El Justo's Cookbook Thread

No worries mate! It is the third in my Roast Meats series, to be followed shortly by venison, either pheasant or grouse, and the granddaddy of them all - Roast Beef.

ahh - it's been a while since i posted any new recipes :D

so, since i've re-taken the role of 'head chef' in my house (the old lady works late now and i return home from work before her thus leaving me in charge of the commisary!), i present a great summertime side dish: couscous salad.

some may say: couscous? do i need to eat that stuff w/ my hands? :lol: of course not.

couscous is definitely one of the most versatile dishes in any chef's repetoire. it can be served cold, hot, al dente, as a side dish or as part of the main course.

anyhow - here's my not so fancy recipe:

ingredients
- package of couscous
- one (1) cucumber
- one (1) package of cherry tomatos
- olive oil
- white vinegar

1. measure off 1 cup of water and bring it to a boil in a small sauce pan that has a lid

2. measure off 1 cup of uncooked couscous and deposit it in the pot of boiling water. stir generously to even it all out. remove from heat and cover

3. let stand for 4-6 minutes

4. remove lid and fluff the couscous w/ a fork. put the whole pot (sans the lid) into either thr freezer or the fridge (the freezer is good if you are pressed for time while the fridge is good if you have an hour+ before eating)

5. peel the cucumber and begin chopping it into slices. stack the slices and chop them into quarters. i usually use about 2/3 of a cucumebr but it's up to your tastes. 2/3 usually packs the couscous while a 1/2 leaves less

6. rinse off about a dozen of the cherry tomatos. halve each one and the chop the halves down the center to get 4 pieces out of each little tomato

7. pull the couscous form the chiller and mix in c. 3 TBSP of olive oil - mix well

8. mix in about 2 TBSP of white vinegar - mix well - add more or less according to one's tastes

9. add in the tomatos and cucumber pieces and mix well. put back into the chiller until ready to serve

and that's it! it is a delicious summer time side dish that goes well w/ chicken dishes and any green vegatable. it also provides a starch for those concerned about well-rounded meals (that's me!).

of course, there are other veggies to put in there as well. my wife likes to add fresh dill herb in as it adds a distinctive flavor. i've also seen it w/ cilantro although i'm not so hot on this herb mixed w/ couscous. olives, peppers, mushrooms, or minced garlic cloves can bee used also. a dash of salt and pepper adds a little zip also.

enjoy! :)

An extraordinarily simple yet delicious salad dressing.

Mint sauce (fresh chopped mint leaves, a bit of demarara sugar, just floating in vinegar) + yoghurt (thick and creamy) + grated parmesan cheese. Stir it up and serve with salad leaves (lettuce, spinach, rocket, watercress, beetroot leaves, baby pak choi, whatever.).

Add whatever quantities you want, until it tastes wonderful. Say 1 tbsp mint sauce, 2 tbsp yoghurt, 2cc cheese grated in.

Ramius's naked Kitchen: Pork katsu Don

Ingredient:

Pork loin meat
breadcrumbs
1 onion
2 eggs
Japanese mirin
Japanese soysauce

Marinate:

Tenderise the meat and then season it with pepper, black pepper, light soysauce and a tiny bit of suger.

Just 10 mins before cooking, add salt , mixed well and cover with corn flour.

Direction:
1) Coat the pork loin in egg and then in breadcrumbs
2) deep fried in hot oil till golden brown and drain
3) Add some kelp stock and the add a few teaspoon of japanese soysauce, mirin and a tiny bit of sugar to get the broth done.
4) Simmer the broth in a shallow pan and add in pork cutlet(chopped)
5) Add the onion and cover the pan, let it cook for a minute.
6) add the egg and then quickly trasnfer the content of the pan into a bowl of rice. Served with some cut seaweed.

Exhibit I

Exhibit Mark II

Enjoy :D

Ramius, that looks delicious!

Here is a recipe for all of the burger fans out there. There is some preperation work involved, but trust me this is one tasty burger!

Portobello Burger
Ingredients
Sun-Dried Tomato Mayonnaise
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil, drained

Spice Mixture
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Grilled Portobellos
1/4 cup Zinfandel
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon zest
4 portobello mushrooms, stems removed

Patties
1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
3 tablespoons Zinfandel
2 shallots, finely chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne

Vegetable oil, for brushing on the grill rack
4 round focaccia rolls or onion rolls, split
16 arugula leaves
1/2 cup (about 4 ounces) fresh goat cheese

Directions
Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.

