SCENARIO: Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version

I have tried downloading it again repeatedly and its still not working. Is there any other links I could try? How big is the file supposed to be, I have it downloading to 720kb. When I look inside the german infantry folder is there but there is no sign of the spanish cavalry one. Would it work if I downloaded the large AoI folder again???

don't have the files on the pc i'm at right now but it isn't much in terms of total file size. there's another option, too. you could go into the Spanish Cav file and the German Infantry file and fix the ini. the DL is just a fix. i mean, it is quite easy to do manually :D

Oh right I see. I just had a quick look in the units folder and the German Infantry WW1 folder is present but the Spanish Cavalry folder is not present at all. How exactly would I fix this manually? I do not possess much experience in this type of thing. :mischief:
Excellent scenario btw, I am eagerly looking forward to the new version! :D

the Spanish Cavalry folder should have a text file inside of it and that's it. is should be named Spanish Cavalry (same as the folder name). iirc, it's called British Cavalry. simply right-click on the ini file (ie the text file) and click "Rename" and put in the correct entry.

i forget what the issue was with German Infantry WWI. if it's an ini error like noted above, follwo a similar procedure (ie make sure the ini/text file is named exactly as the unit folder).

in total, the fix should take, like, 30 seconds :)

From what I remember, there was no Spanish Cavalry folder, so the best thing to do would be copy another cavalry folder, and rename both the folder and the .ini inside to "Spanish Cavalry".

yea thats what I ended up doing. Thanks to both of you for your help.

From what I remember, there was no Spanish Cavalry folder, so the best thing to do would be copy another cavalry folder, and rename both the folder and the .ini inside to "Spanish Cavalry".

I actually copied over my fixed version of Steph's 19th century Spanish Cavalry Cossacks conversion unit that I was using in my own private mod of the Napoleonic scenario. :lol: Looks a wee bit out of place, but it works.

El Justo, what is your prognosis for the release date of AoI v.4.0? The fact is, I'm really impatient and I'm sure others would like to ask you the same question, but have been too shy to put the question directly. Thank you in advance; I assure you I'm already feeling like a kid waiting for the promised toy :bowdown:

If that's true El J, I'll have to hurry up and finish my American and German AoI stories! Then I can get to a British story, thus completing the Anglo-Saxon triumvirate. :goodjob:

Some might say that Britain's too easy, but the map looks like this, to give a preview:

The story revolves around Britain somehow losing both the Mahdist Revolt and the Boer Wars, resulting in the near-total collapse of Britain's Empire in South and Eastern Africa. While distracted with these huge conflicts(large amounts of destroyed infrastructure and ruins in Sudan and South Africa show the carnage in detail), Argentina managed to snag the Falklands and the revolt in Burma also succeeded. While Britain managed to escape it's African Wars with valuable Cape Town and the Suez canal, it lost all of South Africa - barely able to convince the Boers to spare Rhodesia - and the Sudan, not to mention British Somaliland.

With the South African-Boer Republic and the Mahdist Empire(this itself is based off if the Mahdists successfully invaded and annexed Ethiopia) established in Africa, the British government sought to reclaim Burma and the Falklands, but huge war weariness from the previous conflicts forced the British to (temporarily) abandon it's outposts. With Britain greatly weakened, powers ran rampant. The USA more or less seized Panama through various means; France managed to annex the newly-independent Burma; Russia consolidated it's power in Persia.

On top of all that, most of Canada and Australia, no longer confident in Britain's ability to defend them, broke away. The British Empire had fallen, but perhaps it could rise again...

On aesthetics, I modified the map so it uses your closed Dardanelles idea. :) The Ottomans get a boost from that, not to mention, they also get to keep Albania, which from what I heard, historically they had at this time. I also sealed off Manchuria and Korea from the industrial regions; there was a minor border change in Central Asia with the impassable mountains so as to facilitate easy transport between Russia's Persian and Chinese possessions.

On top of that, industrialisation is now a resource in Canada, in Ottawa, the new country's capital. Britain maintains Newfoundland & Labrador, but it possesses only Canada and will have to make war against the Canadians if it seeks to regain any power in the area.

