The Sound of Drums - A British Hearts of Iron II AAR

Good update. :D

Looks like the Krauts won't get a chance to attack before the winter's out. Shall I put have Volum put the kettle on?

Probably for the best :)

I still say we should bomb them to high heaven.

Sadly we don't have much in the way of strategic bombers (though more are being constructed). Some strikes on Germany's industries along the Rhine should be in order, though.

...Unless you only plan on sending only eight divisions to France in which case I've just wasted text. :D

It's a good strategy, and will bear it in mind. However such an offensive will have to be ordered by French High Command, as at present the BEF will only consist of those 8 divisions. If we have some good luck we may see some motorised divisions deployed to assist in the next few months, but even then that's only a couple more divisions at best. We should consider ourselves a defensive force, for now.

Kan I want the Rome one back :(

Espeically before the save on my desktop get's deleted or corrupted. (Almost deleted my whole desktop today).

I think it'll be safe to delete. I have a couple different versions of it saved (including a couple via email), and intend on getting an external hard-drive soon to properly back-up my files. My computer is effectively fixed at present, and as such I can play games like Rome again without fear of crashing. It's just time-constraints that's preventing me from reviving a second AAR at the moment :)

Actually I meant you needed all those forces just for defense. Germany managed to break the line eventually even with me having 30 infantry and six tanks in France. I had to do a Dunkirk at Canes for all those divisions.

Edit: Oh ya and with regards to bringing dead AAR's back to life, I understand your hesitation. I hate it when I force myself to play a game I'm bored of just to finish the game. Better to wait for some inspiration.

Have you posted this on the Paradox forums; Kan?

Actually I meant you needed all those forces just for defense. Germany managed to break the line eventually even with me having 30 infantry and six tanks in France. I had to do a Dunkirk at Canes for all those divisions.

Ah, that's a little worrying.

Have you posted this on the Paradox forums; Kan?

Nopety nope. Be a bit difficult to do an interactive AAR on the Paradox forums when my chief advisers are on CFC :)

The Sound of Drums - A British Hearts of Iron AAR
Part Nineteen

15th September - 4th October 1939

German High Command clearly never intended to take on Warsaw directly. Protected by heavily urbanised districts, rivers and no less than 8 infantry divisions, a direct assault would be no less than a suicidal charge. Instead, Von Rundstedt planned to encircle the city with the armoured divisions available to him, allowing an attack to Warsaw’s vulnerable east at best, or a simple besieging of the city at worst.

Planned encirclement of Warsaw

Expecting little Polish resistance after its initial routing, German forces were shocked to find that their enemy had rallied and was now putting up an effective defence at last. In the south, the province of Radom saw heavy fighting as the Polish defences refused to yield to Rundstedt’s opening attack, instead fighting a slow withdrawal for two days. The reasons for such a defence became clear on the 18th, when the Polish 10th Armia struck at the German invaders north of Warsaw, achieving total surprise and managing to secure the province of Lonza once more.

Continued hope for Poland’s survival came with another German defeat, this time in the province of Lublin, where Rundstedt had launched his main sweeping attack to secure positions behind Warsaw. Already exhausted after the defeat in Radom, General von Leeb’s Third Armeekorps simply couldn’t hope to achieve any sort of victory there. However there was one small contingency plan available to the Germans - unleash the armoured reserves!

Britain and France meanwhile, slowly continued their own mobilisation plans in relative safety. With the BEF deployed, there was little to do but wait for reinforcements - ANZAC forces were underway from Australia and New Zealand, totalling 7 divisions in all, and talk had begun of sending infantry divisions designated for the Home Island defence to France. It was a remarkably pleasant war for Britain, and the Cabinet were shocked when German bombers made their way to Plymouth on the 21st and attempted to bombard the transport fleet docked there.

Those filthy Germans bomb Plymouth harbour! And miss. And take out 13-19 George Street instead. And that nice baker shop run by Mr. Newman.

The gloves were now off! Outraged, the Cabinet gave Air Marshall e350tb full permission to retaliate however he pleased. He sent his entire strategic force - three bomber wings - into the heart of Germany’s industrial base on the Rhine, bombing Frankfurt on the 23rd. He was supported by the airforce of France who, apparently just as outraged at Germany’s dastardly strike, began a week-long bombardment against the enemy. In all cases every attack achieved minimal results, but it was good to be in the thick of things once more.

Similarly, Poland continued to contribute to the war by fighting for its very survival. The German gamble had paid off - Rommel’s LVI Panzer Division succeeded where von Leeb’s army could not and had smashed into Lublin He did not stop there, and instead pushed even further east, creating a salient into Kowel by the 24th. A dangerous position to be in, and one that could have been easily pushed back by the Polish forces in the south if it weren’t for the news that Germany had brought in assistance from the most unlikely of nations. On the 23rd September the Soviet Union invaded eastern Poland.

Polish High Command was now in total confusion. Eastern Poland was completely undefended, but the only major forces at their disposal were those defending Warsaw or the south. They would not need to make any decision on what to do next though, the initiative was now firmly Germany’s, and they were quick to make up for their mistakes in the previous week. The Battle of Warsaw began on the 25th September, being attacked simultaneously in the north, as well as from the south-east thanks to Rommel’s earlier victories. The defenders of the city had no chance, breaking a mere two days later, with the city falling on the 29th.

Poland falls to Germany and the Soviet Union.

Poland formally surrendered on the 3rd October, though its ability to fight had ended nearly a week before. There had been a brief hope of survival after the initial failures, but new German tactics, as well as its shocking pact with its ideological enemies in Russia broke whatever spirit was left. The Eastern Front was lost…

ahem

on an unrelated note I'll be at my desk in Ottawa, I'll send Buttertarts :p

Damn and blast! Still, we'll need to continue those Rhine bombings, if you ask me. Best to knock out thier industry soon, what?

Knew we couldn't trust that stalin. I think we should keep the anzac forces in reserve to be shipped in an emergency.

Scamp: After WWI and the establishment of the Weismar republic, I think the Von was simply used as part of family names, not as a title and no longer marked any aristocratic or legal privliges.

The Ministry of Silly Walks requests an update on the Asia situation.

Kan, IIRC Hitler had gotten rid of the title von, so how come there is a general with it?

I'm simply using what the game (or wikipedia) gives me. I think Nodikus is right however, it seems to be being used as part of the name, not as a title :)

The Ministry of Silly Walks requests an update on the Asia situation.

Effectively the same as last time, though I'll give it a proper look next time I play. Japan remains stalemated, but they made a peace treaty with the Guangxi clique.

You should post save files occasionally so that the Ministry of Silly Walks may analyze the situation on its own :p

I took a break from chasing an intriguing ginger haired lass and finally caught up with everything. All I have to say is: Blimey!

That and improve CAGs, better anti-sub warfare as well! Bloody Jerries dont have the courage to fight out in the open and their submarines are definitively not wide enough for silly walking unlike my broad carrier deck.

Maybe, but why protect Norway. Seems like a waste of infantry to me over a neutral, unimportant nation.

1. Block transport of Swedish ore to Germany.
2. Prevents German u-boats from gaining important ports.
3. Prevents the Luftwaffe from being able to strike northern UK.
4. Gives UK soldiers access to fine blond Norwegian women.

As the teaboy, i demand that efforts be made to ensure Norwegian neutrality and if necessary defend its independence. Soon, an incident will occur in the Norwegian fjords that will prove me right. mark my words!

Top Bottom