Final Fixes Reborn

Played some AoE after being disappointed by a civ 5 fantasy mod. Probably won't play again, civ 4 have some unappealing mechanics now that I've played the new one.
I do encourage you to try now and then, i feel there's merit in variety in civ ^^
First, Ashe of Erebus need a custom main menu background!
Would be nice indeed ^^
idea for Reorx level 3 - spawn 3 adjacent mithril just outside your city radius some turn after the mithril tech discovery
probably a bit too powerful and redundant ( with his first level you already know where the mithril is, so very easy to settle near the resource). I was more thinking of something that would make his units boost productions of cities with mines ( they're better at finding good metal), (in addition to the current affinities)/ need to think about it a bit more
idea for scout (and maybe hunter): The scouts in AoE always die quickly, making them invisible to animal would probably help a lot
probably not make them invisible, but give them more promotion choices to help them deal with animals would probably be a good idea
The only "problem" I had was the GoblinWaste1 event spawning the group on turn 10 next to my city, killed my warrior, Game Over. As a quick fix I removed 2 goblins from doGoblinWaste1() in MoreEvents.py and reduced Muris Lord <iCombatDefense> to 4 in MoreEvents_CIV4UnitInfos.xml. This event shouldn't happen in the early game
hmm, the lord shouldn't pop this early ( should be only basic goblins in the early turns), i'll check that.

Thanks. I didn't find this archive, but i get the idea. I replaced my Assets\python\Screens with their versions from Rise from Erebus. Filter is broken, but it's okay.
Here is the archive. I didn't notice we hadn't included it in the base download :
https://sourceforge.net/p/ashesofer...thon/Screens - Old Pedia Layout (1024x768).7z

Hmm, scouts getting eaten by giant spiders and mauled by bears has consistently been an element of the FFH charm. It's a DnD world out there, which means it should be dangerous.
Scouts should be able to survive the wild, that stay true in fantasy settings. And there's also the savages and demon faction out there.

Also, from a game mechanics perspective, if a scout grabs a goodie hut, or pops a positive from a graveyard or something, it generally pays back its investment cost with a healthy return, and in my experience I have a solid chance of getting one of these results before death, with a pretty equal chance of getting 0 or at least 2 before death. Building a scout feels right at the spot where it is a real decision between it and other options, a decision made based on starting tech, terrain, and desire for coty growth, and making the world safer for them would probably make it a dominant strategy to build 1 or 2 extra in the beginning, which would be a step back in game balance.

In base civ iv the world was safer, but there was a much lower density of rewarding targets (it was missing all the explorables). Seems like the same balance was achieved here, just with a more dangerous and fitting world.
Here's the problem, when you build a scout in any civilization game, your goal should be to explore the map, plan your expansion, contact other civ, etc. This is a strategy game, goodies hut are just a bonus. And if my scouts had better chances of survival out there I'd rarely explore features with them. There's some near useless rewards for a scout and some "not so bad" result are deadly to them. That'd become the gamble: should I risk a scout that'll probably stay alive and useful for a while?

probably not make them invisible, but give them more promotion choices to help them deal with animals would probably be a good idea
I gave them +1 sight in my most recent game. It helped, small forest felt a little safer and sand wurms could less often snipe them in deserts. I'd recommend at least trying it.

I do encourage you to try now and then, i feel there's merit in variety in civ ^^
Fine, I'll play again sometime

probably a bit too powerful and redundant ( with his first level you already know where the mithril is, so very easy to settle near the resource). I was more thinking of something that would make his units boost productions of cities with mines ( they're better at finding good metal), (in addition to the current affinities)/ need to think about it a bit more
Sure you'd have to change his level 1 and play with the balance but it'd fit more with his lore to find a giant mithril vein rather than know where is the mithril at start. As for the balance that may be not that OP since spawning it outside the player current cities radius would force the creation of a new one in the mid-late game to get the full advantage.

hmm, the lord shouldn't pop this early (should be only basic goblins in the early turns), i'll check that.
Forgot to mention, I've been playing v14.11 with the "living world" option.

