The Deity Challenge Line-up #32 - England

¿What is the tech order you choose when you go for a LB rush? Beeline education and then go for it? Go first to Philosophy, then LB and then education? Any other?

As her Throne grew smaller in size
She wished a new and more glorious one
It would be made from bones of dead children
"Father... is this what you wanted?"

They marched at dawn, the sun never did set
Chaos remained where people once lived
As mayhem engulfed the surrounding lands
"Where is your God now?"

One by one, they felt the might
Trail of blood was all that was left
As the last of them was hunted down
"Only Hell would follow me!"

I hope you didn't find my poetry that horrible :lol:

Spoiler :

The entire game was a kind of a perfect storm. I had next to no resistance due to constant fighting on the other end. So, after I stomped Arabia and Mayans, I set foot on the other continent, stomped Mongolia and had my ships swing around the back of Beijing and take it from the sea. Venice and Mayans double teamed me but they are pushovers, nobody even came close, and my ships made short work of the Blind Man.

Persia were severely weakened by their war with Russia and China, so Persepolis fell easily, the road was clear and only a handful of muskets was defending. By that time, my Longbows all had Logistics so he didn't stand a chance.

It was then time to take on the Gargantua. All this time, Cathy was free to turtle up, being isolated up north, but constant war with the neighbors and my CS allies spread her out just enough for me to gain the edge. She offered the southern expo for peace, which I accepted, and used new territory to upgrade all cannons to arty.

The fire sale took care of the happiness issues, and I was free to begin one last attack. The longbows served me well in the campaign but they were the meatshields in this siege.

In the end, the suicide charge on Moscow worked, she had the Great Wall, the Brandenburg Gate and possibly Himeji, didn't check. But I completely forgot that Arty has indirect fire, so in setting up for a hill strike, I realized all I needed was an disposable spotter, and luckily I had 3 workers sitting around. Arties made short work of the 88 str city and then not even the Wall could stop a single lone cavalry sentry medic :D

LOL! And you told me you couldn't do a Let's Play because you weren't a native English speaker - with that poetry I think you could rival most!!!

Haha. Nice win also ST.

Yeah he's totally invalidated his excuse, tbh.

I'm an English teacher, including some creative writing and none of my advanced students has ever produced anything as good as that. :)

@TsiNaPah: For a longbow rush, like any xbow rush, Philosophy into Machinery is the most effective because the earlier the better. Depending on tech deficit and lands, you can then go either straight to Civil Service and Education or, if not Tradition, possibly pick up Engineering for aqueducts first. I like the aqueducts to be built before Civil Service growth kicks in. I find that teching for Workshops before Education makes the science defecit to severe; the higher production isn't worth it since you've already delayed Education by a lot.

I do what Consentient does for a living and couldn't agree more on the poetry front :)

oh you guys :lol:

anyways, my tech path was luxury techs -> construction -> (first upgrade) -> philosophy -> NC with 3 cities all working round the clock -> machinery -> civil service -> education -> navigation -> beeline to dynamite -> sell universities to save money

Spoiler :
5 cities liberty,commerce.I waited to get my long bows to Dow the Arabs,the went for palenque that had all the goodies,venice was next,mongolia for training my ships,Chinese and the last 2 with Artillery. I forgot to lock my growth after Palenque and was unhappy for a long time.I only lost on unit on the last turn rushing to finish
Great game

Attachments

• Lysy.jpg
    Lysy.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 159
Diplomatic Victory Turn 273

The land was too much trouble for me to play with Longbows so I turtled for SV. Later I realized that Diplo Cheese would be faster and decided to take it on the second vote.

Attachments

• England Diplomatic.jpg
    England Diplomatic.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 135
Too bad, you can't really feel how good the Stormbows are until you've tried them out. Personally, I like them much better than the CKN, I guess I value range over double tap :lol:

I really enjoyed your write-ups st412. It might be enough to try HAC again on this map. I was happy to finally get a Dom V, but I really didn't feel like I got enough from the LBs.

beeline to dynamite -> sell universities to save money

You didn't say so, prolly because you think it is obvious, but did you Oxford dynamite? Or did you never bother with Oxford?

Ah. Well, I wanted and planned to Oxford dynamite and you definitely SHOULD do that but in all the mayhem I forgot about it entirely, and I burned a GS for the tech before it, Military Science is it? So I guess I should have gotten Dynamite at least 15 turns earlier but I don't think it would have mattered because I capped 2-3 cities in that period and that actually funded my magic trick of turning crap cannons to awesome arty. Man, I still can't believe I didn't know about the whole Indirect fire thing

SV T225

Spoiler :

Decided on tradition as there is time enough to expand with only Venice close. Stole 2 workers from Arabia, 5 from Ur.
Got:
Edu T106
Scientific Method T155
Radio (Oxford) ~T161
Plastic (Ratio finisher) T183
Apollo T205

First time i really took care of faith output and that paid off with 2 GS and a GE bought. GE bought at T224, great timing as i finished particle physics that turn.
It's not as if i didn't reload this game :). I'm still learning Civ5 and especially the ending from plastics on was replayed a few times learning a great deal in the process.

