new unit: Mini Mumakil (25th of january, 2011)

ruby_sauce

Outside the box
a mumakil, from the Lord of the Rings

unit is game tested

previews:

RUN AT BETTER SPEEDS INGAME:
(default - fortify - attack A - attack B - victory - fortify - attack B - death - run)

well, this is my first mounted unit. And first archer unit. And first javelineer unit. And first "elephant" unit :p I hope the death looks good enough O.o

anyway, this was very difficult to make, had to animate the mumakil and the humans each animation seperatly.

Also, thanks to Takhisis ALOT for the tusk props! They were quite needed to make it look more like a mumakil :p

The model isnt THAT accurate, its more like a mini mumakil... but it looks good enough for me!

this unit won unit of the month january 2011! Thanks all who voted for me!

Thanks even more! my first unit to ever win a monthly competition also won the yearly competition! Thank you all!

enjoy!

download HERE

Last edited:
They don't look like Mumakil from the movies, but I like them :goodjob:

I know they dont look much like them, but there wasnt a model anywhere that I found useful, so I just went with this mini version :D

Wow, very nice.
Have you considered making a javelineer on foot?

Still, maybe it'd look better larger… looks a bit small in the preview (maybe it's just the huge frame) have you tested it ingame?
Also, thanks to Takhisis ALOT for the tusk props! They were quite needed to make it look more like a mumakil :p
:hatsoff: Glad to help.
Imo (and i know next to nothing about Lotr) this doesn't look like the elephant from the battle scene in the movie.
Peter Jackson's films are an abomination. They should never have happened.

Still, maybe it'd look better larger… looks a bit small in the preview (maybe it's just the huge frame) have you tested it ingame?

well, I couldnt make it that much bigger, or the animations would go off the frame. The people on it are approximatly 70% smaller than regular units I believe. Its quite big anyway on a tile.

and yea, its tested ingame :p

Eh, renamed the topic title to "mini" mumakil then :p makes maybe more sense :D

I know they dont look much like them, but there wasnt a model anywhere that I found useful, so I just went with this mini version :D
Perhaps, but your unit is closer to how I imagined them from the book. And they are close to the illustration from Alan Lee in my edition of the Lord the Rings (they actually look like elephants, but a little bigger).

There are some very nice things I haven't seen in other "elephant" units. The subtle sway of the howdah in the run animation as one example. What looks to me like a final attempt at defense in the beginning of the death is another.

I agree with Ares de Borg that any more elephant units created by you would be valuable additions to the community's collection.

This is perfect for a certain Final-Fantasy crossover scenario that I'm planning on releasing when I finish up the main Final Fantasy mod. :D

Crossover? Sauron v. Godzilla, barkeep!

Well, I like it because of the fact that it doesn't look like the movie giant evil elephant, not despite of it.

This looks excellent - I know how hard it is to animate that model well, so I can appreciate what you've done here. This is a great-looking unit.

Peter Jackson's films are an abomination. They should never have happened.

That's so wrong it makes my brain hurt - but we're not going to discuss it here!

Well, I like it because of the fact that it doesn't look like the movie giant evil elephant, not despite of it.

I concur. It's versatile. :)

Here's the thing about the Peter Jackson movies- they're just the way one group of people imagined it. I hate when people think the Peter Jackson visuals are the be all and end all. If a different group of people had made the movies, they would have been completely different.

Spoiler :
If Goldflash had made the films, he would have removed the elves, the hobbits, the wizards, Sauron, Aragorn, and the Ring. It would have been The Dwarfs Dwarfish Dwarf Quest for the Golden Beard of Beardfist McFistbeard and would have been awesome.

Top Bottom