The Deity Challenge Line-up #32 - England

Please use spoiler tag if you name civs!

Two caps at T115 is terrific! I will have barely started by then. I just don’t think that squares with what consentient meant in context by “early”.

My complaint is having to go through forest or jungle first. Which is why I was waiting for an invite from one or the other before kicking things off. I really want to be able to make use of the clear terrain between them.

Yeah, the bit of jungle sucks but tbh, it took maybe 5 turns to make my 5 LBs/2swords/horsemen army to get through it between the 2 CSs. Not like it's a massive disadvantage, especially when the actual terrain for battle is gonna make the fight a real no brainer. I had a city planted north right below Bucarest for wine and to bother
Spoiler :
Venice
so i upgraded there and went north east through forest to arrive on the best spot.

Yeah, the bit of jungle sucks but tbh, it took maybe 5 turns to make my 5 LBs/2swords/horsemen army to get through it between the 2 CSs. Not like it's a massive disadvantage, especially when the actual terrain for battle is gonna make the fight a real no brainer.

Without an invite to mutually DOW, I was more worried about triggering the DOW-or-pledge-peace demand. That paranoia hung up my whole last game, which is how I ended up waiting on Rocket Launchers.

road ahead of time economically viable?

Yes, income is good enough. I wish I had been working on that sooner! Have you looked at the map?

Spoiler :
road ahead of time economically viable ?

Spoiler :
i'm a bit torn on this. Never done this pre-road strat before even though i admired the work in Acken's chinese LP. Wasnt sure if i was gonna take medina and my units actually took a route to get in position that would never be a road usable for city connection later on. So perhaps with a different approach but in my case, it wasnt. Also my 6 or so workers were busy on (probably late) internal roads and tiles. Also, gold wasnt great.

I'd say that on continent, the pre-road strat aint as valuable as distances are shorter. But i guess it really depends on the dirt.

Without an invite to mutually DOW, I was more worried about trigger the DOW-or-pledge-peace demand. That paranoia hung up my whole last game, which is how I ended up waiting on Rocket Launchers.

Yes, income is good enough. I wish I had been working on that sooner! Have you looked at the map?

Damn, didnt have that much gold myself lol. I think my internal routes with the happiness shortage for five cities made me a bit gold starving.

As for the DOW or pledge peace demand, i stayed 6/8 turns between the 2 CSs pretty close to its border but always with one tile distance between my units and its borders. Seems that as long as you dont "touch" the borders you're fine which is dumb as i was really obvious there lol. When i DOWed i was able to get outside of CSs range (which were allied with "youknowwho") and get close to the spots i needed to target the capitol.

When i'm done with this game, i might load some auto saves to make a screenshot history of my game. I always forget to do screens periodically.

When i DOWed i was able to get outside of CSs range (which were allied with "youknowwho") and get close to the spots i needed to target the capitol.

Dancing around the CS was also part of my problem/hesitation.

The map is ... odd. Seems like I (and others) should have had an easier time with it than I (we) did. But I can’t put my finger on the difficulties. I am not really tempted to try 6+ city Liberty after my 4 city Tradition runs. There is decent enough space, but it went so poorly for ST412!

About to finish the Venice game

Great! Looking forward to that! Thanks in advance!

You can actually get triple shooting CKN. Well at least you can get logistics on top of their UA. But you wont ever have the movement point required to actually use the third shot as they only have 2.

Oh I see.. Unless Persian golden age :lol:

t302 SV

Spoiler :

Went Order, won World's Fair, everything was going well until...

Around turn 270, I got triple DOW'ed by Cathy/Enrico/Harun... I literally got bombed twenty times every turn and I was forced to sell Canterbury to Darius, then bribe him with all my remaining GPT to go to war with them.

That also put me into permanent unhappiness because all my trade routes were down, half the CS were at war, and conveniently Enrico and Harun had the luxuries I needed.

Still, tech lead plus bribing Darius saves the day and in the end I massed mechanized infantry, fighters, tanks and missile cruisers and managed to force a white peace and win the SV.

T262 Domination

Spoiler :

Not very fast win but still very enjoyable. Very good civ for domination with great units.

Started with 3 city liberty. Waited till longbows, then captured Mecca and Palenque.

I did not touch Venice at first since he was a great trading partner.

Karakorum captured using using SoL. Then Persepolis and Beijing using already artillery. I do not remember the exact turn but it was rather late and the play was more science game oriented rather than domination.

Then Venice with my 2nd army on the same continent. And last but not least Moscow with artilleries, landships and machine guns. Already had battleships in action and bombers building.

Policies: Full Liberty, Rationalism, Commerce opener.
Order: all happinness tenets and workers' faculties.

Liberty GE was used for ND (surprisingly ;)) Most of the game happiness was not a problem, I had -10 at worst when AIs started picking ideologies.

And the worst part of the game: I ignored Big Ben for so long and when I finally decided to build it I lost it by 1 turn to AI :D

Thanks for the map.

Attachments

• dcl_england_sun1.jpg
    dcl_england_sun1.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 461
  • dcl_england_sun2.jpg
    dcl_england_sun2.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 406
Thanks, all VCs completed :) I would probably go for domination more often but games tend to take like 2x more time than when going other VC. Sure it is possible to do a CB/Xbow rush but I'd prefer a specific map and civ for that.

T171 Boredom Quit

Spoiler :
Going Honor and struggling would have been more fun than what I ended up doing: going Peaceful Tall; realising CV was nigh-on impossible (for a player of my limited CV abilities); missing the window for SotL rush; missing the window for anything except turtling with poor economy, poor production, negligible faith and even limited growth towards either X-COMs or shoddy SV/DiploV.

