[UnitParts]CIV4-Heads

Chalid

Black Dragon
I plan to release all heads of CIV4 Units as sepereate meshes. This will allow unit creators to combine existing bodys with a wide range of different heads. The heads come without textures as they use the textures of their respective units.

How to combine the heads with the bodys can be learnt in Rabbit, Whites Nif-Viewer-Tutorial: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=163585

Known Issues: Non of the heads features teamcolor or gloss. Due to the method used to extract the heads some triangles that were former two-sided have now texture only on one side and are invisible from the other. If you come across such a thing just tell me and i can fix it.

This first release (heads1.zip) features the heads of:
Archer
Axeman
Buddist Missonary
Camelarcher
Chokunu
Christian Missionary

The second release (heads2.zip) features:
conquistasor
crossbowman
egypt warrchariot (2 heads)
explorer
greatengineer (modern)
great mechant (2 versions)
great artist (2 versions)
great prophet
great scientist (2 versions)
greekphalanx
swordsman (includes two extra meshes: the shoulderpats)
warrior

The third release (heads3.zip) includes:
companion cavalary
gernadier
hindu_missionary
horsearcher
hypaspist
indan fastworker
infantry
islamic_missionary
samurai
knight
knightstemplar

the forth (small) release (heads4.zip) features:
mali_skirmisher
incan_quechua
engineer (new)

the last release (heads5.zip) contains:
longbowman
maceman
machinegunner
modern artist
modern merchant
modern scientist
mongol keshik
musketeer
musketman
mavyseal
persian immortal
pikeman
praetorian
redcoat
rifleman
russian cossak
scout
settler (3)
spearman
spy
taoist missionary
worker

This should be nearly all heads. Note that some models could not be imported into blender so some heads will be missing.

Attachments

• heads1.zip
    16.5 KB · Views: 422
  • heads2.zip
    43.5 KB · Views: 427
  • heads3.zip
    34.2 KB · Views: 408
  • heads5.zip
    78.2 KB · Views: 387
  • heads4.zip
    8.4 KB · Views: 387
Indeed, this will be very useful, I can already think of couple of uses for Ethnically Correct units. :)

This will be amazing :eek: , i definitely need the warriors head! thank you very very much for that chalid, this will help us 1000times, now we can do new cavalry and ranged units easily. (i hope the meshes are ONLY the heads, not the heads with a transparent or scaled down body... i mention this, cause i didnt hear of a method or program to take meshes from the original units...)

seZereth said:
This will be amazing :eek: , i definitely need the warriors head! thank you very very much for that chalid, this will help us 1000times, now we can do new cavalry and ranged units easily. (i hope the meshes are ONLY the heads, not the heads with a transparent or scaled down body... i mention this, cause i didnt hear of a method or program to take meshes from the original units...)
I'm guessing he's importing them to blender and then exporting back. As I understand it the bones get very much messed up when importing into blender but since the head has a very simple bone setup it's probably the easiet to export back without any problems.

Jeap exacly. I'm importing the Units into Blender and cutting all unneeded information. As far as i can see the bones are even present, but they are handled differently than in 3dsmax and i haven't been successfull up to date in exporting an entire units back into 3dsMax (the animations would get lost anyway, but as we know they are pretty much independent of the mesh/bones)

The Warriors Head will unfortunatley be the last one as i do them alphabetically, but maybe i can make an exception. :)

EDIT: The bones are no longer present in the head as i cut them too. Just to clarify.

Chalid said:
Jeap exacly. I'm importing the Units into Blender and cutting all unneeded information. As far as i can see the bones are even present, but they are handled differently than in 3dsmax and i haven't been successfull up to date in exporting an entire units back into 3dsMax (the animations would get lost anyway, but as we know they are pretty much independent of the mesh/bones)

The Warriors Head will unfortunatley be the last one as i do them alphabetically, but maybe i can make an exception. :)
This exception would be very very welcome ;) but take your time i am glad you do this at all! another small task would be if you come to the swordsman, please take off his shoulderplates and release them as seperate mesh!!!! that would give me the low poly shoulder plates i allways looked for!!! yeehaa ;) (dont want to start a requesting flood on you with this, but i was looking for those really long time now)

Anyway, dont know how long it takes, but before sunday or monday i wont come down to do anything modding related... so no hurry ;)

EDIT: bones are not neccessary, as the head will replace an existing head anyway ;) i am looking forward to the samurai, and great thanks for the chokuno head!
P.S. with this technique, it would be possible to improvise a unit riding on a rescaled horse with a replaced wolf or bear head.. but that is future stuff ;)

Chalid said:
13 new heads have arrived
Is that the one about the two canibals? :lol:

Awesome Chalid, I'm glad the greek phalanx is here. Keep 'em coming. :goodjob:

you are my king man, this is the most awesome bits i could imagine, now i cant wait to get back to modding!! !!!

Nice work, I can see plenty of uses for these.

I did come across a small texture error. On the Camel Archer head, the feathers can't be seen from behind.

There seems to be something wrong with the swordmans head. It won't stay fixed in it's position, but rolling in any direction. I experienced something similar with the great artists skull before. Any idea why this happens?

Attachments

• swordsman.zip
    32.7 KB · Views: 311
Ploeperpengel said:
There seems to be something wrong with the swordmans head. It won't stay fixed in it's position, but rolling in any direction. I experienced something similar with the great artists skull before. Any idea why this happens?

I have a similar problem with a custom mace model made by me on the warrior model, and i really don't know why ???

Hmm, clarify something for me guys. When you work in NIF viewer the model behaves appropriately, i.e. you attach it to the head (or hand in the case of mace) bone and as you rotate it to align it with the rest of the body it properly rotates around the pivot point which is where you expect to be. However, when in game it suddenly starts "dancing", is this right?

Also, the in-game strange behaviour, does it look like it's tied to animation or to camera movement? And if it's tied to animation, does it look like it's doing the proper animations but because the pivot is off somehow the head is moving strangely (an example of that would be if the head was some distance in front of where it's suppose to be and as the model does "head turn" animation the head kinda orbits the neck/original position)? Or does the head seem to be turning completely randomly?

:confused: I had no trouble putting warrior head on templar knight, swordsman's head was also fine.

Top Bottom