The Sound of Drums - A British Hearts of Iron II AAR

May I enter the war cabinet as a minister without portfolio? I've been following the situation since I entered the parliament in 1936 from the backbench. I now realised it is my duty as a member of the parliament to seek admission into the cabinet, and offer my humble input.

Of course, consider yourself as part of UNIT, and you may find/create yourself a proper administrative position if you wish.

I would be happy to become leader of the cabinet, although I'm not 100% sure as to what my role would be.

Similar to the Imperial Defence Council, UNIT exists to make sure that the government is acting in the best interests of its people. I rather enjoyed Riptide's usual opposition and regular questioning of my decisions, but how you wish to respond to Parliamentary or the Prime Minister's decisions is entirely your choice.

We'll see if Davo wishes a chance to take the role of leader as well, though I hear he's been busy writing some fictional pieces based on a world where Germany achieves total domination. Will make for a some fantastic propaganda piece to stir up British resistance to the Jerries, if I do say so myself.

i would be honoured to accept the position Prime Minister

Most excellent!

Ill accept whatever Kan' Tells me :D

Good boy!

Over 50 pages into the AAR and the war has barely started! :lol:

I know, it's brilliant :D

So, are we to refer to the Unified Intelligence Taskforce as UNIT, then? :mischief:

Yup! I mentioned UNIT before (it was the name of the operation where we seized Iceland). Might as well make the organisation properly, though.

Hmmm I suppose it's about time I moved up from adviser and got an official title and a more active role.

May I be moved up to General, at the armed forces disposal?

The Sound of Drums - A British Hearts of Iron AAR
Part Twenty-Nine​

2nd May - 8th May 1940

The dawn had barely broken on the 2nd May yet the British Parliament was packed. Germany was beginning its war in the west, and an emergency session had to be called. The resulting debate continued throughout the day, though to all involved it no doubt felt closer to lasting a fortnight.

Of major importance was the decision on how to defend France. Discussions on how the British Expeditionary Force could be best deployed to repulse a German attacks had been ongoing since October the previous year, yet no firm decision had been made. Thankfully such discussions had resulted in the creation of two main proposals; one grounded in the defensive tactics of the Great War by Rapidveggie, while the second by Minister Raisin Bran offered a more dangerous operation that, if successful, could result in the destruction of the entire German invasion force. In the end, it was Raisin Bran’s ‘Operation Crumpets’ that gained the votes, though shortly after the vote was passed the name became the more sensible ‘Operation Hangman.’

The Allies battle as one!

As the BEF began reorganising itself on the 3rd, the French began their own push into Belgium. Their own plans involved creating a ‘forward defence’ in Belgium, hoping that it would be enough to keep the Germans out of France completely. This would be the so-called Basel Line, and it was hoped that it could be formed well before Germany even entered Belgium. That plan was to fail.

The German invasion of the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxemburg began simultaneously on the 2nd May across all fronts. It appeared that, despite the continuous warnings from Britain and France that Germany would not respect their neutrality, surprise was total. With the exception of Arnhem, the frontlines of all three nations collapsed within a day, the first province (Groningen, in the Netherlands) captured on the 3rd May - less than 24 hours after the invasion began.

The situation degraded rapidly. On the 5th Amsterdam fell under attack, eventually falling two days later. Luxemburg was annexed into Germany on the 7th, and the French suffered the first attack on their own soil as Panzer forces probed the Maginot Line south of the former nation. More worrying was the situation in Belgium - though none of its provinces had been captured, neither the Belgian Army or the arriving French forces succeeded in a counter-attack against the invading forces arriving from Cologne. With additional German forces now able to head directly south behind the Meuse and Schelde Rivers, it would not be long before Belgium fell along with her northern neighbours.

The situation in the Low Countries, 8th May

It was not all bad news, though it was hard to see how anything good could possibly compare to the dreadful events of the week. Some hope came that Allied forces still had dominance in the air, as British, French and Australian aircraft took to the skies above eastern Belgium. The new Spitfire Mark.IX saw battle for the first time, achieving victory in the skies against their Luftwaffe counterparts, and three new squadrons were declared ready for action on the 7th.

The BEF once again proved that when it came to redeployment and massive reorganisation there was no one better or more efficient than the British. On the 3rd the divisions received their orders that they were to prepare for Operation Hangman, and within two days all troops were in their new positions. If the French were unable to hold Belgium, then the British were ready to hold France…

Who are those red white and green infantry fighting alongside the Germans?

now, the war for us has truly begun.

