Cross-Platform Civ3 Editor

Cross-Platform Editor for Conquests now available! 1.48

@ZergMaster - I've replied to your post as well, in the latter part of this post.

Thanks for the thorough reply!

I tried an odd number of colors (40 rather than 16 or 256) just to see what would happen. 36 possible terrains + 4 extra colors. I just used the bright magenta, green, etc. to make it easy to spot them in the assignment list if they showed up. I wouldn't normally do that.

Part of the goal is to figure out how to consistently match the palette order to the way the colors/terrains are listed in the editor. Just part of streamlining my own workflow, by making it easier to run down the list. Maybe the question is "When making the initial assignments to the list does the editor start with the color in the 0 index position, or at the other end (255 in the case of the 256 palette)?" I guess I could experiment by rearranging the palette for the same image, but if you already know the answer ...

This is what happened - the map looked ok. No LM terrains were in the bmp or on the map. So far so good. OTOH, there were more colors in the palette than there are terrains. So the editor "filled in the blanks" so to speak but included some of the extra colors. There is no "None" option in assigning terrains. OK since those colors weren't used in the image anyway. But kind of a pain to have to go through & manually change every unused terrain slot to make sure none duplicate used colors.

Ultimately the solution (as a map-maker) is to create a palette with exactly the same number colors as the terrains available.

I suspect I may still not be on the same wavelength, so this may be a case where screenshots/uploading the bmpcolors.txt file that the editor created in its folder/uploading the BMP may help in coordinating. It should be possible to upload your BMP to my e-mail file storage http://quintillus.warpmail.net/civ3editor/ at the bottom. Note to others: feel free to use this as well, and note in the thread/PM when there's something for me to check there. I'm not sure what the size limit is, but 32 MB is below the limit. Maybe 100 MB?

I think you may be referring to the list of color -> terrain mappings, in which case it should start with index 0. However, I'm not entirely sure, and am somewhat confused about making sure none duplicate used colors (shouldn't there only be one of each color, albeit potentially similar colors?). So, a picture with a few arrows on it may be worth a thousand words.

Refreshing was my hunch. There is the slight (expected) delay when first opening a map file, or when scrolling, but this is something different, as you've seen.

I dug into this tonight. Wound up being 2 hours of debugging for one relevant line of code being changed. Due to a complex series of events, I wound up having a situation where, while debugging, I'd do something like:

verticalScrollBar.setNewMaxHeight(4200); //existing code
int i = verticalScrollBar.getMaxHeight(); //would return, say, 5700

Of course it doesn't make sense that fetching a value on one line would return a different value than what it was set to on the previous line, but that's what was happening - the scroll bar was telling the map area that its size had changed, and the map was, in response, telling the scroll bar to set its size to the size of the map area (which had not yet changed from the old value). Now I set the map area's size first, and then the scroll bar, and it works.

Only thing I'm still not sure of is why I can't reproduce it in 0.83; by 0.91 I can. Maybe I deleted a line like the one I added in to fix it tonight at some point? At any rate, this should be fixed in the next update.

If I understand you correctly, they are all sharing the pine graphic from the LMForests.pcx. Which must be another one of the hard-coded limitations. Just means we can't use unique graphics for each of them separately. Disappointing that we can't have separate graphics for each of the forests, but that's something we just have to live with.

Yes, I believe that is correct.

We now have LM Floodplains. The game engine uses Desert for the base terrain then overlays the floodplains.pcx onto it. So with LM Floodplains is it using the LM Desert ? Is it possible to create & use an LMfloodplains.pcx? Or is it the same as what embryodead said about the jungle, marsh & volcano - the LM Floodplains shares the same graphic as the standard terrain? I could create files & test this, but maybe the answer is already known.

For LM Floodplains, it will use the lxdpc.pcx and so forth files in Civilization III\Civ3PTW\Art\Terrain, where l indicates Landmark, x is always there, and dpc = desert, plains, coast - the three terrains in that file. So it will use the landmark version of desert.

