The Sound of Drums - A British Hearts of Iron II AAR

I'm actually very interested in the intelligence screen of the expansions, as I've always felt having a full readout of rival nation strength at my command a bit too much of a bonus.

The 'nofog' cheat is a toughy. I like to use it for screenshots (makes them look nicer) but has the obvious downside that it means I've seen enemy positions. I assure the readers I am an honest man, and do not use such things to my advantage.

After all, I have a full-human cabinet of players vs. the computer. We can hardly lose?

A good gameplay bonus with Doomsday and Armageddon is the AI-controlled trades. While these can be a bit inefficient and sometimes annoying, I've found them almost universally more productive as I spend much less time micromanaging the economy to get my resources JUST RIGHT and more time swampting the globe in a sea of red/green/grey (depending on which country I'm playing as).

Well seeing as I have provided you with completly accurate army sizes for every nation in the world, I think I should get some sort of pay raise.

Fleet Disposition

Based in Britain​
The Grand Armada
Under the command of Grand Admiral Cleric.
2 Carriers, 4 Battleships, 1 Battle-cruiser, 4 Heavy Cruisers, 6 Light Cruisers and 8 Destroyers
First Support Fleet
Under the command of Admiral Dreyer. The HMS Coventry, under the command of Captain Carnage, is in this fleet.
1 Battlecruiser, 4 Heavy Cruisers, 6 Light Cruisers, 5 Destroyers

Based in the Mediterranean​
The First Armada
Under the command of Grand Admiral Chatfield
2 Carriers, 4 Battleships, 1 Battle-cruiser, 4 Heavy Cruisers, 6 Light Cruisers and 8 Destroyers
The Second Fleet
Under the command of Admiral Pound
1 Carrier, 2 Battleships, 2 Heavy Cruisers, 6 Light Cruisers, 6 Destroyers

Based in the Far East​
The First Fleet
Under the command of Admiral Sommerville
1 Carrier, 2 Battleships, 2 Heavy Cruisers, 6 Light Cruisers, 6 Destroyers

It should be noted that, if we appear to be overstretched, then it will be remedied in the coming years as our fleet is expanded. I hope to create the Third Fleet, as well as several more of the Support Fleets. Submarine and transport fleets have not yet been decided upon.

And for clarification, Armada's fall under the command of Grand Admirals, so have 19+ vessels. Fleets are commanded by Admirals, and have up to 18 vessels in them. Support Fleets can also have up to 18 ships, but are designed to assist the main fleets in battle, if need be.

Maybe you don't have the appropriate patch for Doomsday to ease the transition? I think it must be 1.3 or higher to be cross-compatible.

Is the First Fleet stationed in Singapore or in Hong-Kong? And do the bases have the appropriate land-based garrison to ward off Eastern aggression?

Is the First Fleet stationed in Singapore or in Hong-Kong? And do the bases have the appropriate land-based garrison to ward off Eastern aggression?

Singapore, which is defended by a garrison division. Given it's ample coastal defences, as well as it's neighbours being Siam (friendly to us) and French Indochina, I think we're safe for now.

Maybe you don't have the appropriate patch for Doomsday to ease the transition? I think it must be 1.3 or higher to be cross-compatible.

I have Doomsday patched to 1.3. It only seems to happen after I save a game in Armageddon. :dunno:

With a large fleet in Singapore, I highly doubt the Japenese or any other aggressor will attack from the water.

Unfortuantely they will. IIRC the carrier is a 1 class or 2 class. And there is only one. Nothing compared to the 4 or 5 I'm sure the Japanese have, and they're more advanced. Unless the Home fleet is weakened (which I believe may be beneficial) then the Far east will fall to theo Japanese

Unfortuantely they will. IIRC the carrier is a 1 class or 2 class. And there is only one. Nothing compared to the 4 or 5 I'm sure the Japanese have, and they're more advanced. Unless the Home fleet is weakened (which I believe may be beneficial) then the Far east will fall to theo Japanese

Assuming, of course, that the Japanese have designs outside of the already-heeled Manchuria and the grumbling Chinese, which are surely targets for Japanese expansion. We'll have to tread carefully with our diplomatic stance on this...too lenient, and the Japos could get ideas of their own ascendancy. Too stringent, and the Japos could very well attempt to wrest that ascendancy by force of arms against our and our allies' colonial outposts.