In Australia, A-NZ remains a resource, but all colonialism is gone, replaced in favor with industrialisation. This will make a new challenge to players; these regions are fully industrialised, but Britain will need to work to reclaim them, a very hard task. All of Britain's local builds for Australia and Canada are also buildable by the independent countries, for obvious reasons. ;)

---

Anywho, I eagerly await AoI 4! :D

I bet one of the "problems" you're having with getting v4.0 done is all the 1895-WWI infantry that everyone seems to be making lately into the mod. :lol:

Also, I've had a few interesting ideas you might want to consider:

First of all, re: the Armies... I don't know if you've thought of or tried this, but why not have the Military Academy spawn Corps every 40 turns.... That is basically how the Final Fantasy Mod and Warhammer Fantasy mod works, and the AI seems to deal quite well with that (as a matter of fact, I had to play with the "foot unit" and "tacticle missile" flags to keep the AI from loading certain super-powerful Army-like units into the armies, resulting in almost unstoppalbe killing machines).

And speaking of the "tacticle missile" and "foot unit" flags: If you flag all your Railroad Guns and other units you DON'T want loaded onto transports with the "Tacticle Missile" flag, nobody will be able to load them onto transports anymore. I don't know if you've already tried that or not, but it worked in the FF mod.. I.e. most units, except the "army" units (which are actually regular units that are almost equivalent to an army) are flagged with the "foot unit" flag, but the Airships (which are actually land units with certain air-unit abilities and the airdrop ability) are flagged with the "Tacticle Missile" flag, and the transports have no flag, but armies are flagged as "transports foot units only" and the transport ships have no flag.

That way, I can load all units BUT Airships (which are extremely powerful SW-generated units) and the "Army" units into Armies, and I can load Armies, "Army" units and all other regular units, but NOT Airships into the transports... The "tacticle missile" flag has NO effect on how the unit plays in game (i.e. it doesn't make the unit self-destruct on attack like the "Cruise Missile" or "Nuclear Weapon" flags do)....

A final idea would be one that I'm working on incorporating into my own Napoleonic wars: reloded scenario: Have pre-placed wonders in the capitols of different nations that auto-produce certain units for that nation, or whoever controls that city... I.e. say there's a wonder in Canberra that auto-produces Australian Riflemen and the Dutch take Canberra, now they, too, can get a small amount of Aussie Riflemen, or have a wonder in Oslo that produces Norwegian Infantry... That way you can kind of get the effect of having "vassal states"....

...But that's up to you, of course.

don't have the files on the pc i'm at right now but it isn't much in terms of total file size. there's another option, too. you could go into the Spanish Cav file and the German Infantry file and fix the ini. the DL is just a fix. i mean, it is quite easy to do manually :D

I was going to say, I think I have both those files in my sig.

Yeah, I just got bit by the German WWI Inf bug last turn... It would seem that the game engine doesn't like the "ä" in "Kaiserjäger", so I just changed the animation names and the INI file to Kaiserjaeger....

Mr. Taniciusfox told me I should contribute my idea for a UU Hispanola unit, voodoo zombie. ;)

i'm not too keen on giving release dates but i would imagine that it may coincide (+/-) w/ the end of the Justo Strawberry Harvest :) for those familiar w/ that delicious berry and its growing cycle in the Mid Atlantic region of the US :p

interesting remarks all; thanks for sharing. i can flat-out guarantee that the British position is and will be a difficult civ to play with...i mean, on the higher difficulty levels that is. playing at the mid to lower ones, it's not fair. but at the higher end, it is a definite barn-burner :)

re army units - i'm not a real big fan of them for civ, mainly b/c they're a real gamebreaker imho. in the past, the human has had a tremendous advantage with them and can go on a real steamrolling expedition w/ one of them. of course, this also could apply to the AI as well assuming it handles the specs for them in at least a semi-productive manner (as of late, this has been the case). in addition, i'm hesitant to have them spawned from a SW; instead, they're available through the GL spawns and elite unit victories only. anyhow, we did indeed employ a system much like Hikaro posted above where we limited which units could actually go into the army units. for v4.0, it's just infantry units (regular & colonial types only, no special forces types nor cav). furthermore, we limited the capacity for the armies to 1 and ramped up the HPs to simulate 3 divisons (i think it's 3); this was done to even out the playing field some b/c the AI sometimes doesn't fill up their army units to capacity. not anymore. they get one unit in it and it gets that HP bonus. now, this format is one i copied over from TCW 50s and i was so damn pleased w/ it, i saw no way to leave it out of the new AoI. i mean, we saw some real wicked AI use of the armies...and since it was successful, i saw no other way to go for the broken armies in AoI v3.0. so the bottom line is that armies will be fixed for v4.0 and they'll play a larger role in combat for sure.

the "vassal states" idea is one we played with before...i think we employed it for TCW 50s; however, it didn't make it into AoI. this is probably b/c the units in question are actually buildable and not spawned. and the spawned units in AoI are primarily the special force type units like Chasseur Alpin, USMCs, Scottish Highlanders, German and Austrian Sturmtruppens, and Italian Berseglieris.

re the Kaiserjager thing - yes! that was it! it's been so long since i looked at that old error. and indeed, that was the case iirc.