I searched the executable in a hex editor, and the only LM terrains mentioned (starting with LM) are LMHills, LMForests, and LMMountains. So there's no code to load any other landmark graphics, other than the base terrain ones (lxdpc.pcx, etc.). So it looks like we're stuck with landmark floodplains being landmark desert base + regular flood plains overlayed.

Agreed on editing posts. I'm sure a second thread here dedicated to the documentation/help files would be possible. The CFC creation & customization wiki would have been a good choice, except that has never gotten off the ground either. The wiki is in place, but is just a skeleton, lacking any real content.

The wiki would have been great, had it taken off. I think it would have stood a much better chance had the logins been integrated with CFC logins, but that's water under the bridge. I think I could also request additional posts in the beginning of this thread to be added - IIRC that's how I got the second post for the changelog, and I already need a third one to update that.

I guess the executive summary is - my questions are about understanding the editor & creating an efficient easy to follow workflow. Nothing major to fix about the mapping process, just trying to get a working knowledge of how the files are used. Then maybe I can help with creating documentation of at least that part of the editor. Been wanting to put together a map-making tutorial incorporating the communal wisdom anyway.

I'm definitely open to helping with figuring out the best workflow, both in regards to using the tools as-is, and if need be tweaking them. You're much more of a map-maker than I am; I do plan to release a map created with the editor at some point, but only have a start on it so far. And good documentation is welcome; since 0.99 will allow essentially any web site to be displayed, I plan to drastically expand what the Help links to. Perhaps the first post as well, but I'd like the main page of the editor's help to be a hub of sorts for documentation on what can be done using the editor (including links to existing and future CFC and non-CFC tutorials where they already exist).

ZergMaster said:
Small question Quintillus:

''Future Possibilities

The capabilities of this functionality could potentially be expanded to allow extracting maps or custom player data. If you want this functionality, please request it in the forum thread - so far little has been heard about this ability''

Have you still not done this? I think it could be useful for bug hunting. I was playing a real game without debug on, and my game had a fatal crash. As of now I dont know of a way of using your editor to load my save, turn the debug mode on, and go find my bug.

Can I do this with your editor as is? What I mean is import sav, modify, export sav. I really need to tackle this bug now that I've found it rather than having to remake a whole game with debug on.

What I'm trying to do is playing the modified save picking up where I left off and find out whats causing my crash the following turn. Thanks!
Nov 16, 2015 02:31 PM

Currently, the editor doesn't support any exporting to SAV. Input From SAV as it currently exists really does one workflow - open a SAV, and save the rules to a BIQ (though not the map). I don't recall the exact post where I made the quote you quoted, but the help file's description remains accurate:

At this point the primary use for this is envisioned to be recovering BIQ files for scenarios for which you no longer have the original scenario, but do have some old savegames. At some point, it could be used to extract an updated map from a scenario for use in a future scenario, after some modification in the editor

As for the specific issue of turning debug mode on...

I suppose there are three reasons I haven't done this. One is relatively low demand. The second is, so far there have been two cases where I've attempted to do this manually, based on documentation of the SAV structure. One succeeded, the other did not. So, I don't have a lot of confidence in being able to reproduce it programmatically based on that success rate.

Finally, that functionality would be potentially dangerous for the Game of the Month and Hall of Fame competitions. This is actually the one I've thought about the most. While there are existing lists of allowed/disallow behavior and utilities, this would definitely fall into the category of useful-for-scenario-creators-but-potentially-hazardous-for-GOTM/HOF, since someone could turn debug mode on for such a game as well. Even if the editor only allowed turning debug mode on, but not off, it could still be misused, since you could open a GOTM/HOF save, turn debug on, view the map as desired, and use that knowledge to change your strategy unfairly. And while there would be technical ways to exempt GOTMs from that functionality (essentially including an invisible watermark in the save file that the editor would detect, and disable that functionality for if detected), I don't think that could be done for HOF games.