Anyway, keep up the good work, Ashes of Erebus is the best mod out there

P.-S: @BanTingyun -> Morrowind will stay the best game in the serie. But since it's getting old, I hope skywind delivers

P.P.-S: I won't start an argument about the best civ but, in my opinion, the only important things civ 4 did better was the hapiness/ressources systems. And the Community Balance Patch made it slightly better than in civ 4

I gave them +1 sight in my most recent game. It helped, small forest felt a little safer and sand wurms could less often snipe them in deserts. I'd recommend at least trying it.
That sounds sensible, i'll make some tests with it

Sure you'd have to change his level 1 and play with the balance but it'd fit more with his lore to find a giant mithril vein rather than know where is the mithril at start. As for the balance that may be not that OP since spawning it outside the player current cities radius would force the creation of a new one in the mid-late game to get the full advantage.
I'll think about it

Scouts should be able to survive the wild, that stay true in fantasy settings. And there's also the savages and demon faction out there.

Here's the problem, when you build a scout in any civilization game, your goal should be to explore the map, plan your expansion, contact other civ, etc. This is a strategy game, goodies hut are just a bonus. And if my scouts had better chances of survival out there I'd rarely explore features with them. There's some near useless rewards for a scout and some "not so bad" result are deadly to them. That'd become the gamble: should I risk a scout that'll probably stay alive and useful for a while?

P.-S: @BanTingyun -> Morrowind will stay the best game in the serie. But since it's getting old, I hope skywind delivers

P.P.-S: I won't start an argument about the best civ but, in my opinion, the only important things civ 4 did better was the hapiness/ressources systems. And the Community Balance Patch made it slightly better than in civ 4

As for scouts surviving in a high fantasy world--not really,in that scouts in FFH don't translate into everything called "scout" in high fantasy, rather they represent a civilization's first baby steps into exploring a dangerous world. Hunters and above are more what you would see called scouts in normal high fantasy or DnD. I mean, scouts in FFH are guys with sticks, not even bows--that's not going to be very survivable in a dangerous world.

Agreed that scouts are currently a goodie hut gamble, but I like that. I also agree that scouts should have a limited map exploration role, which they currently do (exploring the immediate area around settlement and planning for next cities, seeing where immediate threats are). I disagree with your proposed broader purpose of scouts (ie exploring the larger map and contacting other civs that aren't immediately adjacent). First, because there is no purpose in knowing other civs at this tech level (without possibility of trading techs because no tech prereq for it, trade with farther off civs because no network that reaches far, etc), and because it is quite silly for civs just getting out of the stone age to somehow have regular diplomatic contact with other nations halfway across the world, and the same thing with having accurate map of far off parts of the world. I would object to it not just in a fantasy realm (though it hurts the mystery there), but also in the real world. Much better to have exploration be a dangerous thing and only with advancing tech do you start having the means to explore more widely and know more than your immediate neighbors.

At any rate, from a purely game mechanics perspective, if a scout is capable of surviving well and grabbing 2 goodie huts on average before death, it will become a dominant choice in the early game. So if scouts are made more survivable, goodie huts might be made less profitable. Besides, always wondered how these random villages are so damn rich (oh, visitors, here's the entire income of your civilization for years and years in the form of a gift..)

As for the other topic, agreed, I've been eagerly awaiting Skywind for years. Skyrim certainly improved game mechanics, but then sucked much of the character out of the world, while turning quests into "follow the magic arrow to your destination" that completely destroyed anything resembling exploration. ;)

I more hate the Civ 5 1 unit per tile system. Civ 2 had a much more artful solution on the stack of doom issue even (one combat defeat kills all stacked units, making it dangerous to move men tightly), while realism invictus came up with a pretty cool solution as well (a logistics system that punishes you for stacking too much). Civ 5's designers just did something simple that really messed up the AI and made map scaling so incredibly weird. Plus, them having limited the modding capability like they did was just unforgivable in light of the amazing mods for Civ 4.

