MacBUFFY

Hi, sorry I didn't see someone replied here!

I have the same error everyone has in BTS: "The file you have selected is protected..."

I should mention that I'm using BUG Mod in Custom Assets. Maybe this can cause an error too?
It's my understanding that our file in the directory steamapps/common/... should not be modified and I'm good as MacAssets shows but nothing is said about what is under Documents/Civ IV BTS. Shall I also delete this to start fresh? or is it (as I believe) not having any incidence on the problem?

I never installed (from Steam) the vanilla version, shall I do it or it won't sole the problem?

Finally I read something about a beta mode in Steam. I think this only apply to windows users because there's no way for me to chose the beta option in Steam: it says NONE and i can't pick something else.

I'm not entirely sure i got the Buffy mod working 100%.
I get the error message saying the BUG dll file couldn't be found but from what I read that is to be expected as the DLL doesn't work for mac. Is there any workaround for this?

I can't seem to get the hammer overflow to gold thing working. Is that fix supposed to be part of the Buffy mod, do I have to install another mod for that or is that fix part of the dll file that doesn't work for mac?

Hi, sorry I didn't see someone replied here!

I have the same error everyone has in BTS: "The file you have selected is protected..."

I should mention that I'm using BUG Mod in Custom Assets. Maybe this can cause an error too?

Sorry, I've only just seen this reply :(

BUG Mod in Custom Assets is probably not a good idea, as it attempts to load every time you start up and could interfere with MacBUFFY.

I never installed (from Steam) the vanilla version, shall I do it or it won't sole the problem?

I wouldn't do any harm.

Finally I read something about a beta mode in Steam. I think this only apply to windows users because there's no way for me to chose the beta option in Steam: it says NONE and i can't pick something else.
Yes, that's Windows only.

I'm not entirely sure i got the Buffy mod working 100%.
I get the error message saying the BUG dll file couldn't be found but from what I read that is to be expected as the DLL doesn't work for mac. Is there any workaround for this?
Are you sure you installed MacBUFFY? It sounds as if you are trying to run the Windows BUFFY mod.

Are you sure you installed MacBUFFY? It sounds as if you are trying to run the Windows BUFFY mod.
I have macBUFFY.
I installed it but I noticed a lot of the BUG settings on the in game menu were disabled (greyed out). I tried to have BUG run automatically when starting the game by making a BUG Mod folder, copying files to custom assets. I thought that was what was keeping everything from working but maybe I made it worse.
Is there a way to get all the disabled settings working on mac?

EDIT: I had BUFFY installed on my old computer (PC) and when I installed BUFFY on my Mac now I noticed a lot of functions were missing so I thought I hadn't installed everything correctly.

I've not used BUFFY. However, I do use BUG. Assuming that the BUFFY BUG menus are the same as the plain BUG ones, the greyed out options are the ones that are activated by BULL, which won't run on a Mac. I also have the Windows version installed on a Parallels virtual Windows 7 on my Mac. When I use that, the same BUG menu options are greyed out as on the Mac version of BUG. If I run BULL on the Windows installation then the greyed out ones are active. FWIW, I have decided that I don't much like what BULL does anyway, so I use BUG on both machines.

If you have BUG installed in custom assets then it always loads, for every game. If you also try to run MacBUFFY, you will probably generate conflicts. I think you will have to remove BUG from custom assets if you want to run MacBUFFY.

I thought I would give the old game a run again...
Problem is I don't want this Buffy stuff. I just wanted the simple old Bug Mod. But every time I go to sourceforge to get the zip folder, it gives me a BatMod_10 folder.

Am I missing the obvious?

Have you tried this address? http://civ4bug.sourceforge.net/BUGMod.html

If that does not work for you and you want to give me an email address, I can email you the file: BUGMod_4.4.zip

Either way, you have to do a minor edit of the BUG code in order for it to work on a Mac:

"
You have to edit the Python file:

/Applications/Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/Mods/BUG Mod/Assets/Python/BUG/BugUtil.py
and delete line 699.

If you don't have a text editor with line numbers, just search for, and delete, the line:

newFunc.__name__ = function.__name__
"

(Info in the quotes above was originally posted by AlanH)

Seems we may still have the wrong files indexed at Sourceforge... not the first time I had this issue.