In short, I wouldn't want to add such functionality without talking with GOTM/HOF staff first, even if I thought it would be reliable and easy to do. Perhaps it wouldn't be a significant concern since we're down to a couple HOF submissions a month on average now, and from experienced players, but I wouldn't want to find out that it is a concern the hard way.

As for enabling it in your specific scenario, I may be able to enable it manually, if you upload the SAV to CFC. No guarantees, since I've only had a 50% success rate, and if the scenario isn't available for download, I won't be able to test it myself. But it may work, and if it does it probably will save a lot of time, so feel free to upload it here, or via the upload form.

Quintillus -
I noticed under editor settings there's an option to change the look and feel of the interface. I was hoping there would be an option for "high contrast", but it doesn't appear that any of the options work - even after restarting. I also increased the font to 16pt, but it doesn't look like the interface scales so there tends to be text overlap. I was wondering if you could confirm these two items and if you might have a solution. Thanks!

Alright Quintillus I uploaded the save. Thanks for the reply. It's Called 'Zergmazter fail next turn.sav'

Update:

I've solved the problem, but it would still be good to have debug on, so you let that game play and find future errors to fix. Thank you!

I suspect I may still not be on the same wavelength, so this may be a case where screenshots/uploading the bmpcolors.txt file that the editor created in its folder/uploading the BMP may help in coordinating. ... I think you may be referring to the list of color -> terrain mappings, in which case it should start with index 0. However, I'm not entirely sure, and am somewhat confused about making sure none duplicate used colors (shouldn't there only be one of each color, albeit potentially similar colors?). So, a picture with a few arrows on it may be worth a thousand words.
I'm definitely open to helping with figuring out the best workflow, both in regards to using the tools as-is, and if need be tweaking them.

My fault we're not on the same page. Posts were a bit too obscure - mostly because I was trying to avoid long esoteric posts that no one else would be interested in reading - and then your replies wouldn't make sense to them without that context.

There are no duplicated colors & the editor is behaving just fine. My questions only relate to knowing enough about what's going on behind the scenes to turn it to advantage. Already got screenshots I took for my own purposes. I'll write something up with text explanations/annotated images & send it to you privately.

--------
Even without the wiki, there is a lot of info on mapping, terrain, and workfow posted by a lot of people in a lot of threads which is sort of gathered/bookmarked already. What utilities exist, how to convert images, how to keep an easily editable image for changing during scenario design and re-importing to your map-making routine, ... "Only"( :lol: ) needs to be converted into a tutorial thread. But definitely a simpler task to write up something about using the map converter & editor. That "only" takes a bit of free time. :crazyeye:

--------
So there's no code to load any other landmark graphics, other than the base terrain ones (lxdpc.pcx, etc.). So it looks like we're stuck with landmark floodplains being landmark desert base + regular flood plains overlayed.
Not unexpected. Mildly disappointing, but also important to know when planning how to use terrain in a scenario. Added to my to-do list - make a master list of what terrains must share graphics or values, & which can differ.

--------
I think I could also request additional posts in the beginning of this thread to be added - IIRC that's how I got the second post for the changelog, and I already need a third one to update that.
IIRC from staff days posts can be inserted, but only after the OP - can't create a new OP. There's a fix that involves getting a moderator to help you, but is simple to explain. Create a new thread with the opening post(s) you want, then (the part that takes moderator privileges) append the old thread to it. Or ... this thread is far from the post limit, but start a new thread to continue the discussion, link back to this one for future reference. Once that is done ask a moderator to lock this thread - then it's still accessible, but no new posts can be added.

--------
We need a good alternative to writing "Quintillus' cross-platform editor" every time we want to credit it, link to it in answering someone's questions, and so on. Q-editor, Queditor, Quexitor, xEditor, ????

I've solved the problem, ...
:(
It's so frustrating when people share interesting problems that a lot of us will encounter sooner or later, there's a good discussion, but then they don't post the solution.

