Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World | Colonial + Pre-Colonial civs

The new Canadian design will include the Hudson Bay Company as a Unique to replace the Garrison Artillery. As such the decision choices will not relate to the company.

We will still ensure that the Decisions tie in with the rest of the Uniques for sure. That doesn't mean we'll be staying from the Pacific Railway and Race Free Immigration.

On a side note, what is interesting and what is not is extremely subjective.

"There are no arguments about taste and smell"
(Badly translated Hebrew saying)

Also, TPang is right, but you always have to remember the consensus. If most of the people do think its not interesting, then it isn't.

Also, TPang is right, but you always have to remember the consensus. If most of the people do think its not interesting, then it isn't.

Meh. I've never particularly cared about what the majority thought when it came to matters of personal preference. TPangolin can make whatever he wants; if the majority of people don't find it interesting, then they don't have to subscribe to the mod. :p

Meh. I've never particularly cared about what the majority thought when it came to matters of personal preference. TPangolin can make whatever he wants; if the majority of people don't find it interesting, then they don't have to subscribe to the mod. :p

Everybody likes your ideas, though.:lol:

I'm tempted to also do something with Tim Horton's. *Drumrrrroll* *Cymbals*.

Sounds like a good idea! :)
Is there any hope left for Mounties? Or is that a lost cause?

Canada's Mounties are forever immortalized in the Unique Ability. It aims to represent the historicity of the RCMP with the claiming land attribute, but also the world view of them in the garrison ability (the RCMP are essentially on par with other famous policing forces like the Texas Rangers or the Mexican Rurales.

While this is true, plenty of people make it their business to try and predict what's most interesting to the most amount of people; its not impossible to do and is somewhat important for a mod which aims to be downloaded and played by people. :lol:

We're not at all worried about recognisability in terms of attributes however. Our Canadian mod is easily one of the the most recognisable of all our Mods, it's the most salient and is the most viewed (~110k). Roughly half the people who have viewed the mod have downloaded it. We use this popularity as a soapbox to push lesser known cultures such as The Dene into the limelight. The reason The Dene sits on 11.5k downloads isn't because of it's inherent recognisability. In fact, it only sat on around 2.5k downloads in the week it was released.

It has so many downloads because whenever CL releases a new mod, our other mod downloads go up by ~1k. It's interesting to note though, that Canada has already achieved such a psuedo-high status, despite having a relatively unknown unique unit.

I think that highlighting lesser known, but important parts of a culture's history is part of what we aim to do here at CL. We work to highlight stories that deserve to be told. It's these same stories that history has essentially snubbed or have let fall by the wayside.

By utilising the popularity of our core known Civs, we can effectively highlight stories, cultures, and civilizations that deserve recognition. Just because we highlight lesser known civs and cultures, doesn't mean we can't highlight lesser known, but important history of known civs and cultures. :)

Let me chime in for a second on the subject of the RCMP. The RCMP were and are essentially police (and therefore are handled in-game already in the form of Constabularies, Police Stations, etc) but also served at one time to patrol the great wastes of Canada. Hense the UA.

Everybody likes your ideas, though.:lol:

Oh, I'm pretty sure not everybody. I've had a couple of people post on my civs on Steam about how much they hate anime and fictional civs, so there's certainly people out there that didn't subscribe to them. (I have nowhere near the number of downloads as the incredible CL mods. :p) But I'm not in this for fame -- I'm just making what I like to make, and if people enjoy what I've created then that's icing on the cake for me. :D

I'm tempted to also do something with Tim Horton's. *Drumrrrroll* *Cymbals*.

It should be one of those easter egg things that people slip in. Like the whole Flanders event. XD

It's interesting to note though, that Canada has already achieved such a psuedo-high status, despite having a relatively unknown unique unit.

It's a bit weird to consider the Voyageur a "relatively unknown" unit, as I remember studying them in my history class, but I suppose that's because it was about national history. I'm certain there's UUs in other civs I've never heard of. :p

I was referring to the Garrison Artillery :p

The Voyageur exists to represent French Canadian history.

So as some of you may have noticed - a second 3D Leaderscreen for CL is under production. At the moment, Bernie14 is currently working on Mandela of South Africa.

If any of you want to contribute ideas or suggestions regarding the building of the leaderscreen - head over to this thread and post away :)

This is all very exciting.

So as some of you may have noticed - a second 3D Leaderscreen for CL is under production. At the moment, Bernie14 is currently working on Mandela of South Africa.

If any of you want to contribute ideas or suggestions regarding the building of the leaderscreen - head over to this thread and post away :)

This is all very exciting.

I am excited about your south africa one, whehn you expect it to be ready to play? Is it going to be a miltary focused civ, or whats your plans?

Let me guess - a relatively peaceful, cultural Civ with a minor focus on trade routes and defense.

I helped with the design, so it's actually Wonder production and turtling. =]

Is that good? I mean, you could be more specific... :p

A peaceful turtling civ which boosts its culture by building wonders, gaining an increase to wonder production from trade routes! Sounds cool!

Sentinelese civ confirmed!

Hm... I thought a Sentinelese civ would have an UA where archer units would have a bonus against Helicopters. :D

Edit: Also

I helped with the design, so it's actually Wonder production and turtling. =]
INB4 Scapegrace's got a wonder obsession. :p

Hm... I thought a Sentinelese civ would have an UA where archer units would have a bonus against Helicopters. :D

They could also get a bonus from every civ that they "No" to a trade agreement with. and design the AI so they just declare war on anyone who comes near their borders but so they don't send military units to conquer cities.
XD

and it would technically come under Pre-colonial civ, so its fits the theme of Colonialist Legacies.

It sounds like South Africa's skillset will suit my playstyle nicely. I find that there are few things more satisfying than snagging the majority of the game's Ancient/Classical wonders and just rolling with the benefits they provide for the rest of the game.

Also: 100 posts! I'm a Chieftain no more!

+1 to that Sentinelese civ with helicopter-slaying archery units. That would be absolutely legendary... :king:

Can just imagine late game: "Gah, a gunship! I know just what to do..." *begins circling 8 crossbowmen for the killing blow*

Top Bottom