To make the mayonnaise, combine the mayonnaise and the sun-dried tomatoes in a small bowl and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until serving.

To make the spice mixture, combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.

To make the grilled portobellos, combine the Zinfandel, olive oil, lemon zest, and 1 tablespoon of the spice mixture in a shallow container and whisk to blend well. Add the mushrooms and turn to coat with the marinade. Set aside.

To make the patties, combine the beef, Zinfandel, shallots, cumin, cayenne, and remaining spice mixture in a large bowl. Handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it, mix well. Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and form the portions into patties to fit the rolls.

Drain the mushrooms, reserving the marinade.

When the grill is ready, brush the grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the patties and the mushrooms on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, until the patties are done to preference, 5 to 7 minutes on each side for medium, and the mushrooms are tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Brush the mushrooms frequently with the reserved marinade. During the last few minutes of cooking, place the rolls, cut side down, on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly.

To assemble the burgers, spread the mayonnaise over the cut sides of the rolls. On each roll bottom, place 4 arugula leaves, a patty, 2 tablespoons of the goat cheese, and a mushroom. Add the roll tops and serve.

Enjoy!

This thread is great. Here be my humble contribution.

Rhein's simple tuna salad
Fast & easy

Cucumber
Canned tuna (preferably in oil)
Dill
Chunk of edam or cottage cheese (I think any mild cheese will do)
Rape oil (preferably cold pressed) (olive oil works too)
Apple wine vinegar
Salt
Black pepper
Rice

Bear with me since I've never measured any of the ingredients properly. I've been just winging it.

1. Cook rice and let it cool. Cooked amount should be roughly 4 dl?.

2. Chop cucumber and cheese into fine cubes. about two handfuls of each.
If you use cottage cheese 2 dl should suffice.

3. Add two cans of tuna and mix, if it looks there's not enough tuna, throw in a third can.

4. Add a few table spoons of oil, two teaspoons of vinegar, a few pinches of salt and grinded black pepper and chopped dill.

5. Mix and place into fridge for a few hours.

6. Enjoy.

Notes:
You can also add some paprika cubes and cooked corn if you wish.
Be careful not to add too much cheese
If you get tuna with pre mixed dill it will be easier, but tastes a bit different.

It's enough for 4. maybe even 5. Like I said. I've never measured anything. They're just rough estimates of what I put in there.

OK. It sounds good. :)

A tuna dish I make from time to time goes like this:

One chopped onion.
One can of tuna, preferably in oil.
One clove (is that the word?) of chopped garlic.
Dijon mustard
Dragoon
salt
pepper
some cooking meal.

Open the can of tuna, and pour out the oil into the pan. Fry the onion and garlic (not too hard, and I don't know if "fry" is the right culinary word...). Sprinkle some meal (I use a special cooking meal called "Idealmjöl", made speacially for cooking) over it, and add the tuna. Add a bit of Dijon mustard, and dragoon, salt and pepper. And a bit of water. Let it cook a few minutes, and serve with pasta or rice.

It will give 1-2 servings, depending on size of onion and appetite.

The thing with this dish is that Dijon mustard and dragoon goes together like two things that go together really well. :)

Blackened Leatherjacket with bittergourd:

1) a whole large Leatherjacket(a fish)

2) a spoonful of Salted black beans

3) Crushed black pepper

4) Cooking wine, white.

5) Half of a sliced Bittergourd

6) 3 dried chilli, sliced ginger, chopped spring onions

Leatherjacket is a flattened fish with leathery hide, it is usually sold skinned, while bittergourd a wrinkly gourd that is bitter ;) (it may be an acquired taste), replace it with tender leeks if it is not available.

Cut the leatherjacket in half. Fry ginger, chilli pod and salted black beans until fragrant in a very strong flame; crush the chilli pod in the process with the spatula. Throw in the leatherjacket and sear them in the pan/wok. Turn as needed, it should be abit charred, but not burnt. Throw in the bitter gourd and turn the whole dish rapidly over and over. Pour some wine over the dish and cover, turn down the flame. The wine is for the purpose of having some gravy and preventing the dish from charring, so don't put too much! After 5 minutes, put in the spring onions, stir around and dish it over a plate.

