European Cuirassiers Part 1

bernie14

Filter Manipulator
these are the german, spanish, russian and the fixed french (different horse.dds)....

DOWNLOAD

i have the brits and dutch in the works....if anyone has any requests with some good art for others, don't have to be european, let me know....

i have to thank Sezereth and danrell since after studying some of their fine work, i learned how to add gloss to "non-glossed" dds.

Hey Bernie... this is excellent work... in regards to the Germans and timeline, however, I have a bit of a question/request.

You previously released the rather excellent German Hussar:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=222760

Napoleonic-age Prussian Hussar

Now with this release of the German "Cuirassier", the look and time-line of the two units seems backwards.

The helmet and uniform of the German Cuirassier is the one from the late 19th century rifles (1870 to be exact) and the Death's Head Hussar to the earlier Napoleonic Musket Cuirassier timeframe.

1870 Prussian Cuirassier

Yet, the rifles you have on the two units (not to mention the name "German Cuirassier) seems switched.

In a nutshell, I'd like to (and will) use your "Deaths Head Hussar" for the German Cuirassier spot (Napoleonic), while I'll use this new "German Cuirassier" as the German Cavalry (the cool helmet really belongs in the late 1800s).

Only problem is... the guns are reversed (the Hussar as-released has a rifle and the spikey-helmeted German horseman has a musket). Any chance I could get you to switch the guns on these two units of yours? If not public, at least PM me a secret link or something?

Request in-short... perhaps offer an "either-or" choice... same Hussar and Cuirassier... but offer one of each with rifle or musket, or simply reverse them (Hussar with Musket and 1870 Cuirassier with Rifle).

Thanks... great work, once again Bernie. I really love the work you did here.

bernie, it's once more top quality work!:goodjob:

i have to thank Sezereth and danrell since after studying some of their fine work, i learned how to add gloss to "non-glossed" dds.

Care to share it?;)

Thanks for the units!!!

thanks all...

@ Wolfshanze, u r right, i faced the same dilema :( , and considered using the "russian" style on the german, just because the picklehaub was not used until the late 19th century, in any case, the change in firearms was simple enough and attached to this thread :D i only included the nif and required
dds(s) just put the files in the approrpiate folder and rename the nif :goodjob:

@avian, simply speaking, I put a sword in their heads! :eek: , aside from learning 99% of what i know from Rabbit,W's great nif tutorials, in the nif viewer, u will see the "node" and "mesh" things. i use the knight sword because it is "stable". i tried using the spear of the spearman, but it would mess up (i think because of some "fx" factor), also, a "body" don't work (nif viewer crash upon save) but the knight sword seems to work great :) . if u "bone" the corresponding "environmental light" (to NiNode, i think, :confused: just tranfer it from where it is to the "node" of your new nif, in the same way u would bone a body joint), then, "bone" the knight sword NODE (including the mesh) to the NODE that u want to have gloss, then put the meshes that u want to be glossed IN the knight sword NODE! scale/rotate the meshes and voila!....:goodjob: look at the heads of the cuirassiers for an example...

Attachments

• germanC&C.zip
    293.4 KB · Views: 107
@ Wolfshanze, u r right, i faced the same dilema, and considered using the "russian" style on the german, just because the picklehaub was not used until the late 19th century, in any case, the change in firearms was simple enough and attached to this thread. i only included the nif and required dds(s) just put the files in the approrpiate folder and rename the nif :goodjob:
Thanks Bernie, I already swapped out the files and checked them in-game... exactly what I wanted/hoped-for. You're super-cool in my book, no matter what everyone else* around here says about you! :crazyeye:

*Just kidding.

Anyways, that handles the Germans... I'm happy with having Hussars (with muskets) as a "unique unit" to replace the Cuirassier for Germany, and the picklehaub-topped German (with Rifle) as a replacement for that super-stupid American Custer-like Cavalry unit...

Well that handles the Germans... now I got to figure-out how to replace General Custer with all the other European powers and their "Cavalry" units.

In my mind, the Cuirassier should be just about any Musket-bearing Cavalry from the Reniassance to the early 1800s... while the "Cavalry" unit should be from the Rifle-age, probably homing-in during the 1860-1890 timeframe. American Civil War, Franco-Prussian War, Zulu Wars... etc, etc. Maybe someone should stick Matt's Colonial Rifleman on a horse (redcoat and white pith-hat), for England's Cavalry!?!?!

Personally, the in-game default Cuirassiers aren't bad... it's that stupid Yankee Ulysses Grant wanna-be Cavalry being forced on the rest of the world that drives me nuts. That default Cavalry is fine for America, but sticks-out like a sore thumb for every other nation in Civ4.

@avian, simply speaking, I put a sword in their heads! :eek:
That's gotta hurt!!! :D
Thank you for the detailed tutorial! There are steps I still need to decipher (I'll be good 'till Xmas, so no worries:lol: ), but seems very clever!

Again, keep up the excellent work, and I eagerly await your new units! :goodjob:

Man, I hate it when we have a fantastic unit like this spanish cuirassier and then we have the conquistador unique unit that replaces the cuirassier ...
Well, maybe Bernie can stick a rifle in his hand and we can use him as Cavalry.

aren't these units dragoons, rather than cuirassiers?
The whole class should probably be renamed... Cuirassier was a very European thing... not too many nations outside Europe used this class of units.

You know what would be really sweet Bernie?

A German "Explorer" unit with a spiked helmet! Tired of every dang explorer in the game looking like Hernando Cortez.

Unless I'm mistaken, the only custom Explorer unit I've seen made is for Africa... I haven't seen any others, and it's high-time we see some custom Explorer units, starting with some Euro-Civs.

Top Bottom