon would be more likely to work incognito sending people door-to-door to try to convince them to break away, or work through a TV evangelist imploring people to follow him and send him money.

Anyway, it's not just 'self-righteous' Christians who don't revere her. A great number of protestants aren't comfortable with the RC view of Mary, and they're not all self-righteous about. It's just an honest concern on their part that doing so would be flavours of idolatry.

It's those same protestants who love to claim their edited version of the bible is the sole, infallible authority that also say it's wrong for catholics to call their priests "fathers", because it says in the bible not to call anyone your father.

Sorry, dad, I've been following false beliefs all my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom