MacBUFFY

Okay I think I got it. I deleted everything I down loaded cleared out my download history and re downloaded it and it works.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks a bunch for your help.

Hopefully my Civ PLay is better than my computer skills!

Pleased to hear it's working. Enjoy your BoTM :)

It's not on the HoF site, because the HoF competition doesn't support Mac players. It's only used to allow Mac users to play BtS GOTMs. There's a link to it on every BOTM release page, and there is also a thread in this forum for it (this one :) ).

Hi, welcome :wavey:

Most of those errors are related to the way that Steam installs Warlords, and that isn't relevant if you are running MacBUFFY, as Warlords is not required.

The key error line is:

This has come up before. See post #77 in this thread.

It looks as if the version of BtS that Aspyr distributes has a slightly different version of that file from the one you get from Steam. The version that MacBUFFY expects is attached to that post. Download it and copy it into the folder: /Users/cjholms/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword/Beyond the Sword/Assets/Python/Screens/ to replace the one you have.

Every time my computer is upgraded or replaced, I have to reinstall Steam and MacBUFFY and then dig through this thread to find this link. Maybe you could edit the first post to include this information?

Thanks.

p.s. my computer belongs to work, which sadly reformats it every time a major upgrade is required, which is why I have to keep reinstalling Steam/BTS/MacBUFFY.

So I am having the same problem. I have done a fresh install of Civ IV and BTS from steam. I downloaded and unzipped Buffy into the /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Mods/ folder.
When I open BTS, Buffy doesn't list as an available Mod.
When I place it in the Documents -> CivBTS->Mods folder then I can load Buffy but I get the protected assets error.

I also can't open the locked Assets file.

One final issue, when I try to load a file, if the extension is not case sensitive (ie. I download xxx.civbeyondswordsave) it won't even show the file for loading until I rename it xxx.CivBeyondSwordSave

I am new to Mac so any help would be much appreciated.

Spoiler :
Valid Directory: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Shaders/
Missing Directory: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Mods/HOF-Mac-2.13.001/
Valid Directory: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Assets/
Missing Directory: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Mods/HOF-Mac-1.74.002/
Missing Directory: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Mods/MacBUFFY-3.19.003/
Valid Directory: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/PublicMaps/
File Size Error: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Assets/Python/Screens/CvExoticForeignAdvisor.py
Directory Has Errors: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Assets/Python/Screens
Directory Has Errors: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Assets/Python
Directory Has Errors: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Assets/
Extra Directory: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Art/Interface/Screens/TeamColor
Directory Has Errors: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Art/Interface/Screens
Missing Directory: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Art/Interface/TeamColor
Directory Has Errors: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Art/Interface
Directory Has Errors: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Art
Missing File: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Python/System/_LWPCookieJar.pyc
Missing File: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Python/System/subprocess.pyc
Missing File: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Python/System/cookielib.pyc
Missing File: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Python/System/_MozillaCookieJar.pyc
Missing File: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Python/System/_threading_local.pyc
Missing File: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Python/System/decimal.pyc
Directory Has Errors: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Python/System
Directory Has Errors: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Python
Directory Has Errors: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/
Valid Directory: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/PublicMaps/
Valid Directory: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Shaders/
Valid Directory: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/PublicMaps/
Valid Directory: /Users/chipman/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Shaders/

Okay so I solved the loading of the mod issue, under ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/ there is a Beyond the sword folder and the mods
so ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Mods/

Placing it there gets rid of the asset checker error saying the Buffy folder is missing
I still get the protected asset error

SO if I ignore the warlords errors, as best as I can figure the problem is a file size error on my CvExoticForeignAdvisor.py file

Yay!!! I downloaded the CvExoticForeignAdvisor.py file from an earlier post and replaced mine. It worked!!! I am good to go. Thanks for all the posts!

Thank you for making this available. I had some trouble figuring out exactly what to install where, since the folder locations have changed over the years, but all the correct info is scattered around this thread. Here's what worked for me recently without any issues, on OS X Yosemite with Civ4 BTS from Steam. Hope this helps others.

1) Download MacBUFFY-3.19.003.zip from the link in the first post of this thread.

2) Download CvExoticForeignAdvisor.py.zip from post #77 in this thread (page 4).

3) In your Downloads folder, double-click each of the above items to extract them.

4) Open a second Finder window via File -> New Finder Window. Hold down the Option key and choose the Finder menu item Go -> Library. Navigate to:

Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Mods

For reference, I had a default list of 12 other mods in this folder, beginning with Afterworld.

5) From your first Finder window showing your Downloads, drag the entire MacBUFFY-3.19.003 folder into this particular Mods folder.

6) Now in this second Finder window that shows the Mods, use the arrow button in the upper left to go back one folder level, then navigate forward into Assets/Python/Screens.

7) Drag your existing CvExoticForeignAdvisor.py file to your Desktop or someplace else as a backup.

8) From your first Finder window showing your Downloads, drag the new CvExoticForeignAdvisor.py into the second Finder window showing the content of Screens.

This is enough to play using MacBUFFY (load the game and select it from the mods menu). However, you'll probably want to do the following as well.

9) In the Finder, navigate to your Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword folder.

10) Right-click the CivilizationIV.ini file and choose Open With -> TextEdit.

11) Locate the following two lines and make the text as below:

; Specify a Mod folder (Mods\Mesopotamia), '0' for none
Mod = MacBUFFY-3.19.003

12) Save the CivilizationIV.ini file.

You are good to go; now MacBUFFY will automatically load when you run Civ4 BTS.

So for reference, as of August 2015, with OS X Yosemite and Civ4 BTS from Steam, here are the relevant folder locations:

MacBUFFY folder goes into:
~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Mods

CvExoticForeignAdvisor.py replaces the existing one in:
~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Assets/Python/Screens

Edit the CivilizationIV.ini file in:
~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword

Moderator Action: added link to post 77 to make things easier. --NobleZarkon

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, welcome :)

Thanks for summarising that. I don't have the Steam version, so I could only guess where it puts the software.

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the 'Steam-instructions' on installing MacBUFFY!

However, when playing a GOTM-savefile I get the message 'Mac players can't submit a HOF entry'.

Is there anyway to work/play around this? Or are 'we' unable to enter the Hall of Fame? ;)

Cheers!

However, when playing a GOTM-savefile I get the message 'Mac players can't submit a HOF entry'.

Is there anyway to work/play around this? Or are 'we' unable to enter the Hall of Fame?

Unfortunately the HOF is Windows only, MAC is for GOTM only.

It's ages since I looked at all this, so I can't be confident of a diagnosis, but I recognise the error:

File Size Error: /Users/alan/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Assets/Python/Screens/CvExoticForeignAdvisor.py

That probably means that there's something wrong with steps six, seven and eight in the way you have executed post 110.

Hey,
I've been trying many times to play GOTM but I always have that error when I try to load the save.
Here is what MacAssetsCheck shows:
Spoiler :
Capture d’écran 2018-01-12 à 21.22.30.png

At least I don't have the ExoticForeignAdvisor problem anymore :D
I would appreciate if someone could help.

Hi Gasp. What error are you getting exactly?

Top Bottom