Micro Challenge VI !

Good job Ric!

Can't see how to win these extra turns...
Spoiler :
Do we have to grow on more than 4 farms that we then turn into cottages? I've tried that and got zip...

May I suggest reading this blast from the past?
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=266397
Post #33 solved the problem. #41 introduced the simple rule of thumb. More good posts afterwards as well (ex. #58, etc)

without having tried it, from a gut feeling and some experience from a former occ game, i would advise the following:

if it´s right, it might be a heavy spoiler, so only look if you really want/need to:

Spoiler :

you need to grow asap and your city isnt getting warriors ready in time, so production is the limiting factor (only 1 hammer/turn), so you might need to whip a warrior at a certain point, because you get 2 of them within 2 turns for 1 pop (1/15 whip, ov finishes next warrior). with 2 extra warriors, you might be able to keep happy/growth balanced, else whip another pair of warrior

edith adds:

havent seen the last page with more posts and the hint from kossin... ...i´m not adressing growth but happy in the spoiler, but optimal growth point is also very important i guess

hi kossin:goodjob:

@Snaaty
Spoiler :
I got the Warrior whip thing on pretty quickly but unfortunately was left with other problems:
1. When is the whipping to be done? I guess as late as possible because whipping late means producing more :commerce: while regrowing VS whipping early, but I've tried both and that added up to zip.
2. How to balance growth VS working cottages? I tried growing to size 16 as fast as possible while timing my cottaging so that I'd have exactly 16 ready at the same time the city hit pop 16, but I'm still short of 200/300 :gold:

Haven't read kossin's link from the archive underworld yet, I guess I'll find my answers there

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS 3752 :gold: (finally!!)
:banana: :bounce: :trophy:
I only equalled Ric's best attempt though, don't think it's possible to do better.
Spoiler :
It turns out the general rule of thumb is heavily impacted when you don't have infinite happiness or infinite worker turns...

@Ric: I'm really curious as to how you to tested your way to the right micro, cause I didn't do this the quick way LOL

GOODIES ALERT
"Goodies", lol...

I was trying to do the maths on an Excel spreadsheet when I decided to get accurate and to design a "complete" simulation of the challenge.

So if you want to fool around with simulations, you'll find attached an Excel spreadsheet (2007 or later, sorry) that should allow you to test city tile and whipping micro all the way up to Turn 93 ("instructions" are contained inside). No code has been used, only Excel standard functions (I can answer questions of course if anyone cares to bother :)). Forgive me for the poor choice of colours :lol:

Also attached is the PDF version of the micro leading to 3752 :gold: for those who don't have Excel. Take a look if you fancy!

Attachments

• Micro Challenge VI Simulation by pomthom @3752.pdf
    91.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Micro Challenge VI Simulation by pomthom.zip
    73.3 KB · Views: 68
I did not really test my way to victory like you did, I just did something and altered little things to see their effect in the end.
Spoiler :
Interesting, I didn't slow grow like you and that rule of thumb. I growed much faster and even whipped twice only slowing down growth just enough to not go over happy cap.

Excellent work, saves me posting a solution :goodjob:

Spoiler :
A rule of thumb is just that... an approximation.
If you take a look at surplus vs. expected size (16), you see that surplus = remaining growth a lot of the time.

Given extra health to improve growth beyond size 15, there'd be even more farms in the solution.

Also given more workers there would also be more farms, or at least they'd be used a longer time.

Seriously, no solution?

No love to phone lurkers... :(

Excellent series, Kossin, hope more will come.

I'd consider give players CoL for comparison sake, you know old good ce vs se holywar. :)

OK, reinstalled CIV just to take a look.

Brilliant!:goodjob:

And fantastic thread in the link you provided, Kossin. Eh these were a times...

Top Bottom