May the almighty prepare us for the onslaught about to be unleashed

with regards to the defence of france all we can do now is hope, i would say that there is nowt stopping the germans from marching through central belgium and into the totally unguards french province of dunkirk. I tell you gentlemen the channel ports must be secured if we are not to be destroyed in detail in france if jerry gets the upper hand.

the dutch are no great loss, there military was weak and they were irresponsible in spurning our diplomatic advances.

now they will pay for there lack of vision, only now, at the end do they see. :p

Hmmm I suppose it's about time I moved up from adviser and got an official title and a more active role.

May I be moved up to General, at the armed forces disposal?

Done. Any force in mind for your command?

Hungarian divisions, I think. :)

Correct :)

with regards to the defence of france all we can do now is hope, i would say that there is nowt stopping the germans from marching through central belgium and into the totally unguards french province of dunkirk. I tell you gentlemen the channel ports must be secured if we are not to be destroyed in detail in france if jerry gets the upper hand.

I intend to shift a couple additional infantry divisions from England to protect Dunkirk.

Still waiting. Your forces in Egypt have been given a new motorised infantry and standard infantry division though.

I would imagine that the if the Italians want to try anything, it's going to depend on what happens in France.

The fate of the free world rests on our boys in France. Perhaps a bit of an exageration, but I doubt anyone in Britain will sleep soundly if those barbarians are on the otherside of the channel. Is their anyway to gouge just how many troops the huns and their allies are fielding along the line?

Intelligence isn't looking good. It's confirmed that the German army that invaded Luxembourg and attempted to pierce the Maginot Line contains 10 divisions, including 4 armoured. It's likely to join with the army invading eastern Belgium - at least another 10 divisions of unspecified type. More alarmingly, it is believed that the force that invaded the Netherlands and is currently moving down the coast towards Dunkirk consists of between 15 and 20 divisions, including at least one of their Headquarters Divisions. It seems that the Germans have sent this force specifically to neutralise the BEF while the forces from Eastern Belgium hit France through Valenciennes.

Given this, I would recommend that we cancel Operation Hangman. Even if it succeeded, it would mean we have left open our north-western flank and all of the Channel ports to the German army. Our supply lines would be severed, and it would mean the BEF itself could be surrounded. At this point I'm not even sure that Rapidveggie's plan would work - we planned for one German army of such a strength, certainly not two.

I would suggest that instead we send the BEF towards it's original positions along the Dunkirk-Lille-Vallenciennes axis and hope to defend against this second army. French and Belgian forces are already forming a new defence line further south and towards the Maginot Line, they should be able to hold off the main force.

Shoot... Without the fortification bonus, and with Belgium forces being demoralized and mauled I don't know how well they'll do. It is unlikely Belgium has the industry and manpower to reinforce them at this point. I suggest falling back making the line through Paris. An unpoplar suggestion no doubt but it might give us time to fortify and let the RAF get a crack at the Germans, and the rivers will help. The French won't abandon the maginot line though and will he surrounded and their divisions will be as useless as Belgium...

Never mind my top suggestion I think that we need to stick with operation hangman at this point and move our transport fleets to Southern France to be ready for evac. It seems too late to change the plan at this point and we may be able to get a piece of the German army, however small, before withdrawing to Africa and taking stock. Future generations may laugh at such a swift exit after all our talk about mauling the Germans but at least their will be future generations.

If we are facing twice the number of German divisions than was expected then I think the smart thing to do would be return to our original positions keeping our supply lines, exit strategy and the northern flanks of the French army secure.

How long does intelligence think the Germans will take to overrun Belgium?
Has the Dutch forces in Rotterdam and Utrech been destroyed yet and If not is there any way to extract them?

I believe we should try to hold the line, but try to encircle the germans on the coast. The fleet must be ready for evac both in the mediterrainian and ready in England to evac on the channel ports on in western france. Of course, hopefully that iwll not be nesecary.

I agree with Princescamp, change the line so its better suited to take out the coastal army. Let them take Dunkerque and Calais, attack Dunkerque from Lille and then capture the german army. If this isn't possible we'll need to think of a new plan.

let them take calais and dunkirk!

Operation Hangman is now off the books gentlemen,time to fight hard and dirty. there is no point encirciling a larger army than ours only stretches us thin...

I say a strong forward defence in france with a gradual fall back towards paris, the northern ports however MUST remain firmly under allied control. No retreats through Southern France!

Done. Any force in mind for your command?
With the recent outbreak of fighting in the low countries, and the inevitable battle of France to come, it seems I must fufill my duty to the homeland by leading the valient British forces in defence of france! So I submit myself for a role in command of part of the British Expeditionary Forces. From the latest war report you have posted, I will happily take command of the troops currently blocking the German path to Paris.

Top Bottom