2 recipes of mine: 1 very simple low budget aperitive, very fat too, but oh so yummy and my way to make spaghetti.

the "Baldrick"
this one's easy,you'll be done in 5 minutes
what you need :
1: some loafs of white bread
2: butter, lot's of it
3: a pan
let's get on it, shall we?
warm up the pan on a gentle fire
throw the butter in and let it slowly melt
meanwhile, take the crust of the bread, rip them out until you get bits of breadcrust with a bit of the bread itself on it, don't make them too small or too big.
throw the pieces in and let it bake, turn around carefully and you got some very crunchy toast
now add the toppings of your preferring:
peanut butter, choco, meat salad, rat ;)

student's spaghetti
main dish, spaghetti on my way for the fast living man who doesn't wants to make his sauce yet wants it special.
what you need:
rather thick spaghetti (preferably already endowed in olive oil)
spaghetti suace,preferablly something very basic and light,i would love to make the suace myself, but i don't have enough time and place :(
sundried tomatoes
red peppers
some paprica
a very little bit of apple
to make it:
the usual: warmp up the suace and boil and cook the spaghetti for about 6,7 minutes
add you're prefered ingrediënts to the sauce,
when you're done add the spaghetti, mix it around a bit add the tiny bits of appel and you're favourite spices: and please don't use tobasco: it kills everything else
eat out of the pan, while doing you're homework :crazyeye:
very basic but very yummy, i come fout of a family with a lot of cooking tradition and i suck oh so much at it :lol:

Turner's Fried Rice
This is primarily a breakfast dish, but as I have a screwed up schedule I eat it whenever. There's probably a high content of fat in this...eat it at your own risk. :p

Start out with four cups of cooked rice. It can be instant or regular. Put it in a tupperware bowl, and stick it in the refridgerator. Now, go to bed.

Awake? Good. Mosey on down to the kitchen, and pull that rice out of the fridge. Now take a half-pound of ground sausage. I use breakfast sausage, but no reason why any other kind of sausage wouldn't work. Cook it up and crumble it in the pan. Once it's done cooking, move the sausage to one side, or remove it if you feel you need too. Add your favorite seasonings to the oil (put the rice back in the pan if you've removed it). I use minced garlic, crushed red peppers (like used for pizza), onion flakes, salt and pepper. You can also add parsley or the ilk. Stir occasionally. After the grease has absorbed the flavoring from the spices, dump the rice (and sausage, if you've removed it) back into the skillet. Stir the rice around so it's covered in the sausage grease. Cook it for a few minutes, allowing the rice to absorb whatever's left in the skillet. Add bacon to taste. I use between four and six pieces, depending. Stir it up some more, and let it cook for a few more minutes. Crack eggs into the mixture. I use 3, but use however many you like. What I do is pack the rice down, so the egg stays on top. After I've cracked the eggs into the mixture, I mix the eggs up so they look like scrambled eggs. Once the eggs are mixed up, I mix it into the rice. Cook until the eggs are cooked (I don't like runny eggs), turning occasionally. I generally get two or three meals out of this, so there's gonna be a lot. You can divide the recipe as needed.

I'm gonna say it again...they're nothing 'low fat' about this meal...eat at your own risk.

El Justo: could you update the contents list on the first page?

Spicy aromatic lamb (vaguely Chinese)
Rack of lamb, or shoulder will do. Can also be used on chicken, pork, etc.
Cut a lot of slits into the meat - go deep, and make holes at least three cm (1 inch) long. Start it roasting, in a casserole or Dutch oven.
Get quite a lot of ginger, chilli, garlic, spring onion, and fresh herbs (parley, mint, rosemary, thyme etc). Finely chop the herbs and chilli, and set aside in a bowl. Cut the ginger, garlic and spring onion things into large thin slices, like a thin coin. Set aside. Mix some five-spice powder, and grate some pepper, into the herb mix. Bruise some coriander seeds and sezchaun peppers, and stir into the herb mix.
When the meat is nearly done, about 10-20 minutes before serving, poke the bits of ginger, garlic and spring onion into the slits in the joint. Stuff them all in; any that won't go, just put them underneath it. There should be some molten fat underneath, so they'll fry gently. Smear the herb+spice mix over the outside of the joint; leave to roast gently for another 10-20 minutes - no longer or the herbs will blacken. Just before serving, pour some soy sauce over the joint. Serve immediately with rice and stir-fried vegetables.

Pennsyltucky Fried Turkey
1. Shoot the bird; make sure bird does not exceed 12-pounds; if it does, shoot a smaller one
2. Defeather
3. Remove bird shot
4. Remove guts and yucky parts
5. pepper, kosher salt, two pinches of cayenne pepper, garlic powder - rub over skin of bird; let sit overnight
6. heat oil in big fryer to about 375 degrees
7. while oil is heating, mix one can of beer, one can of chicken broth, one melted stick of butter togethor
8. using the proper implement(a big syringe), inject the beer/broth/butter into the bird - you will have leftover beer etc. don't drink it
9. the bird has now sat in the rub overnight, buy the appropriate gear and gently lower it into the oil for 45 minutes or until the skin is golden brown then remove and eat

I hope this made sense.