Happiness was tricky this game but never became a major problem as i had planned on Colosseums/Circus Maximus quite early
(built some colosseums before T100 finished Maximus around T120 iirc).
After founding Warwick around T120 and growing this city fast i was close enough to ideology (Order) to put an end to happy problems.

Last time i did freedom, it's true that you can grow your cities really fast with this ideology but there's not so much time left in the game once you get there.
With so many cities order felt better because of the cheap science factories.
Buying spaceparts with gold is ok but i could finish the last parts in 2 turns anyway with 2 GE, one from space pioneers one faith bought.
Maybe sometimes you can buy an extra GS instead of the GE (which is big indeed, shaving off ~6 turns), not in my game though because i accumulated exactly 4000 faith.
If you handle production right it all seems to come down to your science handling anyway.

Cannons are not crap if you get them straight after Machinery. They are devastating. And promoted Honor cannons make the best Artillery. First three with Cannons then yummy Logistics

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2nd Try: Looking for DomV. T206

Spoiler :
OK, so restarted and tried to do things different in order to achieve my first Domination Victory on Deity.
This time I went for three cities and Honor (never tried honor and wanted to see how it works). My start has been a bit slow. Bought the settler with the 500 from El Dorado. Got the NC by turn 100 and LB by turn 120. Bribed Pacal to DoW Arabia. Upgraded my archers (who had been training with barbs and UR) and went for Arabia (my army was 6 LBs 2 horsemen and 2 swordsmen). I travelled by sea around Mogadisicio to engage La Meca from the east. I took it at turn 147 and signed peace after taking Medina. From there I waited until turn 165 to DoW Pacal (when the DoF was finished). Before that I bribed Pacal to DoW Venice. Palenque was taken at T174 and Tikal at 179. Signed peace and got ready for the other continent. I keep Venice alive to be a trade parnter. I´ll deal with them at the end.

After Education I beelined for the SotL tech, built 9 of them and went to choose my first victim. I was struggling with happiness, and my relations with most of the other civs were not so good. They met me before taking Pacal, so I had some warmengoing penalty with all except Mongolia and Venice. But Mongolia was the weekest and his capital was coastal and very close, so it was the best choice. I wanted to use this war to improve relations so I waited until Russia and China DoWed him, I then bribed Persia to do the same and voilá, when I enter the war I share the "we fight the same enemy" thing that I hope will improve my relations with them. I Dowed at T199, took care of the ships first and bombed Karakorum with my SotL and a couple of LB who got close through the SE. The mongol capital fell easier than I thought and I took it at T206 and signed peace for everything they had. On the tech tree I just got to ST at T200. This is the point where I´m at.

I think that I´m going slowlier than I should and that my cities are smaller than they should be, but I´m confident that I can get this one going. I´m thinking on getting artillery and going from there, or waiting for flight and do it with bombers. What do you think? Any feedback you would like to share with me?

I have a couple of questions besides this DCL.
1.- How do you take and post screenshots? I do it with an online converter from TGA to JPG but it seems very slowly.
2.- Last night I watched som Acken and Consentient LPs. I see that your screen for CivV is different than mine. I don´t have any information from other civs or CS at the right side of the screen and the top part is also different. Is it another version of the game, is an ingame option I can´t find or is it a some mod or tool you have installed?

@Olodune, @peddroelm, @stormstrooper412, @bimblecrumbs thank you for the feedback.

@consentient thank you for the welcome

@acken thank you for the map

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0003.jpg
    Civ5Screen0003.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Civ5Screen0002.jpg
    Civ5Screen0002.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 138
^F12 works fine for me. The screenshots go to the steam screenshots folder:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\70526951\760\remote\8930\screenshots" on my computer.

steam has configurable screen shot key that will take screenshots (.jpg) from any steam games ..

Even with windows print screen key pasting in paint you can save it as jpg (assuming it doesn't capture a black screen ) ..

google "civilization V UI mod" free and easy to install .

Your domination attempt seems on track ..

First Domination Victory Ever on Deity at T328

Spoiler :
OK so I finally could pull this out. After taking Arabia, Mayas and Karakorum, I had to decide who to attack next. Russia had the biggest army but China and Persia had gone Autocracy, so in order to keep them friends I chose autocracy also and went for Russia (bribed China 10 turns before to soften them up). Went for a coastal cityt with my upgraded SotL and took it in one turn. My artillery made the rest and Moscow fell by T 271. Time to recover happiness and think the next moves.

Venice started being a pain in the .... when she bought all the CS and started to be a clear and present danger and candidate for a Diplo Victory, so my new bombers and my battlleships (former SotL) practiced their shooting with Enrico and he fell at T 297. Just at the same time, China started building spaceship parts, so I bribed Persia to DoW her and I prepared to take Persia. Again, I started with a coastal city wich fell in one turn with my battleships and bombers and took Persepolis 4 turns later, after cleaning out the field. At T320 I took the third city from Persia, wich was the key to conquer Pekin being only three tiles away. So at T328 I DoWed, bombed with my ultra powered battleships and my fresh new promoted stealh bombers and walked into Pekin in the very same turn, securing my first domintation win on Deity.