@Auralia
better hope that any Haitians or Dominicans on the boards here don't put a hex on you! :p

In the U.S. strawberries typically peak during April in Florida and Texas, May in the deep South, and in early June in middle sections and later June in the far North and Canada. Crops are ready at various times of the month depending on which part of the state you are located. In order to produce good local strawberries, producers depend on ideal spring weather conditions.

Just for everyones info :)

Cant wait El J, keep up the great work!

Your awesome.

i'm not too keen on giving release dates but i would imagine that it may coincide (+/-) w/ the end of the Justo Strawberry Harvest :) for those familiar w/ that delicious berry and its growing cycle in the Mid Atlantic region of the US :p

You're lucky... The only thing in my garden that's ready for harvest is Garlic greens (yes, you CAN use garlic leaves like scallions for flavoring soup and stuff)... The rest of my stuff is only just coming up....

re army units - i'm not a real big fan of them for civ, mainly b/c they're a real gamebreaker imho. in the past, the human has had a tremendous advantage with them and can go on a real steamrolling expedition w/ one of them. of course, this also could apply to the AI as well assuming it handles the specs for them in at least a semi-productive manner (as of late, this has been the case). in addition, i'm hesitant to have them spawned from a SW; instead, they're available through the GL spawns and elite unit victories only.

What do you mean by GL spawns... Are you talking about making the Army a replacement for the Scientific Great Leader as well? :confused:

anyhow, we did indeed employ a system much like Hikaro posted above where we limited which units could actually go into the army units. for v4.0, it's just infantry units (regular & colonial types only, no special forces types nor cav). furthermore, we limited the capacity for the armies to 1 and ramped up the HPs to simulate 3 divisons (i think it's 3); this was done to even out the playing field some b/c the AI sometimes doesn't fill up their army units to capacity. not anymore. they get one unit in it and it gets that HP bonus. now, this format is one i copied over from TCW 50s and i was so damn pleased w/ it, i saw no way to leave it out of the new AoI. i mean, we saw some real wicked AI use of the armies...and since it was successful, i saw no other way to go for the broken armies in AoI v3.0. so the bottom line is that armies will be fixed for v4.0 and they'll play a larger role in combat for sure.

That sounds like the armies in v4.0 will only be good for defense (mind you, if I'd have had one of those armies with a Boer Rifleman in it, it could have probably single-handedly defeated all of those British Colonial Cavalry SoDs in my Arabian campaign....).

Another idea for "armies" that might appeal to you is something I incorporated into the Final Fantasy mod: "Army" super-units... I.e. regular units, that are only available through SW spawns that are about equivalent to an army.

For example: Evil factions in the FF mod can build a "Great Horde" SW that generates a "Barbarian Horde" unit (uses Kinboat's Golden Horde unit graphics... the others are also mUnits) every 15 turns.

The Stats for the "Barbarian Horde" are as follows: 25 attack, 25 defense, 3 movement, blitz and Zone of Control with a +5 HP bonus... I.e. roughly equivalent to a FULL 3-4 unit army.... And believe me, the AI DOES use them effectively....

As a matter of fact, I had to set up my armies so these "army" units couldn't be added after one playtest game (I may have a save somewhere or a screen shot to prove it if you don't believe me) where one Evil AI faction loaded THREE of these Barbarian Horde units INTO AN ARMY!!! That's right, they had a 25/25/4/30+HP army of DOOM that I lost at least one army of my own and almost a dozen of my most powerful units to!

...Anyways, using such "army" units, you could have, say, a Riding School or something that produces Cavalry Divisions (you could use one of the various Cavalry mUnits out there) every 40 turns or so.

Also, I don't know if you're aware of this, but you can actually assign Bombardment strength and range to an army (maybe to simulate artillery support?).... Just something to keep in mind.

re the Kaiserjager thing - yes! that was it! it's been so long since i looked at that old error. and indeed, that was the case iirc.

Glad I could help....

@Auralia
better hope that any Haitians or Dominicans on the boards here don't put a hex on you! :p

You guys are messed up! :lol:

Top Bottom