Building Graphics: Sewer

Ukas

Pthooey of Tomainia
Here's an improvement for you sanitary technicians out there!
Sewer, done by Kal-el's request.

I think can be used to raise city level. But, as always your imagination is the limit how the building can be used. Oh yes, and restrictions in civedit are another limiting factor.

It was bit difficult to decide how to make the icon so I tried this: stonewall strenghened riverbank with two sewer pipe outings, pouring icky stuff to a river.

This is how it looks:

Get the file from here:

Attachments

• sewer.zip
    26.2 KB · Views: 985
nice.

Anyone knows when the first sewer systems were set up?

My memory said something about Cloaca Maxima, the sewer system of Rome (literal translation being "the great sewer") being built somewhere around 600 B.C, but a link I came up says following:

The first signs of plumbing date back as far as 8000 B.C. in Scotland, where indoor plumbing troughs that carried water and wastes out to a nearby creek have recently been discovered. But, the granddaddy of all city sewers is in Rome -the "Cloaca Maxima"- started in 735 B.C. and not finished until 225 years later.
Source: http://www.links.net/share/mileage/2002-proposals/mattp.html

Anyway, great building. :)

Originally posted by Ukas
In Rome during ancient times. I have this book which says it but nothing more specific.
In that case, would it be possible to make it era specific?

Originally posted by Kal-el
thanks Ukas.

of course Roman sewers just ran into the streets. very nasty.

Actually the Cloaca Maxima went into the Tiber river. Of course that leaves quite a bunch of other cities that I don't know about !

Sewers! Nice! :goodjob: Looks great Ukas, I especially enjoy the slime trail coming out of the pipes. I've already downloaded it and all, but how would one use a sewer in Civ3? I mean, I've looked over every option in the editor, and there is none that comes to mind that would work with this. Does anybody out there know what a sewer could do? :confused:

(Oh yeah, stick with the mutant fish idea, it's a good one ;))

@xghost: In DyP we use it in place of the Hospitals to allow movement to the next city level. It is meant to represent the improved underground piping that was seen put in place during the 19th century. Hospitals have been switched to give a slight increase in production to represent a healthier, and therefore more productive, workforce.

@Loulong: I am specifically thinking of Pompeii. When I was there the tour guide told us that the sewage ran into the streets which explained why there were cross walks of raised stone that allowed people to cross the street without dragging their togas in the refuse.

I don't know how accurate her statement was, as it seems totally disgusting to think that the streets would have rivers of excrement flowing in the gutters. But who knows, maybe somebody else has somoe more information.

Oh wait, just thought of something to do with the sewers. Since they were around in Roman times and all, I'm gonna make them a prequesite building to the aqueduct. I finally got my mind back in gear!

Top Bottom