I suspect I may still not be on the same wavelength, so this may be a case where screenshots/uploading the bmpcolors.txt file that the editor created in its folder/uploading the BMP may help in coordinating. It should be possible to upload your BMP to my e-mail file storage http://quintillus.warpmail.net/civ3editor/ at the bottom.
Sent you a PM here at CFC - it's a long text explanation with accompanying images. Didn't want to convert it to a pdf to upload (which you couldn't edit or briefly quote), or throw unconnected separate files at you. But if you want something specific for further testing, I can send it there.

Quintillus -
I noticed under editor settings there's an option to change the look and feel of the interface. I was hoping there would be an option for "high contrast", but it doesn't appear that any of the options work - even after restarting. I also increased the font to 16pt, but it doesn't look like the interface scales so there tends to be text overlap. I was wondering if you could confirm these two items and if you might have a solution. Thanks!

That is almost entirely accurate. Breaking it down:

- There currently is no "high contrast" option. I'm not currently aware of a good general-purpose way to do this in Java; it would be possible to create a high-constrast UI theme, but that's not something I have the expertise to do (either in creating UI themes, or knowing what truly counts as high contrast). It's possible there's already a good high-constrast UI theme out there, and if so, it may be possible to add that as an option, provided it can be distributed without additional fees.

Examples of custom themes are here and here. By using one of these Swing themes, the application's general appearance will change; if there's a good high-contrast one, the application would display in high contrast in general.

See also the following:

- The "look and feel" as it exists now allows you to change between the themes that are built into Java, which are often called a "look and feel" in Java. By default, there are only a few built in, and the ones listed currently are the main ones that are available cross-platform (there also are a couple more early-mid-'90s style ones).

The "System" one varies depending on your operating system, and the idea is that the application will change in appearance to look similar to (though not quite identical to) an application developed specifically for your system. So, on Windows it will look like a traditional line-of-business Win32 application; on OS X it will look like an Aqua application, and on Solaris it will look like a '90s Unix workstation application. The layout will be the same, but buttons, lists, and so forth will have a different style.

Thinking about it more, I think "System" might also inherit the theme if you have a Windows Classic theme enabled in Windows 7 or lower (I don't know how Windows 8 and higher handle high contrast). I can look into this, and see whether it does inherit that to a reasonable degree.

- The interface doesn't scale currently, with one exception. That is the System theme. At least on Windows (haven't checked for other OS'es), the UI will scale if you have the System theme enabled, although inconveniently, the text does not scale along with it (which is why there's the text size option in the settings). So, with the System theme, if you set the Windows font scaling to 125% and have size 14 font, everything will be a little bit bigger.

The catch here is that when I started developing the editor, I didn't know anything about scalable UIs. High-res displays weren't really a thing (outside of extremely rare, bleeding-edge displays like the IBM T220), and at any rate I had a 1024x768 monitor at most. So, on several of the pages, the layout is fixed based on pixels. Others will scale nicely, but on some of them you can't really push it above 125% without things overlapping too much to be usable. I plan to gradually redo it so that this all happens nicely, and doesn't require a specific theme, but that will be a slow process. This is also one of the reasons I'm switching to a newer version of Java - I could rewrite it using the old version, but the new ones have much better native support for scalable UIs built in.

In summary, you can sort of get bigger font but not really in a general-purpose way, and I'll have to check the high-contrast options and see if the System theme plays nicely with them.

Alright Quintillus I uploaded the save. Thanks for the reply. It's Called 'Zergmazter fail next turn.sav'

Update:

I've solved the problem, but it would still be good to have debug on, so you let that game play and find future errors to fix. Thank you!

I do agree with Blue Monkey that, if it hasn't already been done in a different thread, it'd be good to post the fix. I'll take a look and see if the debug toggle works later this week.