Private message sent.

Hi guys, I am new here, I hope that somebody can help me!!! After a long hiatus, I came back to Civ IV and was very excited to try BOTM, but for the life of me, I cannot install McBUFFY properly. Here is the MacAssetCheck error list.

I did upload McBuffy to the Mods, and it shows there, but MacAsset says it is not there? I did not see any existing CvExotic Advisor, so I put the one I downloaded based on an earlier post in this thread from 2015, now it shows as an "extra file". I bought Civ IV from Steam in Dec 2017, so I guess it is the latest version? I do not know how to check BTS version number.

Please help, I want to try BOTM badly, looks super cool

Attachments

• BuffY_Errors.txt
    5.2 KB · Views: 129
Hi guys, I am new here, I hope that somebody can help me!!! After a long hiatus, I came back to Civ IV and was very excited to try BOTM, but for the life of me, I cannot install McBUFFY properly. Here is the MacAssetCheck error list.

I did upload McBuffy to the Mods, and it shows there, but MacAsset says it is not there? I did not see any existing CvExotic Advisor, so I put the one I downloaded based on an earlier post in this thread from 2015, now it shows as an "extra file". I bought Civ IV from Steam in Dec 2017, so I guess it is the latest version? I do not know how to check BTS version number.

Please help, I want to try BOTM badly, looks super cool

OK, I solved one problem, McBUFFY loads now, looks like I needed to download whole Civ IV from Steam. But I am still getting "The save file you selected is protected to ensure that the assets in your folder has not been changed" and even when I click "OK" it does not open, so I still need help ...

OK, I solved one problem, McBUFFY loads now, looks like I needed to download whole Civ IV from Steam. But I am still getting "The save file you selected is protected to ensure that the assets in your folder has not been changed" and even when I click "OK" it does not open, so I still need help ...

Actually, the McBuffy does not load, just appears on the list of Mods, but then I am getting a message that McBuffy is in the wrong directory and Civ is going through the loops trying to re-start and load it, to no avail.

Hi. Welcome.

The most significant lines are:

Missing Directory: /Users/Fine_Distinction/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Mods/MacBUFFY-3.19.003/

Extra File: /Users/Fine_Distinction/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Assets/Python/Screens/CvExoticForeignAdvisor.py

Are you sure you have put MacBUFFY in the right place? There should be an extra "Beyond the Sword" subdirectory in its path

Hi. Welcome.

The most significant lines are:

Missing Directory: /Users/Fine_Distinction/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Mods/MacBUFFY-3.19.003/

Extra File: /Users/Fine_Distinction/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Assets/Python/Screens/CvExoticForeignAdvisor.py

Are you sure you have put MacBUFFY in the right place? There should be an extra "Beyond the Sword" subdirectory in its path

Hi Allan, Thank you very much for your prompt answer! Indeed, McBuffy was in the wrong place, one level up, but when I moved it down, or kept in both locations, still not working. I also noticed that MacAssetCheck expects McBuffy in a directory not existing on my comp

common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Mods

I only have

common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/Mods

I created these dirs manually, got rid of "missing directory" error for McBuffy, but was not working. I tried to create other missing directories manually and put their copies of what Steam installed in directories with similar names, resulted in hundreds of MacAsset Check error messages and BOTM save still not opening, so I removed these, but kept manually created directory for McBuffy. I am down to 10 MacAssetCheck error (from 11, McBuffy location solved), but no idea what to do, the way I fixed McBuffy directory seems not to work for others missing. Latest MacAssetCheck reported attached - it is a great utility, btw, would have never figured out otherwise what is wrong with McBuffy location

Attachments

• Errors June_ 3am.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 122
common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Mods should already be there ... assuming you have ever run BTS ...You shouldn't have to create folders manually.

You've created it yourself, and added MacBUFFY, but not surprisingly, there are none of the other folders required in that directory. The error list is showing:

Missing Directory: /Users/Fine_Distinction/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/PublicMaps/
Missing Directory: /Users/Fine_Distinction/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/Assets/
Missing Directory: /Users/Fine_Distinction/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/Shaders/

Those are the main folders containing the game play data for BTS, so either the Assets Checker is looking in the wrong place, or something's not right with your installation.