The Sound of Drums - A British Hearts of Iron AAR
Part Two​

7th March - 17th July 1936

The outcry over the German reoccupation of the Rhineland ended almost as soon as it began. The British Cabinet paid it little heed, the Prime Minister less so - as far as they were concerned Germany were merely reclaiming their own territory. The only real problem was mentioned by Foreign Minister Rheinmetall - almost as a musing - that this may just be the start of the charismatic German leaders ambitions.

Not that Britain could argue it was going to be unprepared! In late March the next generation of Field Artillery units were unveiled as prototypes (to which the Army Chiefs promptly depended several orders of) and more excitingly, the aircraft manufacturer Avro announced that it had been contracted by the RAF to develop a new type of plane - one that could transport soldiers to a target and allow them to jump out (with parachutes, obviously) into glorious battle below. It may have been said that the British Army is a missile that was fired by the navy, but it was clear that the airforce was doing it’s best to catch up.

It’s a grand old war after all…

However, the Royal Navy were hardly willing to let their recent rejuvenation slow down in light of such progress by the other armed branches. In addition to the reorganisation of the fleet to better deal with potential world problems, the keel to the first King George V class battleship was laid down in April. With hindsight it might be easy to claim the government were a little quick to name a new vessel class after the recently deceased monarch head, but there is no doubt it did much to appease dissent following the King’s death. It also slightly quelled protests from the pro-battleship crowds, worrying that the aircraft carrier was taking over as the prime instrument in British "foreign relations".

For the rest of the world, war seemed to creep its way back into the grand scheme of things. After a long fight Ethiopia finally fell to the Italians, finally surrendering to them on the 28th March. In the Far East - a region so debated by the Cabinet - Nationalist China went to war with a southern faction, Guangxi Clique, the latter launching a major offensive throughout late June. The distraction allowed the communist Chinese faction - located in the north - to renew their own campaign for dominance. None were threats to British holdings in the region, but the destabilisation could only be described as worrying.

Spain is split!

However, as is the way of things, events closer to home quickly took precedence, as the anxious, yet calm peace in Spain finally ignited into fighting. The Popular Front was failing to live up to its name, assassinations were quickly galvanising right and leftist groups alike, and it was inevitable that civil war would follow. On the 17th of July, it did, as militarist right wing groups began a revolution against the government. Regardless of whether Britain decided to stay out of the immediate fighting, there was an overwhelming feeling that the fighting could be seen as a proxy war between the left and right governments in Europe…

Do you believe that, at this time, the Japanese Empire will declare war against Britain and her colonies?

Remember that these fleets are only initial, and that they will increase over the next few years. And obviously, should Imperial Japan try anything, we will send reinforcements to the Far East to support the First Fleet. The only reason that such grand armadas have not been sent is because - as has been insinuated - we are not expecting a war against Japan!

The only real problem was mentioned by Foreign Minister Rheinmetall - almost as a musing - that this may just be the start of the charismatic German leaders ambitions.

I do believe that I was the one that mentioned the charismatic German leader, especially since Rhein hasn't posted since Page 4. :p

I do believe that I was the one that mentioned the charismatic German leader, especially since Rhein hasn't posted since Page 4. :p

Indeed, but he doesn't know the game that well, and my love of his artwork and his contribution to my SH3 AAR means he has much a place in this as anyone. Contribution doesn't entirely matter, but it helps. The Ministry of Silly Walks has, after all, been a part of most my stories despite contribution. :p

Part of the crew, part of the ship and all that. You're all mine now.

In regards to the spanish civil war, I feel that we should make sure to back the side that controls the provences around Gibralter to limit the threat to our territory.

Leave them to their own accord I say, plus my reports indicate that a large portion of there armed forces joined the "browns" added to that the help other fascists will send...

Which side is which?

I wonder too though, if it would be good way to releive outselves of left wing communist sympathisers if we allowed them to join in the civil war if they wish via the foreign legions? (OOC: I can't remember what it's called, but there were Canadian and British and other people who fought in the Spanish Civil War, mostly on the communist-backed side, via some knid of internation foreign legion. blood transfusions were also advanced greatly in that war.)

Top Bottom