US Midterms - Predictions and Aftereffects

The Repub's getting all the Governors and legislative seats in local election is really depressing... god I hate gerrymandering.
Well that goes both ways. In CA its gerrymandered for the Dems. Also, both sides help each other because incumbents want to be reelected before they care about the good of their constituents.

In CA we have a proposition on the ballot (20) that will put redistricting in the hands of a 15 member citizen's committee. We already passed this for redistricting state seat in 2008. This is to do so for national (House of Rep) seats as well.

The politicians have a rival proposition (27) to restore their ability to redistrict.

http://www.politico.com/2010/maps/#/House/2010/

First results are coming in now...

Well, Rand Paul won Kentucky's Senate seat. So far they've won SC and IN as well, with Democrats winning VT. That's a net gain of +1 for the Republicans if I'm not mistaken.

So far, all House seats are going to Republicans besides Vermont's. Indiana is turning red, but all but one are incumbents... Indiana's undecided seats also seem to be reporting large numbers of votes in favor of Republicans except one.

So so far, a net gain of one by Republicans in both chambers of Congress.

---

Apparently the Democrat strategy is to hold on to the West Coast. Probably will succeed if many Republican voters experience the whole time zone-related effect of a victory in the East is a victory in the West and so they don't bother voting.

That and well, the West Coast is their stronghold anyway isn't it?

Nope. The early returns I've seen from the field in IN, OH, PA and MI are pretty bad.

I'm from Michigan and it makes sense. Democrats have run the show here for many years (8 years with the Governorship, and control of the State House, and control of the agenda) and what did we get?

Michigan has lost nearly 500,000 jobs from 2000 to 2008, about 11% of its workforce, not including what was lost in this last downturn (somewhere around 300,000 jobs lost for 2009 alone, 2010 is not over, but it should be much smaller number). Anyways, BLS data for Sept 2010 shows somewhere around 720,000 to 780,000 fewer people employed compared to 2000, and our state population is under 10 million! (The BLS numbers jump all over month to month, so I'm not sure how to get a single number like those newspapers... maybe they just pick a nice round number and stick with it.)

Give Rick Snyder and his team a chance. He's at least talking about the actual problems we're facing like he has a clue. I'm pretty sure plenty of people in other states are thinking that way about their local races too.

Well that goes both ways. In CA its gerrymandered for the Dems. Also, both sides help each other because incumbents want to be reelected before they care about the good of their constituents.

In CA we have a proposition on the ballot (20) that will put redistricting in the hands of a 15 member citizen's committee. We already passed this for redistricting state seat in 2008. This is to do so for national (House of Rep) seats as well.

The politicians have a rival proposition (27) to restore their ability to redistrict.

... of course, but i'd take Dem gerrymandering over Republican every day of the week. :)

How dumb do ya think I am :lol:?

I never understood why Pelosi and Reid were party leaders in the first place :dunno:

You need to do more research. It's best to never rely on a party's talking points for objective analysis.

:lol: I don't. That's why I could never be tricked into voting for a Republican. I've paid attention to what they have done over the past 30 years.

I'm from Michigan and it makes sense. Democrats have run the show here for many years (8 years with the Governorship, and control of the State House, and control of the agenda) and what did we get?

Michigan has lost nearly 500,000 jobs from 2000 to 2008, about 11% of its workforce, not including what was lost in this last downturn (somewhere around 300,000 jobs lost for 2009 alone, 2010 is not over, but it should be much smaller number). Anyways, BLS data for Sept 2010 shows somewhere around 720,000 to 780,000 fewer people employed compared to 2000, and our state population is under 10 million! (The BLS numbers jump all over month to month, so I'm not sure how to get a single number like those newspapers... maybe they just pick a nice round number and stick with it.)

Give Rick Snyder and his team a chance. He's at least talking about the actual problems we're facing like he has a clue. I'm pretty sure plenty of people in other states are thinking that way about their local races too.

Do you have any proof that the loss of jobs is because of the incumbents policies? This is one of the many shortcomings of American voters they automatically assume that the other party is better because whatever is happening now its because of the incumbents whether they are democratic or republican.

How could anyone vote for the GOP?
Pretty simple, really.

1. Go to polling station
  2. Get verified at desk
  3. Take ballot and go to booth
  4. Mark the Republican candidates for every race
  5. Put ballot in machine

Why do you hate Grayson? He's one of the only fighters in the democratic party?

He's fairly condescending to people who don't agree with him. It just rubs me the wrong way.

And speaking of gerrymandering, I do believe both props 5 and 6 are going to fail, thankfully, if for no other reason than redrawing up the districts would pretty much take away the minority vote. It's actually a bit ironic, because most groups supporting those props tend to lean liberal (like the ACLU).

News is calling the Senate races as 3 pickups for the Republicans, 3 seats they targeted lost, and 4 still not counted yet.

What is wrong with you ultra-liberals? You want to cut pensions and equipment budgets for the military which is full of people who will suffer more in 5 hours then you will in your entire lifetimes! If you had family fighting in the war how would you feel if they died and the Dems suddenly cut all compensation and just left you on the street because your family no longer has a source of income?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTHv7UCiXf4

Listen to this song until the message get into you heads.

If you had family fighting in the war how would you feel if they died and the Dems suddenly cut all compensation and just left you on the street because your family no longer has a source of income?s.
Can I not work in the private sector if I have a family member in the military?

What is wrong with you ultra-liberals? You want to cut pensions and equipment budgets for the military which is full of people who will suffer more in 5 hours then you will in your entire lifetimes! If you had family fighting in the war how would you feel if they died and the Dems suddenly cut all compensation and just left you on the street because your family no longer has a source of income?

Except this war is a phoney because we wont achieve anything for ourselves out of it. Quite frankly who cares if the Taliban are eliminated from Afghanistan, there will be other extremists who will take their place.

History has shown time and time again that a conqueror cannot kill a popular rebellion through force. It can be temporarily subdued but not permenently unless you totally destroy the population and their culture (see aztec empire).

What we are doing in the middle east is going to radicalize the extremists further. They don't want us there despite some of what we are doing may improve the lives of some people. However our unmanned drone attacks claim the lives of the innocent and garner the Taliban further support.

I don't care what those military members are fighting for or if they are suffering. They chose to enlist to be a part of this phony war of aggression so they are morally responsible for what we have unleashed. They were not drafted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTHv7UCiXf4

No one has proposed doing that. What's wrong with you ultra-conservatives that you feel the need to make up things to accuse people of?

Going by the current Politico Map, the GOP is up around 25-35 House Seats, and a few Senate seats.

Top Bottom