Even without the wiki, there is a lot of info on mapping, terrain, and workfow posted by a lot of people in a lot of threads which is sort of gathered/bookmarked already. What utilities exist, how to convert images, how to keep an easily editable image for changing during scenario design and re-importing to your map-making routine, ... "Only"( :lol: ) needs to be converted into a tutorial thread. But definitely a simpler task to write up something about using the map converter & editor. That "only" takes a bit of free time. :crazyeye:

Indeed, there are some nice library/index threads already. I think perhaps the biggest weakness of them is that so many were started by people who are no longer active, and thus they only go up to a certain point in time. Thus, the newer innovations are not necessarily catalogued in them.

IIRC from staff days posts can be inserted, but only after the OP - can't create a new OP. There's a fix that involves getting a moderator to help you, but is simple to explain. Create a new thread with the opening post(s) you want, then (the part that takes moderator privileges) append the old thread to it. Or ... this thread is far from the post limit, but start a new thread to continue the discussion, link back to this one for future reference. Once that is done ask a moderator to lock this thread - then it's still accessible, but no new posts can be added.

That sounds similar to what I remember. IIRC, I had the second post added after this thread, and the third post (from Tom2050) was merged in since he'd already created a separate thread to discuss the editor after seeing it in the Downloads Database or in my sig or somewhere like that. I'm considering simply putting the full history on my site and keeping the most recent, say, 20 versions in the thread, though. Not really sure.

I do hope to keep one thread for now though; it is still too much to browse through, but I have found the "Download thread" thread tool, plus search in Notepad++ or similar, to be handy in utility threads, and that only really works if it's one thread.

We need a good alternative to writing "Quintillus' cross-platform editor" every time we want to credit it, link to it in answering someone's questions, and so on. Q-editor, Queditor, Quexitor, xEditor, ????

Funny, I was thinking about this the other day, largely because I've been thinking about what to call the still-under-wraps new feature I've been working on for 0.99. I suppose simply "Quintillus's editor" would be the equivalent to the common "Steph's editor", though I do think there's benefits to having names such as, say, "CivAssist II" instead of "Ainwood et. al.'s Improve-Your-Play Utility" or "Civ3 Show and Tell" instead of "Puppeteer's Web Map Utility".

The one I'd thought of previously that I liked the best was Civ3 Studio, or C3S for short. The name's primarily inspired by an internal development tool from one of my former employers, named [Company Name] Studio, that grew to be popular enough that customers who saw it on site wanted to use it themselves (which I think did come to pass shortly after I left). But basically, the idea is that, now that the cross-platform aspect of it is established, the next phase is making into more of an editing hub, a "studio" of sorts (this also ties in with the feature I'm working on for 0.99). The downside is that "studio" is often associated with artwork, and I don't plan to incorporate tools to make, say, PCXs or FLICs into the editor at any point, beyond very niche areas like civ color PCXs. I'm also not certain that C3S isn't already used somewhere else.

Looking at your suggestions, I also thought of simply QEdit, but I thought that sounded vaguely familiar and sure enough it's a DOS and OS/2 text editor from the '80s.

Of the ones you've listed, I think I like xEditor the most. With Queditor and Quexitor, I'
m not really sure how I'd pronounce them ("Kwedittor"? "Kwixiter?"). Quixitor does have a bit of a ring to it if pronounced like that, but it also makes me think that the purpose of the program would be like a "quick exit-er", which isn't quite the case.

xEditor is clear how to pronounce, and focuses on the cross-platform aspect. It also fits in with the pattern of xCode, in that you edit with xEditor, and code with xCode, although I think xCode takes the x from OS X (Ten), not x as in cross-platform. Then there's also the possible confusion with Unix utilities like xTerm, xCalc, etc., which come from a different x. There's advantages and disadvantages for each.

Perhaps this can be done in conjunction with 1.00, likely in the first part of next year. That would be a fitting time for a renaming, and give time for discussion/new icon, etc.

Sent you a PM here at CFC - it's a long text explanation with accompanying images. Didn't want to convert it to a pdf to upload (which you couldn't edit or briefly quote), or throw unconnected separate files at you. But if you want something specific for further testing, I can send it there.