First, try dragging the /Users/Fine_Distinction/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV folder into the window of the Assets Checker. That will force it to examine the real application directory.

If that still gives these errors, maybe you should use the Steam interface to reinstate the game files as follows:

In the Steam app, right click BTS and select Properties
In the Properties window select the Local Files tab
Click Verify Integrity of Game Files

Hi Allan, I checked with Steam, it found 2 corrupted files in BTS and one in Vanilla, I do not have the rest installed locally. After re-syncing with Steam, I am finally getting standard directory names, but even more errors in MacAssetCheck. When trying to open a GOTM same, now I do not see a message that it is protected, the window just disappears after saying it will load McBuffy and Civ goes in non-responding mode. On the list of errors, the only one I recognize is the CvExoticForeignAdvisor.py extra file that I installed following earlier instructions in this thread. Any ideas what may be still wrong? I am running El Capitan 10.11.6

Attachments

• Errors_after_syncing.txt
    5.2 KB · Views: 124
Most of the errors are either Warlords-related, or simply recording the higher level directories where file errors are found. If I reduce the list to those which may be relevant, we're left with:

File Size Error: /Users/Fine_Distinction/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Assets/Python/Screens/CvExoticForeignAdvisor.py

... and ...

Extra Directory: /Users/Fine_Distinction/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Art/Interface/Screens/TeamColor
Missing Directory: /Users/Fine_Distinction/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Art/Interface/TeamColor

The first two are probably the ones that are causing it to fail.

You should delete the Extra file: /Users/Fine_Distinction/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Assets/Python/Screens/CvExoticForeignAdvisor.py
and replace /Users/Fine_Distinction/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Assets/Python/Screens/CvExoticForeignAdvisor.py with the version attached to post #77.

I'm not sure what the last two relate to. It seems some of Warlords has been installed in the wrong place, but it may not matter.

Most of the errors are either Warlords-related, or simply recording the higher level directories where file errors are found. If I reduce the list to those which may be relevant, we're left with:

File Size Error: /Users/Fine_Distinction/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Assets/Python/Screens/CvExoticForeignAdvisor.py

... and ...

Extra Directory: /Users/Fine_Distinction/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Art/Interface/Screens/TeamColor
Missing Directory: /Users/Fine_Distinction/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Warlords/Assets/Art/Interface/TeamColor

The first two are probably the ones that are causing it to fail.

You should delete the Extra file: /Users/Fine_Distinction/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Assets/Python/Screens/CvExoticForeignAdvisor.py
and replace /Users/Fine_Distinction/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Assets/Python/Screens/CvExoticForeignAdvisor.py with the version attached to post #77.

I'm not sure what the last two relate to. It seems some of Warlords has been installed in the wrong place, but it may not matter.

Hi Allan, I removed the ExoticAdvisor, as you advised, and put the new one in the directory you indicated. Unfortunately it did not help, the game still goes into "non-responding" mode after attempting to install Buffy. It also crashed today for the first time when trying to play normal BTS. I attached python error log probably related to the crash and latest error log from Asset Check after deleting and Adding Exotic Advisor. I am not sure what is the deal with Warlords, I only installed Vanilla and BTS, played only BTS. maybe aborted installation.

Attachments

• Errors_June4.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 138
  • PythonErr2.txt
    5.1 KB · Views: 121
Hi Allan, I removed the ExoticAdvisor, as you advised, and put the new one in the directory you indicated. Unfortunately it did not help, the game still goes into "non-responding" mode after attempting to install Buffy. It also crashed today for the first time when trying to play normal BTS. I attached python error log probably related to the crash and latest error log from Asset Check after deleting and Adding Exotic Advisor. I am not sure what is the deal with Warlords, I only installed Vanilla and BTS, played only BTS. maybe aborted installation.

I also noticed that even though I repaired all my files with Steam couple days ago, I got again 4 corrupted. Installed just in case Warlords and Colonization, I am out of ideas why McBuffy not working for me. Give also started crashing recently while playing without mods, during exit to main menu.

So many people playing on Mac, so it must be a solvable problem. Any thoughts?

Top Bottom