The Deity Challenge Line-up #31 - Ottomans

Here turn 130 navigation and 10 galleases ready (not enough gold yet though, map is a bit poor). 6 Liberty 2 Exploration 1 Rationalism.

Wow :) .. (will check my turn 130 LP and weep)
Spoiler :

.. Still one of the problems with this map is that it takes 10+ turns to move galleas from one coast to the other (less since you've got exploration already).. .And it will be expensive to upgrade all those (and future captures) without honor .. And you have no(?) melee ships to capture enemy ships .. Particular to this civ 1 trireme/caravel could easily end up capturing 4+ galleas so it pays to have at least 2-3 melee ships..

And the rationalism policy might be a bit wasted ... This map is doable with industrial era tech .. Rationalism will of course get the military techs faster - but you can definitely cut science completely once you get ironclad, rifles & artillery and the rationalism policies will be dead weight from that point on ..

I have 2 caravels. And galleas are already on their way to spain side. Upgrading wasn't an issue because as always as long as you have gpt you can borrow. I've continued that game a bit and every coast capital is down around T180. I have also Dublin and artilleries are slowly moving toward the 2 last capitals.

Continuing Exploration is a bigger waste than rationalism and it's too late to start honor.

I have 2 caravels. And galleas are already on their way to spain side. Upgrading wasn't an issue because as always as long as you have gpt you can borrow. I've continued that game a bit and every coast capital is down around T180. I have also Dublin and artilleries are slowly moving toward the 2 last capitals.

Continuing Exploration is a bigger waste than rationalism and it's too late to start honor.

Amazing .

I did not suggest continuing exploration ..

update on my progress T219

Spoiler :

have had Madrid for a while ..Ironclads hitting the battlefiled ..

Hun capital about to fall (accessible from 1 sea tile for logistic frigate death by a thousand cuts)
Celt capital under hun rule also about to fall under artillery barage ..

Then I'll have to backstab Indonesia which is a powerhouse before he backstabs me when my armies won't be around to defend .. He has a huge army - hopefully will be able to drain some good amount of honor gold out of it.. London and Warsaw should fall easily next and perhaps I can sneak some artillery in the city state close to Honolulu to help with the final snipe..

Will go modern era for flight (Prora - happy and social policy) before cutting tech .. Will not have submarine tech vs modern era Polynesian top dog ...
Don't have Clausewitz legacy and no exploration (need them badly)...

No but I have to put policies somewhere. Rationalism is the best choice after opening exploration.

Yeah, I probably wasted too many on exploration (opener+3). I had a good culture game though, mainly because of captured wonders, cultural heritage, and games, so I ended up finishing commerce before getting to ideology... maybe I should have opened honor after liberty, I sure could use the money now :)

@vanatteveldt exploration +3 production can be very nice if you get it early (oracle and 1-2 culture CS allies) and have say 4+ coastal cities. The happiness one is weak early - you should save it for late game IF you ever desperately need it .. (bellow -20 happy with no other way to fix it)

@Acken I went to far to restart this one.. Will try to put your lessons to use if I ever redo one of the other water map from one of the challenges I've missed ..

youtube playlist for this challenge

The Huns map (#23) turned out to be all about water, after the obligatory fast crushing domination

Awesome time Acken; after your post mentioning "turn 180, 2 caps left" I had a feeling you'd do it in under 200! Will you have time to do an LP/write up?

I won't.

For a quick sumup:
-Opened Liberty made 6 cities. (But other openers should also work)
-Built 2 workers, captured 3 from bucharest
-To survive the happiness you'll have to exchange luxes (fast trireme) and buy Samarkand
-Engineering > Philosophy > Metal Casting > Compass > Education > Education > Dynamite > Industrialisation
-Upgrade galleases. Started with spain while I was building a fleet for Indonesia (used 4 frigates to harass him and level up). Then the spain one went to Polynesia while the other one went to England/Celts. 5 Canons were swimming toward england too. Captured a coastal city to upgrade them and take Edinburgh quickly. Took york then artilleries + cavs went to Warsaw. Allships converged toward attila. His capital can be shot from one tile so just cycle range+logistics frigates on it and then capture.
-Get some range promotions so that taking cities is easier.
-Oxford dynamite (pre build canons and make them follow your fleet).
Extras:
-Build 3 factories for ideology
-Won the world fair at some point

Thanks for the summary. Swimming cannons in the wake of your frigates and upgrading them later was a nice idea.

Whoah, such an impressive win Acken.