I've received it, and will look over it in more detail this week! Probably ought to get dinner first, though!

I've received it, and will look over it in more detail this week! ...
Take your time - working more on terrain graphics than maps, at the moment.

... Probably ought to get dinner first, though!
No wonder I don't feel as sharp as 6 hours ago when i sat down to do quick check of my email. :lol: Nom nom

Quintillus - Thank you very much for the detailed answer. Unfortunately, in my family the women tend to develop cataracts at an early age, apparently it's an uncommon hereditary trait. It will be awhile before it's bad enough that I'll need surgery, but it'd be nice to have some visual help in the meantime.

I'm using Win8.1 now and it does have a couple high contrast themes. The down-side is that it will change every program to display in high contrast. This can cause problems in programs like excel where all the cells turn black and you can't adjust the fill or text colors. Below is what your editor looks like under Win8.1 high contrast with the system theme enabled:
Spoiler :
Visually it's fine, but all the cells that contain the terrain information (food, shields, bonuses, etc.) are blacked out and can only be seen when highlighted (like the Civilopedia entry). So I've been keeping a more standard Windows theme enabled and try to adjust programs that have modifiable interfaces on a case by case basis. I like the JTattoo Look and Feels themes, but I realize the UI is not necessarily a high priority right now. Any help though would be appreciated.

You beat me to the screenshots - I looked into the settings on my XP box last night, and found largely what you describe. There were 4 high contrast themes, of which 3 had black backgrounds. High Contrast 1, for example, looked like this, very similar:

I'm not sure why the free text fields still have black text; I may be able to configure that to use the theme color instead (yellow in this case).

There's also one high contrast theme with a white background (High Contrast White):

In that one everything does display as expected, but it's also a much brighter theme with it being mostly white, which may or may not be acceptable. I'm also not sure if 8.1 has a white background high contrast theme.

My condolences on the genetic luck with the cataracts, and I'll play around with the text boxes and see if I can figure out how to get them to respect the system theme colors instead of always having black text.

Did a bit of research, and figured out what I was doing incorrectly for the high-contrast themes with black text. As a result, the text is now all visible (this is with a different High Contrast theme):

This change will be present in the next version.

Quintillus - Thank you so much for checking into this and I'm happy you were able to get it to work. The black background is definitely better for high contrast as opposed to the white, which even on my toned down monitor settings makes reading difficult. The yellow text is a bit easier on my eyes, but I'll certainly settle for the green if that's all that is possible. Thank you again! :hatsoff:

Quintillus - Thank you so much for checking into this and I'm happy you were able to get it to work. The black background is definitely better for high contrast as opposed to the white, which even on my toned down monitor settings makes reading difficult. The yellow text is a bit easier on my eyes, but I'll certainly settle for the green if that's all that is possible. Thank you again! :hatsoff:

The editor will henceforth inherit what the settings are in your Windows theme, whether it be yellow, green, white, or something else. I just chose green for the most recent screenshot for variety's sake since I'd chosen yellow in the previous one with a black background.

Edit: I believe this should be the case for OS X as well, although I'm unfamiliar with its high-contrast options and how customizeable its themes are.

The editor will henceforth inherit what the settings are in your Windows theme, whether it be yellow, green, white, or something else. I just chose green for the most recent screenshot for variety's sake since I'd chosen yellow in the previous one with a black background.

Edit: I believe this should be the case for OS X as well, although I'm unfamiliar with its high-contrast options and how customizeable its themes are.
In System Preferences>Accessibility there are options for inverse colors, grayscale, and contrast. Using 10.9 : contrast can be increased but not reduced, everything is inverted (images as well as text), screen captures via command-shift-3 or using the Grab utility are in normal mode regardless of Accessibility settings. I did a quick search in the Apple support forums but found no way to change any of those limitations.