So, I am probably missing something obvious here (and google has been unhelpful) but:

Ingame and in the pedia the icons for (un)happiness and (un)healthiness:)health:/:yuck:) are missing, as well as basically all the resource icons. On a fresh civ install, 14.11 and svn215. Steam version of Civ .

Any idea how to get those back?

Most likely, you aren't running the correct version of BtS. For Steam, you need to go in the Properties menu of BTS ( right click on the game in your Steam Library) and in the Betas tab, choose the 3.19 one. (Also, you don't need both the 14.11 and svn 215 versions of the mod, one is enough ^^)

As for the mercenary revision i've been promising, ran into a few save bugs during my test runs this week-end, apparently fixed by now but i'm doing one additional run tomorrow before commiting.

Most likely, you aren't running the correct version of BtS. For Steam, you need to go in the Properties menu of BTS ( right click on the game in your Steam Library) and in the Betas tab, choose the 3.19 one. (Also, you don't need both the 14.11 and svn 215 versions of the mod, one is enough ^^)

I just realized that myself (after doing way too much searching in the wrong places) and was about to delete the post. But thanks for answering. And yes, I only have one installed but I tried both.

Exciting! I look forward to trying it out. Congratulations on seeing your new mechanic (at least the first stage) come to completion! :)

As best as I can recall, this is the first time this has ever happened to me -- in my latest game Agares won a Gone to Hell Victory. I hadn't known that the mod kept score (well, sort of, and anyway, invisible to the human player) for the various Barbarian factions. I'm not complaining or suggesting a change, I actually thought it was kind of neat, all the more so for being such a surprise.

My game seems to be getting stuck in a loop. Playing svn-215 on non-steem civ 4, default modules. Just end the turn and it gets stuck on waiting for other civilizations.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxoH3Ywt3uljeEhOQ2h2YXZBQlU/view?usp=sharing

So i've looked into that save, i've pinpointed the error to one of Taranis' Settlers. So just go in worldbuilder and delete it should make it work again. Now trying to prevent it from happening in further games ^^.

EDIT: made some changes, i think it should work from now on.

ok, fixed the whole messy situation about cultural values civics being blocked for agnostic civs in rev 218, only theocracy and Religion should now be blocked for them.

Just out of curiosity, can I ask what was the source of the error? Only if it is simple to explain. :)

mostly due to weird effects of the <bStateReligion> tag, which meant alternatively " allows to take a state religion" and "requires the ability to have a state religion" depending on context.

It looks like it's something that's from BTS but didn't cause much issues as there was no other way in BTS to block a state religion. Agnostic, along with a reorganization of civics messed things up.

I just completely rewrote the tag which just is the requirement part now.

Thank you for reprogramming that! As a scions fan, I am deeply thankful for your work on them! It's going to make spring break a great deal more fun--most of the scion balance changes I suggested in that long post I can mod myself in xml if they don't make it into the official ashes version, but as you explained I would have been helpless to try to do this one given I can only text edit. Thank you so much!

That is very interesting regarding the source of the error, thank you for the explanation.

Sorry I've yet to provide feedback on the new mechanic. I'm really looking forward to seeing it in action, and I should have time sometime in the next several days to play.

I wanted to try those unhealthy Scions and got a few weird things popping up that seem to change whenever I reload the mod.

Korinna does not spawn on the same turn as the Aeron's chosen event. Her event mesage pops up but she does not. Also, the Aeron's chosen event will always happen on turn 2 in every game until you reload the mod.

The Scion Awakened spawn chance % display does not show up and you do not spawn any Awakened.

Scion add to city on Awakened is grayed out.

WorldOfErebus map generated as flat grassland.

All on a fresh install of SVN 219 but always different after closing and reloading.

Top Bottom