I started another one after my liberty mess and opened tradition aiming at a cultural game. built a 5th city after a 4 city NC just to grab gold\2 silver\1 fur.

I'm at turn 180 and starting to pump out archeologists which seems a bit late i guess. I dont see how i could finish this before turn 250. Getting to internet may not be enough on top of that...

Also, got screwed over oracle and LToP for 2 turns. Checked capitols to spot if they were being built and they appeared with 5/6 turns left on my hard build. So decided to keep going. Failed anyway lol. same for world fair. i lost #1 by maybe 80 hammers with almost 900 in which is often enough.

I'm feeling lame now... And i think isabella will DOW me at some point, so i'm on a kind of constant bribing mode. Also, happiness is a rare commodity. and money aint too good. But still trying to hand in there.

T 252 domination win after circling the globe 50 billion times chasing my tail .. Frigates, Ironclads & logistic Privateers can beat modern era battleships (especially as the ottoman empire) ..

Spoiler :

Big fails: Wasted to many hammers early in the archer line of units , settled too few cities , circumnavigated the globe 2 or 3 times too many, din not build roads ahead of invasions , did not citadel bomb for iron and coal in a timely fashion , wasted hammers on (next to) useless air units, took too long to decide forgoing combustion and didn't kill science early enough, didn't open exploration right after liberty ..

Had ~ 5k faith with nothing to dump it in but sipahis or great generals by the end..

playlist link all remaining vids should (hopefully) be up within 24h ..

There is a Granary in the capital, after the Trireme. It's useless to make a Granary before spamming settlers. The first cargo is used toward Spain. It only feeds the capital after.

I do not like the pyramids if you can steal workers.

Do not focus too much on pop numbers some of it could be due to lucky maritime/mercantile quests.

See the bold part. That's the kind of "blew my mind" stuff you give us that are in fact so obvious that i want to bang my head on a wall.

As for prioritizing a cargo\caravan for early science. It's weird because i used to do that all the time and weirdly i didnt... Neither with liberty or tradition on this map. Which is a dumb move on my part as i always made the math that +4/5 beakers early is like something you just cannot overlook. Until unis, it' goes from doubling your base beakers to still being a 10% buff. Imo, it's a mandatory play. So yeah, again wanting to bang my head to the wall.

I'm strongly considering finishing my current tradition cultural play (which should be ok but with a damn bad finishing time, see above post) and then start again as much as i need to to improve my liberty opening skill as this map is pretty balance for a good learning. Neighboors arent too close, no OP lux start nor obvious Petra need, need to go for early maritime explo etc.. I think it's a nice one to work on your early build thoughts and reflexes. Got to admit a LP would have been precious on this one (even if just for the 150 first turn, kind of a early game till education demo) as the civ doesnt have any perk that alters the early game (unlike your brazil one, in which its UU kinda change development path and midgame culture income and you start exploring with your settler)

But getting a worker from spain ? Damn how did you pull that off ? The way she settles you can only get one from the above city (in my 2 previous experiences anyway) which requires an insanely good situation. If you could just DOW, steal, insta peace, i guess it would work but damn. First play i tried, i stole one and had no choice but sacrifice my warrior to save the worker. Also, you manage to get a religion on all your screenshots. Even in my tradition play with Altar + stone faith (aka +7 FPT quite early as i rushed masonry after potery), i got screwed big time.

Worse, in my tradition game i popped a +40 fait ruin + gold\silver pantheon (still just +3FPT, +4 with altar in 2nd city), and got screwed again :lol:

Quick question btw. How soon do you build roads ? (btw, thanks for the build road till 1 turn left and stop trick :lol: )

Oh and i'll add one last. How do you deal with barbs ? You dont have any units early in your BO aside from the scouts and trireme. And i find it tough to get rid of 2/3 barb camps with just the one warrior. Especially if you want to grab early friendship with CSs. You just grind them ? (attack, retreat\heal, attack again)

Well, I don't build roads until my math shows I'll be in the positive. I don't want to build a 5 tile road connecting a 2 pop city ;)

I had 2 warriors and an archer ready to clear up the barbs around. Even got the CSs to like me :)

Well, I don't build roads until my math shows I'll be in the positive. I don't want to build a 5 tile road connecting a 2 pop city ;)

I had 2 warriors and an archer ready to clear up the barbs around. Even got the CSs to like me :)

What is the actual math for city connection ? GPT is solely based on pop size ? Any thread\resource on this ?

As for unit production, i tend to crap out an archer at some point (which is more than enough with a warrior here), often too late for early barb camps quest, but seems Acken just doesnt lol.

Top Bottom