Hearts of Iron II German AAR - Written by the Victors

ah, i'll be off on holidays now until friday however when I return i'll try something harder

a canadian world power lol

July 1st - August 1st 1941

Another month, another glorious campaign for the Wehrmacht.

The two summer months both showed the German army at its best, as the combined panzers, mechanised and regular infantry - under the safety of the Luftwaffe - continued to tear into western Russia. And though no major city - with the exception of Smolensk - fell, it set up the elements that allowed Kan to begin planning the attacks on Moscow and Leningrad.

Smolensk from the skies

For Moscow, the road became clear after the assault on Smolensk, which suddenly allowed the reinforced Central Front under Von Rundstedt to punch through the surrounding provinces. This in turn freed up the army in Smolensk to push on, and by the end of July they were on their way to being within one hundred miles of the capital.

Further north, all the former Baltic States were under German occupation, and Northern Army was in the process of securing the Lakes of Peipus and Pskov. By now though, they were exhausted from the long drive north, and as such the Emperor allowed the divisions to recuperate while that waited for additional reinforcements from Poland.

This was, however, to be the last of the reinforcements sent to the northern and central fronts. Each army was still able to hold it’s own as well as assist neighbouring forces, and as such it was decided that all new divisions were to be sent to the south, where German forces there were more thinly stretched. This did not stop the Field Marshall von Kleist from launching a general offensive in the region, which saw Germany crossing the River Dnieper and reach sight of the Crimean.

The lines of August 1st

As a result of the great success, Emperor Kan gave the final authorisation to launch offensives towards Leningrad and Moscow in August…

OOO... what fun... :hammer: No question whatsoever who has the baddest army now...

EDIT: OK, now questions/suggestions: UK still has Gibralter, does that mean they have a lot of Med. ships? or is it empty/controlled by someone else? Does Stalin have a lot of ships in the mediterranean? It would be great if we can get the UK to waste ships there while we invade the isles...

My order of this game has just been posted. Kan if this game sucks I'm kicking your ass :p

steviejay said:
My order of this game has just been posted. Kan if this game sucks I'm kicking your ass :p

Crap, you're one of the few CFC posters who can say that and reach me fairly easily! :eek:

Though, if it sucks, then you must be doing something wrong :mischief:

i think i'll vaction in Kiev this summer

Oh for pete's sake! These Soviet pilots didn't even get basic traininng! I got close enough to one of their planes to see just how shoddily the construction is! I've already got 27 kills during this invasion, and I've only flown combat 7 times! Added to my kills from France and Britain, that makes it a grand total of 77 kills.

August 1st - October 1st 1941

"As long as mankind shall continue to bestow more liberal applause on their destroyers than on their benefactors, the thirst of military glory will ever be the vice of exalted characters."
Edward Gibbon

The great battle for Moscow and Leningrad was to begin on the 8th August, and it was to be a campaign that lasted longer than the entire invasion of France. Further north, the initial motions were beginning for an advance on Leningrad.

The situation around Moscow, August 8th 1941

Leader of the Moscow offensive would be Army Group Centre commander - Field Marshal von Rundstedt, who had so far fought a relatively easy battle until now. At the same time, Field Marshall Hausser was swinging north towards Leningrad.

The Russians, for their part, were putting everything they could into defending the entire northern region, so much so that they withdrew dozens of divisions from Ukraine and the Caucasus, meaning that the German forces in the south were free to advance with little to no resistance - indeed, the entire Crimean fell without so much as a minor skirmish between the 11th and 20th August. Evidently, both sides were focused on the north.

At first, the Germans were shocked by the sudden increase in the Russian defence, which actually halted the advance - even forcing it back - several times. But the German ability to adapt to changing circumstances shone through, and many of the Russian counter-attacks were converted into encirclements and destruction. Despite this, casualties were extremely heavy - larger than at any point in the war to date. Nevertheless, the outskirts of Moscow were reached by the very end of August.

An artillery cannon fires at the city of Moscow

The Battle of Leningrad took a similar shape, indeed it was even harder for the German offence as FM Hausser had significantly fewer forces than Army Group Centre. Remarkably though, they just managed to ‘keep up’ with von Rundstedt, reaching Leningrad’s outskirts on the 6th September. By now the days were beginning to get noticeably shorter, and the nights colder, it was time for the big push.

While the defences of Leningrad were softened by aerial assault, von Rundstedt began the advance into Russia’s capital. Remarkably, considering the defence of the region so far, the engagement did not last very long, and despite attempts to plug gaps in the defence, the Red Army could not withstand the flood of German forces. Moscow fell on the 13th September.

Five days later, the attack on Leningrad began. Though a more able defence- this time including tank battalions, they had been weakened by near-constant air-attack, and as such, the capital of former Imperial Russia fell on the 21st September. It was two deadly blows, and another glorious victory for Germany.

Rumour has it this kill in Leningrad was by none other than Air Marshall PrinceScamp

As the Wehrmacht rushed to secure the surrounding regions, the first snowflakes began to fall on the eastern front. Winter had finally arrived, but the German army had no reason to fear it…

The Russian campaign so far.

Well... we certainly did better than Hitler... And BTW, wouldn't it be HERR Marshall PrinceScamp... :D

Did I mention their pilots suck? Er, well, sucked, not many of them left now. Their tanks are, or were, easy prey.
Planes shot down: 117
Tanks destroyed: 17
Trains taken out: 2
Missions flown: 67

Face it, they've lost.

suggestion: after we're done taking the UK, lets take over alaska to finish off stalin. :D

um the us owns alaska by now

We seem to be well on schedule!
Is the Soviet Union out of gas now, or will we face serios resistance in spring?

Killyouall, I presume as our intelligence minister you have some interesting news regarding Stalins whereabouts, or your last intelligence report comes from before 1867 :lol:

Till: I believe the fatal blows have beeen dealt, but we still need to launch an attack into southern Russia. This means the winter is mostly going to be spent recuperating and moving lots of units south for both us and them. I'll have a better idea of our position come the new year.

It should be noted that this is my fastest ever time for getting to Moscow and Leningrad in HoI2, usually it's not until 1942-3 that it happens :D

then when they least expect it another northern stike mwhahahahahahaha in the middle of winter mwhahahahahahahaha any who hows the oil sit.

Oil is fine for now.

I completely forgot to mention - Romania is now our ally, so we're getting oil from them. In addition, I'm getting cosy with the Finns, so they can open up another front in the north.

after the germorussian war should we quickly take over them then go to sealion or should we keep them as allies

November 15, 1941

EMERGENCY ANNOUNCEMENT

Gentlemen of the War Council, I am recieving some rather alarming news from Killyouall's agents in the Far East. They are under the impression that Japan has just conducted a large-scale operation against the United States of America. It is believed that this was in the form of a carrier strike against a U.S naval base.

The next few days will be critical. Given President Roosevelt's previous doctrines, I believe that - if proven true - this attack will lead to full-scale war between America and Japan. If we are lucky, they will not join the Allied Powers against us!

Emperor Kan.

Top Bottom