New Unit MKIV Tank

Kinboat

Conan the Librarian
Here's the British MKIV Tank, from the WWI time period. Some were captured and used by the Germans, and some were sent to the Russian Army... After the war many countries bought a few and used them or designed new versions so this could be used for a universal early tank.

I'm planning to make the French Renault FT17, German AV7, and American FORD1918... I'm also considering a Russian Armored Car...

Enjoy

Look down a few posts and you'll find the Icons I forgot to add to this zip :) Sorry my mind is slipping.

Attachments

• mkiv.zip
    482.1 KB · Views: 1,891
A preview...

Attachments

• mkiv.gif
    mkiv.gif
    21.6 KB · Views: 5,136
Good job Kinboat :goodjob:

Not only does the unit look good it fills a useful slot...early tanks.

I am hoping to eventually be able to do "Civ3 on Earth" with more transition from period to another. E.G early forms or armour were not capable of blitzing across Europe, but gave a great advantage in controlling an area an in breaking through at a certain point.

K i did a quick civilopedia text of the MKIV tank It should work i have no idea why it wouldn't but here it is just add it to ../civilization III/text/civilopedia or whatever your folder is
then "find" Tank and paste this into the civilopedia text before the tank civilopedia or wherever you want then just add #PRTO_MKIV to you .Bic folder also you will want a pediaicon which i will work on.

here it is...

#PRTO_MKIV
^
^
^[MKIV] tanks are slow-moving defensive units that have same about same attack capabilites of cavalry
but only one movement. Also the MKIV has a higher defensive value than most units of its time.
^
^A city must have both $LINK<oil=GOOD_Oil> in its $LINK<Strategic
Resource=GCON_ResourcesS> box to build MKIV tanks.
#DESC_PRTO_MKIV
^
^
^The concept of armor protection dates from antiquity. By the 5th century BC Greek warriors, and sometimes their horses, wore armor. Florentine artist and scientist Leonardo da Vinci designed a crank-operated covered chariot in 1482, but development of an effective, track-laying armored vehicle was only possible after the invention of the internal-combustion engine.

During World War I (1914-1918) the British developed and used the first armored track-laying vehicles. To maintain secrecy, the vehicles were shipped to the battle zone in crates marked "tanks," hence the origin of the name. The first battle in which these tanks were employed was the Battle of the Somme, on September 15, 1916, when the British used forty-nine tanks
with disappointing results. Little more than a year later, however, in November 1917, 400 British tanks penetrated German lines near Cambrai, capturing 8000 of the enemy and 100 guns. Thus starting the evolution of what was to be the modern tank.

I'm sorry I usually make the pedia icons (even though I don't create entries) Give me a few moments and I'll post the images here... it just slipped my mind. By the way... great work on the civilopedia entry.

Here are the Icons I forgot to add to the first zip...

Attachments

• mkiv_pediaicons.zip
    9 KB · Views: 498
:goodjob: Well done, Kinboat - nice looking tank!

Correction to Incubus:
tanks are slow-moving defensive units that have same about same attack capabilites of cavalry

The Tank was invented to make possible an attack across no-man's-land without the extremely high number of causualties typical of all-infantry attacks of WWI (a response to the machinegun). Indeed the length of the British "Tank" was result of a demand for ditch-crossing cabability - so that the Tank would be able to pass the first and, maybe, the second line of defence, and break out into the open behind enemy lines...thus the Tank was (maybe even more so then, than today) a weapon for the offense - and certainly not a defensive unit...;)

Originally posted by Kinboat
A preview...

The only time saw that tank was in a movie : Indiana Jones
:rolleyes: :D

While they were made to cross the trenches I believe you could still call them defensive... They're basicly moving pillboxes, designed to protect the people they send across no-mans land... in fact the Mark V was lengthened to provide room for troops, an Armor personal carrier. And they were extremely slow moving :) 4 mph top speed for the Mark IV... and it's all semantics really as it mentions that it has the same attack capabilities as the Cavalry (which I suggested in the readme)... I'd make it a slow moving Cavalry with better defense, but not as good as the infantry... something inbetween the two... It is the same one as in the movie? I don't remember what it looks like :)

Well....a WWI Tank would not be very useful in the defensive role because of it's slow speed and poor manuevrebility - it would be easily overrun and disabled or bypassed by an attacking enemy - I suggest the stats be A:8, D:6

But nevermind.....I'm happy U chose to make the MKIV and it's a nice looking unit. Maybe U could make a good "step-by-step" manual on how YOU make your units..(?) The are always very well done, and I am very keen to give a it go myself. As a webdesigner I normally work with Photoshop - which application do U use to make your artwork?
I still hope I can persuade U to do the Lancia IZM armoured car as it is about the only successful vehicle made by the Italians during WWI.....;)

k lets not start a vicious fight, but i just made the civilopedia from what kinboat readme said and afterall both of us i believe just did a quick of both things

if you want to change the text go ahead i won't be offended

If you go here I've listed a few of the steps I use in making a unit... I don't really go into designing the actually model in 3D, but I do go through a few other tips on how to turn a completed model into a civ3 unit... http://angstadt.virtualave.net/HowTo.htm

And I was actually thinking of making a Russian Armored Car, although the Lancia IZM looks enough like a few other countries models that it might work as universal unit...

And I wasn't considering the MKIV as a defensive unit that you fortify in your cities :) I was just 'defending' the use of the word defensive :) in the civilopedia... it's the stats that matter, and what you've suggested is about what I'd make it... So let's stop the Fuedin' and a' Fussin' :)

Yes of course - just a friendly discussion - I hope, but not a word more said (and I certaintly do not want to antagonize my main unit supplier :D ).

Yes, go for the Lanzia!!! ;)

Great if U could supply a few directions, somewhere along the line, concerning the use of "your" 3-D application - I'm stressed for time, and it takes forever to get to know a new programme...:(

Anyway looking forward to see the FT17 (that's right - we never get enough :lol: )

Wow... you really seem to like my tanks Pablostuka... you've made previews for all of them :)

Awesome unit, Kinboat. I've been playing a game with them in use. I've got about 30 Mk IV's kicking about the Roman territory now.

I've done something interesting with my tanks, I have tagged them all as wheeled, which means they can't go into Jungle or Mountain tiles unless there are roads present. It makes things interesting because units can retreat into those tiles and you have to find some infantry or cavalry to rout them out. I think it adds a bit of realism.

But, I digress. Love the tank, Kinboat. Keep up the awesome units!

Top Bottom