Yugoslav Partisans

My cousin, whose a Major in the Canadian Forces (that's his current rank) was in Bosnia back in the '90's as second-in-command of an artillery battery (I don't know what his rank was back then). He was also in Afghanistan, incidentally, during the early part of the intervention in late-2001, part of 2002. He now, however, has the cushy, and much safer, job of designing drone aircraft.

My friend mentioned the Canadians. He said one day the RWF and a Canadian unit got a call to assist Ukranian UN troops in the area. When they got there they found the Ukranians almost naked shivering in the cold. It turns out they'd invited some boys from a local village for a 'party' and whilst they were busy the locals snuck in and stole their clothes and weapons. You couldn't make this stuff up! :lol:

I literally do NOT go to West Edmonton Mall anymore! It's an hour or more long busride from where I live (I don't drive, myself) and it's always crowded to the point where walking through it is like navigating a rat maze, but of people. And it's full of belligerent people shoving around, screaming children whose parents don't control them at all, and tonnes of beggars and panhandlers who manage to fall under the security's radars. Plus, everything's overpriced compared to more conveniently located shopping centres. So, frankly, I have no idea what's still there, really.

Poor old dolphins. Sounds like hell on earth!

I'm not a big fan of shopping malls myself. My absolute worst experience was in Sofia, Bulgaria a few years back. After a week of very little sleep, huge physical exertion and copious amounts of alcohol I was dumped off in this very exclusive multi storey centre for several hours to kill time while we waited for a pickup to go to the airport. The place was just full of Gucci shops and beautiful, rich looking mafia types. I was just starting to develop some kind of Balkan bug, the place was boiling hot like everywhere in Bulgaria and I desperately needed to get my head down for a few hours of sleep but there was nowhere to sit down, let along have a snooze. I have never been so tired in my whole life. I was struggling to keep my eyes open as I ambled around, tiredness hitting me in waves. I managed to find a seat and within seconds I had drifted off, only to be shook awake by a grumpy looking security guard who must have thought I was some kind of vagrant.

Truly one of the most unpleasant afternoons of my life thus far. And to top it off there was not a single dolphin to be seen!

Work on city placement is going really well. ToTPP terrain hotkeys makes life so much easier. The the map I built for Hans99's Yugoslavia breakup means that, with a bit of tweaking here and there, I'm able to make this very geographically accurate. The ideas keep on coming and I have pretty much got the units and graphics down. I have made a little mockup to give you guys a feel for the scenario:

Where do those two Royal Yugoslav Infantry fit, or do they just get slaughtered by the Germans and Italians right at the beginning?

Tech,
See this article about the Balkan Air Force I know No 352 (Y) squadron was manned by Yugoslav pilots in Spitfires and had the RAF roundel with a red star. I'm not sure if the other units in the Balkan Air Force had the same on the actual aircraft but I thought it would be fair enough to use the BAF roundel as a unit badge (though willing to listen to arguments to the contrary). I know B17 and B24 bombers attacked targets in Yugoslavia, Bulgaria and Romania. I need to check but I think a USAAF badge would be more appropriate.

Patine,
I may need to modify the flags slightly but these units represent the Serbian State Guard (successor to the Yugoslav gendarmerie) and the Serbian Volunteer Corps. Two units controlled by the Serbian puppet state in occupied Yugoslavia. They were equipped with a mixture of Italian and Yugoslav uniforms & Czech, Italiand & French helmets.

It's looking good, and very fast progress. You're scenarios are developing their own unique look; very appealing I think. I wonder about the plethora of unit types. The extra slots of ToTPP are great, but I wonder if some might be reserved for things like event triggers? How about events creating captured Axis equipment, if the partisans win a battle?

Capturing equipment is one of my ideas for Partisan unit generation (the trucks and trains are specifically for that purpose) plus some Axis units will be on a one for one basis. City capture will provide some new recruits and certain cities will spawn new units an a random turn basis once captured. Some units will come from allied air drops. I'm thinking of keeping goody huts but only to give units as I did in ACIII. The one thing I want to avoid is unit production via cities, or at least limited production. This will alleviate the need for micromanagement on the large map and will also allow me to closely control Partisan numbers and keep the player on the edge of disaster in the early part of the game.

Completing various missions will alleviate this somewhat by rewarding the player with valuable recruits. Running and hiding, combined with targeted strikes may be the order of the day before the Partisans have sufficient numbers to fight pitched battles with the Axis later on.

I can understand the sentiment. In KW, the UN player can ONLY actually BUILD RoK Infantry in cities (and only because Rhee, the South Korean President, and his officers, were doing huge recruitment drives as the UN Force drove up the Peninsula), but, otherwise ALL of their other units come via events.

Notes for Bulgaria:

1: There was some partisan activity inside Bulgaria itself. It gets so powerfull that the movement throws the nazis out even before the Soviet army arrive in Sofia. I don't know does this even affect anything but better to mention it early :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatherland_Front_(Bulgaria)

2: Appears that the BG machinegunners use Italian "Breda" machine gun. Upon checking with a book of mine about armament in the BG Army for the period 1878-1989 I can safely guarantee that in this period German Maxims M05, Austrian Swarzlozes, and Russian M1910 Maxims were used only (talking heavy Mg's). As the German Maxim being the most common. Therefore I suggest using the one used in "Balkanwars" and tweak it a little.

This is it for now, very fast progress. Seems like you did not lose the momentum from SCW.

Strelok
Thanks for the heads up regarding the Fatherland Front. I will include this in the design, especially as Bulgarian troops joined the Soviets in their advance into Yugoslavia. I thought the MG was meant to represent the Schwarzlose (with the large cone flash suppressor) which was also used by the Italians (though not one of their main MGs in WW2) but looking at the ammo feed it appears to be the straight strip rather than the flexible belt type. In game it might not make much difference but I do try and be as accurate as possible. Perhaps Fairline can clarify. I think using the Maxim might be the best option though as it will really differentiate the unit from the Hungarian one.

Combining "unitkilled" and "randomturn" triggers could give variable probabilities of equipment capture. Lower for Germans, a bit higher for axis allies or puppet states. Lower for tanks and artillery, a bit higher for mortars and MGs. Just a thought.

I like that idea. A bit like gaining veteran status is slightly random. This will prevent a 'harvest' of particular Axis units. Thanks for the idea Tech.

Would anyone be willing to draw a 43M Zrinyi Assault Gun for me?

Of course a Csaba, Toldi, Turan & Nimrod would be awesome but I'm not sure I can find slots for all of them! I have other German, Italian & Czech vehicles I can equip the Hungarian Army with but it would be nice to represent one of the Magyar home built weapons in the game.

Top Bottom