If there was action amongst the AIs it would have been a bearable distraction, but as it was they were just wonder spamming and doing little else. I was hoping Wu would reduce Karakoram to 1HP for me so I could nip in and capture it and then start an actual warpath, but as it was I just ended up landing myself in precisely the kind of game I most loathe. I should have trusted my instincts. I guess cuz it was an LP I thought about taking some risks, but all it did was take the fun out of it and make it boring, sorry.

If there is someone (maybe a player that finds Deity somewhat tricky) that wants a midgame save because they really struggle with the early game, then feel free to use my save. It's not the best position, but completely winnable by SV/DiploV or lategame Domination.

You have hit the Modern Era, chosen Freedom, and are friends with almost everyone, except one who you are at war with and might get a nice deal out of if you build units. Alternatively, you could conquer them ;)

@Acken:
Spoiler :
In future, would you consider removing ice from the maps? I used to do it, and it makes things a lot more flexible. It takes some of the surprise out of the game as you know the overall shape, but if you're careful about it, you can avoid seeing where the settlers are and just concentrate on zapping the ice.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 20.12.01.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 20.12.01.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 179
  • Elizabeth_0171 AD-1110.Civ5Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 131
I started to play this game again and I managed to snag a religion along with Sistine Chapel, but I doubt I'll play it out. Guild before Theology, Accoustics after Edu.

Currently playing an H-C-A attempt and at turn 168 it's looking promising, so expect a writeup within a few days.

Spoiler :
As a fan of pre-building roads, here I'm finding that England's UA makes them mostly unnecessary; 5 movement on water quickly speeds units up to Arabia or over to the eastern continent. It's turning out to be a nice money saver in that respect, though a little bit of road here and there helps out.

So i played a really awfull endgame considering how my start was imo really good. I screwed up my approach but hey, only the result matters right.

I also think i played for too long as at some point i just started not paying any attention to details such as ideology pressure and just autoed the workers and put cities n wealth production where i could have scrub a nice amount of turns by being more focused and anticipating some future needs.

For the fun story, i actually lost a city.......to a city state :lol: It was the one i used for archer training early so i guess it's fair ! It was near the marble south of my cap.

Anyway, screenshots below. ERF, seems my print screen failed me. No shot of my original continent, will add it tomorrow night as i'm beat right now and need sleep

Spoiler :

I can't believe I have not been able to try this for sure on this map, but I think you can get both promotions...

Nope, the UU special is just the standard range promotion. So after 3 terrain promotions, there is choice for logistics, march, or the other terrain type.

Nope, the UU special is just the standard range promotion. So after 3 terrain promotions, there is choice for logistics, march, or the other terrain type.

I confirm. I also confirm that +1 range machine guns with logistics and march are nice :D

Restarted to try a domination sweep. No screenshot but since it went kind of crap, I need some advice, and I'll provide a screenshot later because I'm at work now. Anyway:

Spoiler :

3 city Liberty setup, cranked out around 10 guys + melee meatshields. Opened Machinery around 100 and poof and used workers to clear out a path between the pair of CSs to Arabia. Needless to say, I completely blindsided the cap and stomped it in 2 turns. However, he managed to ally the pair of CSs, which cut off my reinforcements. That didn't matter much because I wasn't having any casualties BUT he managed to reinforce his expo from 25 to 45 and the jungle terrain works in his favour. But I need both his expos so clear a way to the Mayans. In the meantime I'm making a run for Navigation, and I hope to have ships before 150 and try to stomp some guys on the other side.

Any tips would be sweet :)

Restarted to try a domination sweep. No screenshot but since it went kind of crap, I need some advice, and I'll provide a screenshot later because I'm at work now. Anyway:

Spoiler :

3 city Liberty setup, cranked out around 10 guys + melee meatshields. Opened Machinery around 100 and poof and used workers to clear out a path between the pair of CSs to Arabia. Needless to say, I completely blindsided the cap and stomped it in 2 turns. However, he managed to ally the pair of CSs, which cut off my reinforcements. That didn't matter much because I wasn't having any casualties BUT he managed to reinforce his expo from 25 to 45 and the jungle terrain works in his favour. But I need both his expos so clear a way to the Mayans. In the meantime I'm making a run for Navigation, and I hope to have ships before 150 and try to stomp some guys on the other side.

Any tips would be sweet :)

Spoiler :
Hard to help without a screen of the expos tbh. Perhaps go for an interesting peace treaty and smash him in 10 turns with full power even if that means losing 1/2 units ? I know i only took his cap first as the path to Palenque was open and quite close west of it. Did he actually set another expo between Mecqua and Palenque ?

Can you get mayans to war him alongside you ? May be helpfull to distract units, maybe draw city bombardments to mayan units ? Also, the cost of paying him to war Arabia doesnt matter as you'll DOW him quite soon.

As for ships, dont do the same mistake i did, go quickly. I arrived to Beijin at turn 190 and the 90 defense was a pain to deal with. I lost 2/3 SoTLs and had to get Persia to war with me to draw damage.

Dont underestimate science output, you'll probably need artillery. I know i did. Oh and Persia crapped out air units at me which made my campaign a lot less pleasant (especially as he had wipe out mongolia so i had to take 2 caps from him...)

Also, watch out for Venice. The basterd DOWed me once... though not really a big issue, if you're caught totally unguarded it will hurt.

Good luck

Top Bottom