Soul's Shakshouka :devil: (tomato based egg thingee)

stuff you put inside:
tomato puree (1 spoon or tiny package)
tomatoes - about 3 pounds for every 2 diners. chop into 8ths, grate half into a pulp.
onions - 1 large dry onion. not to big, as this is a tomato dish.
eggs - as many as will fit in your pan.
* other veggies: are optional, though not for everyone (as this can get quite rich) - peppers, sweet corn, shrooms
seasoning - garlic (lots), salt (some), black pepper (some), Red Hot Chilli Peppers (as many as you dare.)

how do we start?
* take a BIG DEEP PAN (or a nice pot - for 6 diners you can and should use a deep 7-9 liter pot)
* put in some extra good OLIVE OIL. none of that other stuff! heat on a medium flame.
* add in CHOPPED ONIONS, fry till transparent.
* add chilli peppers (sliced, diced and fired up) - make sure you add just as much as you can handle.
* add tomato 8ths and Puree. let them fry up a bit to soften up.
* add tomato pulp (without the skin)
* lower flame to lowest possible flame.
* stir occasionally for about 30-45 minutes. make sure its NOT burning up,
* KEEP to a LOW SIMMER
* fish out the skins with a fork (this is timeconsuming, but wel worth the hassle)
* add in the extra veggies (optional, and not traditional, but nice...)

* by this stage it should have thickened up, and lost about half of its depth

* add eggs onto the simmering tomatoes.
* sprinkle with Papprika (hot is better), pepper, salt, etc.
* let eggs cook for another 10 minutes (or till ready)

remember this is supposed to be a Hot dish.

serve immediatly with a loaf of Sweet Bread.

** optionals:
-- parsley, basil, rosemary, etc. add to taste, you cant really hurt this.
-- seasoning can vary as much as you want.
-- ADD some (1 teaspoon per diner) sugar. it will help take the edge of the burn, deepening the taste.
-- add a few HOT SPICY SAUSAGES. prefry a bit in another pan. - EXTRA COOL

you can lower amounts to fit in a small pan.
just use common sense.

i use it as a whole meal dish (add in a small salad and LOTS of water)

Sophie 378 said:
El Justo: could you update the contents list on the first page?
hi Sophie. sorry for not having responded in a timely manner :blush: i've just now updated the front page. it's a laborious task to say the least. so i had to gear up to find and put up all of those new links :) it's done now! so keep 'em coming!

Great work El J :goodjob: . I'm a luver of the meat and fish section :clap: :drool: .

dgfred said:
Great work El J :goodjob: . I'm a luver of the meat and fish section :clap: :drool: .
thanks dude :) so am i.

El Justo's Bloody Mary
otherwise known as "The Breakfast of Champions", the Bloody Mary comes in a variety of incarnations. however, for the true Bloody Mary connoisseur, one small ommission and the whole drink is bunk. so - i present to you all the 'deluxe' version of the bloody mary:
lemon
worcestershire sauce (if none, then A1 steaksauce will suffice)
grated horseradish (the straight stuff)
salt
pepper
onion powder
garlic powder
tabasco sauce
celery (optional)
green olives (optional)
vodka*
*note that i usually recommend premium vodkas for most drinks that call for this spirit. however, in some cases such as the bloody mary, the actual taste (ie the smoothness, etc) of the spirit is greatly compromised by the overwhelming flavor of the drink. therefore, any old vodka will suffice for this recipe.
bar/fruit knife
jigger
- squeeze 2 lemon wedges and 2 lime wedges worth of juice into the mixture
- give a squirt or 2 of the worcestershire sauce (or c. a 1/2 TSP of A1)
- add about a 1/2 TSP of horseradish (add according to taste - be careful though - this stuff can be really hot!)
- add a pinch of the following: salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder
- add a couple squirts of tabasco sauce (again, be careful cause this stuff really jacks up the heat)
- mix w/ the bar spoon or shake well (if one has the tumbler)
- garnish w/ celery, olives, or additional lime or lemon wedges

PS-there are other alternatives also wrt what goes into a bloody mary. i've seen people ask for clam juice and Old Bay seasoning to name a few. it's really up to your tastes but know that nothing is really off-limits when having such a fine cocktail!

Top Bottom