Really fun game, England is a great civ to try a domination victory on continents. For the first time ever I went Honor (after operning tradition) and tried to get the best use from the english UUs and UA.

Thank you all for the advice and for the map. This was my first DCL and I will be playing many more for sure. I have started enjoying CivV much more since I learned how to use all the posibilities in the game reading all your DCL stories, guides, LPs..., and it´s great to be part of such an amazing comunity.

Next challenge will be to try my first Cultural Victory with the Russian DCL. I´ve played 80 turns and I´m going Piety for the first time ever (got Sacred Sites already, so it´s looking good). I can´t play as many hours as most of you (I have a very time consuming job and two very very very time consuming little girls) so I have to pick wisely my games. Again, any advice from you will be welcome.

Thank you all and see you at the next DCL :)

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0005.jpg
    Civ5Screen0005.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 203
  • Civ5Screen0006.jpg
    Civ5Screen0006.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 206
268 Diplo

This is my second DCL. Thanks everybody. I get something usefull from all the posts.

Spoiler :

4 cities. Tradition + Explo (2 picks) + Rationalism and Order.
I planned for a Domination victory.
I conquered Venice, than started a war with Arabia with Maya as an ally.
I took too much time. When I conquered Arabia I was hostile for every civs except Maya.
I was not confident in a total war against the other continent, so I went for SV.
Though I had Forbidden Palace, World Religion and World Ideology and while pursuing SV I landed on a fairly simple vote.

The final vote
2015-07-25_00001.jpg

Demographics
2015-07-25_00003.jpg

Original empire
2015-07-25_00004.jpg

Conquest
2015-07-25_00005.jpg

This should be the first DomV for me on the DCL. Originally tried T250ish SV on this map but decided to replay it for DomV since England is very strong.

Spoiler :

Started with LB rush on Arabia and in the meantime, liberated one of Mayan cities. Made peace after capturing both Mecca and Medina which was required to access Maya by land.
Next moved my LB to attack Venice when I saw he was getting ready to steal my CS with MoV. He was very easy target and got the crucial GLH, CI and FP for the next part. Insane warmonger hate after wiping out Venice as that was his only city. Finished Big Ben around the same time. LB was farming off Palenque and I finished it off with artillery.
My SotL was quite late as I didn't plan out the tech path correctly. So I decided to wait for autocracy and rush ranged SotL with the +xp tenet.

SotL farmed xp off Mongolia and after taking his SoZ, upgraded all SotL to battleships and pretty much stomped the map. I did not scout correctly and thought that Moscow was accessible with battleships and that delayed me by many turns. Carriers with air support was really for China but it wasn't needed anyway, just made capturing Moscow a lot faster.

Attachments

• 2015-07-24_00003.jpg
    2015-07-24_00003.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 219
  • 2015-07-24_00001.jpg
    2015-07-24_00001.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 2015-07-24_00005.jpg
    2015-07-24_00005.jpg
    491.7 KB · Views: 135
T178 Domination Victory

This map suited my play well. Being Continents, I tried to use both UUs significantly: didn't use the ship as much as I expected to and extra spy didn't make a difference.

Brief timeline and some comments
Early game, I sent 1 caravan out for science ASAP (build 3rd city specifically to be in range of a civ that wouldn't be my first target) and 1 food cargo ship to capital
T73 built a 4city NC. Good production in the capital - I moved onto hill and connected marble; also built Pyramids
T77 finished Liberty and also completed Oracle in York; planted GS
I wasn't in Medieval yet for Oracle so I ended up going Patronage.
Took out first civ (closest) with Composite bows; took my time, building up XP and building roads while teching towards Longbows.
T89 Machinery. Getting 2-3 incoming TR was very helpful
Upgraded and conquered civ to the West, finishing off the last city with just a few units while the main army went to finish off the continent - UU of final nearby civ slowed me down a bit, but my CS cultural ally helped
T109 Education. I got excited to try and micromanage and time my next policy for an early Renaissance, only later realizing that by going Acoustics (T119) I was delaying Astronomy, so that was a mistake!
I left 1 city remaining on my continent for a while, using it to get Logistics on some units. I met 3/4 from other continent before finishing them off and seemed to get significant diplomatic hate from 2 of them for killing off this civ that they never even met. Weird.
T136 Navigation. I conquered a weak cap (civ was at war with rest of continent when we met) with ships, but otherwise only killed off some units and messed around with naval. 3/4 caps on other continent were 100% attacked by land units; I never fully explored the continent coast line.
For a while, my intentions were to conquer every city (but not CS), but I opted to leave a few and get some sleep, so I allowed a few other red cities to survive.
Upgraded to Gatling Guns for the final 3-4 cities. Aside from starting warrior, the land army was always ranged units and horses; I seldom build seige unless I get to dynamite.
Good map. I'd like to play a start like this with stronger nearby opponents.

Spoiler :

Top Bottom