Made a "sandbox" biq for testing the look of some custom terrain. The firaxis editor (on a windows machine) finds the custom terrain's scenario folder & shows that terrain on the map. This editor (on a Mac) shows the default terrain ( I've swapped Ares' for the firaxis sets, so that's what appears) - even though the correct path to the custom terrain is set in the properties tab. The biq & folder names match, I've double-checked the search path. I must be overlooking something simple, but don't know what.

Also sometimes the pull down menu has blank entries. Remember these were problems in earlier versions - don't know if you ever had a chance to look at them.

menu screenshot
Spoiler :

I took a look at the pull down menu in OS X 10.9 tonight. Below is a screenshot of what I'm seeing:

Seems pretty normal :dunno:. A little boxy, true, but the only blank entry is the home folder, which I overwrote in MSPaint. Spot-checking drop downs on other tabs, I did note that the right border is missing if there aren't enough entries to have a scroll bar, as seen below:

But I didn't encounter any blank entries. Not sure what the difference might be.

What I did note that seemed odd was that I was unable to open folders within the open/save dialogs. Double-clicking them didn't have any effect. Have you encountered this? I'm not sure if I'm just doing something wrong, or if it's a Hackintosh issue, or a mouse issue, or a real issue, but it seems strange, and I think I would have remembered seeing that on OS X 10.4 Tiger.

Secondly, I noticed that I was always prompted for the Civ install location when starting, even after I'd specified it (and when the path was indeed saved correctly and recognized in the Settings window). Does this happen to you? Haven't dug into it much yet.

I also noted a few minor graphical issues when using the System theme. The main one was that the tab bar didn't visually indicate which tabs are disabled and which aren't, which I'm pretty sure is an issue with the Java System theme on OS X, as it works properly with the Metal theme on OS X and others I've tried on other OSes. There also are a few places where graphical elements don't fit correctly because they take more space in the System theme on OS X, and the editor doesn't currently compensate in most places. Those will gradually be resolved as the editor is modified to be resolution-independent. Finally, instead of a question mark on question pop-ups, there's a coffee cup (or, a cup of Java) - again, probably an odd themeing issue with the OS X System theme, as the ? appears on Metal. But those all work as expected with the default theme, and also all appear to be issues with the theme (and thus are Apple or Oracle issues), so I'm not going to focus on them if they aren't causing issues for someone else. If there is demand, I'll likely look into the Quaqua theme, which may solve many or all of these issues while looking equally or more Mac-like.

The blank entries, and possible issues with always being prompted for install location and not being able to open folders, are thus the priorities. I can check for these again on the PowerBook; I don't recall seeing them there, but I wasn't specifically looking for them either.

I do suspect I may have to put Intel OS X on real hardware to really get trustworthy test results. On the plus side, old non-unibody MacBooks that can run 10.11 are not that expensive anymore, and I've also read of successful OS X installs on my HP notebook, so there may be multiple options, although unless an HP install goes very smoothly, I'll probably release 0.99 first.

I'll be doing a bit more testing with new 0.99 features on OS X (at least in the VM) prior to release, as well as on Linux.

A little boxy, true, but the only blank entry is the home folder, which I overwrote in MSPaint.
Not sure what you mean? The image has been altered?

But I didn't encounter any blank entries. Not sure what the difference might be.
I have taken and could post a bunch of screenshots. Don't think that would help troubleshoot the problem though - would it? I could also screen record - but again I'm not sure seeing the image would help identify the source of the problem.

What I did note that seemed odd was that I was unable to open folders within the open/save dialogs. Double-clicking them didn't have any effect. Have you encountered this?
Yup. Frustrating as hell. Can't really navigate the directory structure. It's frustrating enough at times that I've gone to the extent of creating a new folder near the top level to hold files I'm working on. I had just assumed it was part of the same problem as the disappearing menu items. Maybe they're unrelated since you are getting one & not the other.

Reflecting on what actually happens - maybe a brief screen recording would help ?

