MacBUFFY

Not so many people playing BOTM on Macs - maybe one entry every three months or so.

I can only suggest that you uninstall it all and reinstall from scratch. Your BTS doesn't sound healthy.

Thank you, that is also what I was thinking, to try install from scratch. What can be a reason that my Civ files get corrupted within days? can not enough space on disk contribute to it? Steam says there is plenty of space to install, but one of my disks is full.

Is Steam telling you it's corrupt again? Maybe it failed to correct it previously?

Full disks are never a good idea, but if the full one is your main system disk, or the one you are using for Civ4 application or data, then it's a very bad idea.

Is Steam telling you it's corrupt again? Maybe it failed to correct it previously?

Full disks are never a good idea, but if the full one is your main system disk, or the one you are using for Civ4 application or data, then it's a very bad idea.

Hi Allan, after several cycles of removing old civ files, reinstalling, repairing files, installing McBuffy and Foreign Advisor I finally got it to work! The problem seemed to be that I also have a version of Foreign Advisor from Dec 2009 on my comp, I think from my earlier attempts to install McBuffy and it got confused in the downloads with the version in post 77 you recommended from June. Now everything works but I am too tired to play this game, LOL.

Not sure what is going on with my file integrity, it is always OK minutes after Steam fixes them, but just 1h after installation I got 4 files that needed fixing. Might be that my hard drive is failing? It is not space issue anymore, cleaned up, a lot of free space now. My installation is still also crashing playing some MesoAmerica, but who cares, was checking just to identify the problem.

Thank you again, I was about to give up, today was my last attempt

Actually it is 50-50, I managed to open GOTM save when loading McBuffy first, but if the game tried to load McBuffy to open GOTM save, it crashed again. But at least it works sometimes now :)

Hi AlanH,

thanks for the warm welcome and your help.
I downloaded the assets checker and ran it. It seems to find stuff missing but I do have the Buffy mode in the
~/Documents/Civilization\ IV\ Beyond\ the\ Sword/MODS/MacBUFFY-3.19.003 folder. I have now edited the ini file that it is automatically loaded. I don't have the HOF mode but this doesn't seem to be the only problem that the asset checker finds. I checked the CIV version yesterday and it is 3.19 and all runs fine when I play it so I am really not sure what the problem is. Anyway, the text file for the checker is attached. Many thanks again for looking at it, it's kind of you.

Attachments

• output.txt
    4.4 KB · Views: 113
so one more update, I manage to fix this message:
Missing Directory: /Users/ania12/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Mods/MacBUFFY-3.19.003/

by just copying this directory into that folder (so I have it in several places now) and this message went away. But the initial game save still won't load and I am not sure how to resolve the other error messages. Thanks again

Thanks. The significant errors in your listing are:

Missing Directory: /Users/ania12/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Mods/MacBUFFY-3.19.003/
File Size Error: /Users/ania12/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Assets/Python/Screens/CvExoticForeignAdvisor.py

The first one has probably been fixed by your action in the last post, but you should probably delete the other copies of the MacBUFFY folder.

The second one is a known problem with the Steam version of BtS. You need to replace the file defined in the error message with the copy attached to Post #77 in this thread.

Let me know how it goes :)

Thanks AlanH!
I did what you said and it works now! This is good news :) Thanks very much!

Last edited:
Top Bottom