HBO Game of Thrones, Season 2

Winner

Diverse in Unity
So, let's start a new thread, the other one has admittedly gone totally OT by now :)

This thread should be mainly about the TV series, so please no nasty spoilers in case someone who hasn't read the books (yet) reads this.

---

Some photos I've found on TV.com:

Davos Seaworth:

Melissandre of Asshai and Stannis (Mel looks awesome, Stannis is... different from how I imagine he looks, but we'll see):

Renly:

Robb Stark (is it just me, or are they really throwing the fangirls a bone there?):

Theon @#$%$:

Balon Greyjoy:

...and the best for last...

...wait for it...

... Brienne, her name is Brienne! (They really made her look right, woot. I was afraid they'd just make her Hollywood-ugly, i.e. hottie with a scar, glasses, or a little dirt on her face. This wench actually really looks properly ugly!):

I'm dissapointed in Stannis :(
I imagined him more robust... broader shoulders, broader face and more hair...

Balon looks how I imagined his brother with shorter hair
Spoiler :
the priest

Renly looks sorta right to me
I'm not sure about Robb
and I love what they did with Brienne :D

Yeah, Stannis doesn't look as hard and grim as he's depicted in the books. But maybe it's just a weird angle on the photo, we'll see how it looks on screen. (Wait, more hair? Isn't he basically bald?) But Mel really looks very much as I picture her in my mind.

Theon looks like the scumbag he is, but in the TV version they made his character more problematic from the start (I know they have to somehow tell the audience what the characters in the books leave unsaid, thus the insults about him being a "ward" of the Starks). Personally, I didn't see it coming (his increased scumbaginess, you know what I am talking about) when I read the books.

As for Robb, I am under impression they made him rather handsome, at least judging from the ladies' reactions. Not that I can tell, women are crazy ;)

Brienne looks just great. I can't wait for her dialogues with *youknowwho*, but that's likely beyond the scope of Season 2.

Oh, and I could actually believe Arya was a boy if she looked like that :)

Stannis, bald? hmm could be that I failed to register that :p
This hair might have worked if the rest of his body would have been more robust.... but now.. meh..

But I agree with your stance on Arya and Theon :p

I should watch season 1 some time :mischief:

somehow it feels wrong that I'm so happy Brienne is suitably ugly

Stannis, bald? hmm could be that I failed to register that :p
This hair might have worked if the rest of his body would have been more robust.... but now.. meh..

Yeah, I think it's mentioned a few times. In ADwD too, iirc.

I should watch season 1 some time :mischief:

I still have to watch the last episode. I am saving it for later :lol:

When will the first episode be televised, does anyone know? I want to re-watch season 1 right before this happens.

April, I think.

somehow it feels wrong that I'm so happy Brienne is suitably ugly

:D I am happy because people need to internalize the idea of her ugliness. In most fanart I've seen she is either "normal looking" or even moderately attractive, but that goes against the appearance GRRM is trying to establish so painfully. "She really *is* ugly, sorry guys, but it's true. Here, I'll repeat the description of her in another chapter, and again, and again, until you finally get it!" The only beautiful thing about her are supposedly her eyes.

Spoiler don't read this unless you've read the first 4 books :
Let's hope her children will take after Jaime :lol:

GRRM is thus trolling all the fantasy fangirls who dream of being Amazon warrior princesses. Sorry girls, but if you want to fight like a man, your bodies will end up looking pretty manly in the end... :mischief:

Yeah, I think it's mentioned a few times. In ADwD too, iirc.

ah, well I'm at AFfC since ADwD isn't out in the paperback/pocket edition yet :(

Spoiler don't read this unless you've read the first 4 books :
Let's hope her children will take after Jaime :lol:

Make that first 5 books [pissed] or I have missed an entire chapter.........

ah, well I'm at AFfC since ADwD isn't out in the paperback/pocket edition yet :(

Just google pictures of Stannis. Most show him bald, so it's not just my wrong memory (I hope :D ).

Make that first 5 books [pissed] or I have missed an entire chapter.........

Don't worry, I was just kidding. There was no suggestion anything like that might be forthcoming, I was only commenting on the general dynamic between the two characters (plus, I am obviously a repressed romantic at heart :lol: ).

Really not too happy about Stannis atm. Bald or no, he doesn't exactly look like someone with an iron resolve. Rather "like a bank clerk with a gastric ulcer", as someone said on another board.

But Dillane is supposedly a great actor and rest of the casting deserves only highest praise so far... so I am prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

EDIT: At first when I saw the announcements, I thought the guy cast for Davos would make great Stannis and vice versa. Still do, actually!

stannis I don't mind. I guess I had high expectations for Davos, being my second favorite ASOIF character.

Don't worry, I was just kidding. There was no suggestion anything like that might be forthcoming, I was only commenting on the general dynamic between the two characters (plus, I am obviously a repressed romantic at heart :lol: ).

hmpf... Don't do that again :thumbsdown: :p

But I agree, it is certainly the general dynamic between the two...

hmpf... Don't do that again :thumbsdown: :p

But I agree, it is certainly the general dynamic between the two...

:lol:
I love throwing fake spoilers at people. A friend of mine had just started to read A Clash of Kings and I asked him 'How far into the book are you ?
Spoiler :
Is Tyrion dead yet ?"

On the pics: Quite unhappy with Stannis, but it's the performance that counts. I was also very sceptical about Sean Bean (Eddard Stark doesn't look like that!), Mark Addy (Robert doesn't look like that!) and many others.

Agree about Stannis. Imagined him to be older (looking), balder, broader. I hope at least the acting matches up.

Brienne is promising, though. And Season 1 casting really paid off, especially Maisie Williams.

What do you think about Natalie Dormer as Margaery Tyrell?

I'm not really sure what to expect from her, because I only know her as the seductive Anne Boleyn from The Tudors, which is kind of opposite to Margaery's (apparent) sweet character.

I'm not really sure what to expect from her, because I only know her as the seductive Anne Boleyn from The Tudors, which is kind of opposite to Margaery's (apparent) sweet character.

Sweet? I wouldn't call Margaery sweet... I think she is at least as cunning as her grandmother.
But I do think she looks the type. This is how I imagined her, more or less.

She played a good Anna Boleyn so she is either a good actress or she is like that. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say she's a good actress. I think she'll play a good Margaery.

I thought WTF ?! She's much too old. Margaery is supposed to be 16. I suspect the character underwent some considerable changes for the series and she'll come across as less of a naive child and more of a political player: A less evil, smarter and only slightly younger Cerse.

Top Bottom