Not sure what you mean? The image has been altered?

I removed my (real-life) name from the home folder for privacy reasons. Not so much because I care about it being visible on CFC, as because CFC is searchable to anyone on the Internet.

I have taken and could post a bunch of screenshots. Don't think that would help troubleshoot the problem though - would it? I could also screen record - but again I'm not sure seeing the image would help identify the source of the problem.

Yup. Frustrating as hell. Can't really navigate the directory structure. It's frustrating enough at times that I've gone to the extent of creating a new folder near the top level to hold files I'm working on. I had just assumed it was part of the same problem as the disappearing menu items. Maybe they're unrelated since you are getting one & not the other.

Reflecting on what actually happens - maybe a brief screen recording would help ?

It couldn't hurt; the part I'm particularly curious about is whether this is a general problem (all drop downs?) or specific to certain areas. I think you mentioned on a previous page that it wasn't limited to just the open/save dialogs, but I don't recall you saying it was universal, either. Either a series of images, if it's consistent which ones it's affecting, or perhaps a recording if it isn't, may be helpful in at least narrowing down the problem.

The directory structure one is definitely a top-priority issue; I may have missed that in a post before or not realized it was separate from the blank entries (which I'm suspecting it is since I got it without the blank entries). It surprises me since I'm reusing a standard Java component there, but it does seem to be reproducible. I think my plan here is to create a very small program to test just that component, see if it happens, and go from there. There also would be options to either use a newer-school component (since I'll be using a newer version of Java in 0.99, which likely has its own new-school open/save dialog built in), or create one of my own. But now that it's confirmed that it's not just some weird virtual machine issue, it's definitely something I'll look into before making the next update, as it needs to be fixed.

-------------

Update: I've done some testing, and have determined that not being able to double-click the folders appears to be an issue with the file chooser on Java with OS X. Typically, the clunky alternative of clicking on a folder and choosing "Open" will work, but there's an issue where on OS X the file filter (such as for only showing .biq files) is also causing it to not allowing the opening of folders. Even if a file filter fix could be found, though, it would still be clunky without the double-click option.

There is another, older file open/save dialog in Java, which seems to be working more like I would expect a file save/open dialog to work when testing in OS X. Apple describes it as "look[ing] much like a Finder window in OS X", and it actually looks a fair amount more native on Windows, too. So, I think I'll probably wind up switching to that, at least on OS X, and possibly in general as well. That should solve the folder-opening issues.

-------------

Update 2: Also verified that this issue was not reproducible on the PowerBook running OS X 10.4.11 with Java 5. So, I wasn't going crazy when I thought I'd seen it working. :crazyeye: I was using the exact same 0.98 editor on both 10.9 Intel and 10.4 PowerPC, so somewhere along the line something broke, whether it was with a Java or OS X update.

Separate post since I was able to reproduce the blank dropdown issue.

I decided to try the Apple Java 6 runtime on Mavericks instead of the Oracle Java 8 runtime, since I was curious if the older one would still have the double-click and folder-open issues (it did... so I guess Oracle is off the hook for breaking it). With the Apple Java runtime, I was able to reproduce the blank dropdown issue. It's sort of funky - if I mouse down over the dropdown, it will populate the data, and if move the mouse back up, they disappear. And sometimes it's vice versa - up will populate, down will make them disappear. At any rate, I was able to reproduce it that way.

You can see which version you are using in the log.txt file that the editor creates in its folder after it runs. You can search for a line that includes "Java vendor:". It will say Oracle Corporation for the newer version on Mavericks, and Sun Microsystems Inc. for the older Apple version. I'd recommend updating to the Oracle one if have the older Apple one, not just because it fixes that bug, but both because the next version will need the new Oracle version for all its features, and because the new version will have a number of security updates, which will be beneficial if the Java web browser plugins are enabled (although you can disable the browser plugins completely and not lose any functionality with the editor, since it's a desktop Java application and not a browser-based one).

Top Bottom