List of Mac-compatible MODs

Skippy_Kangaroo

Prince of Denmark
Please post links to MODs that have been tested and will work on the Mac version of Civilization IV in this thread. Feel free to include a brief description of the MOD and any relevant Mac-specific installation information.

This thread shouldn't be for discussion of MODs or about testing of the MODs; just a single post per MOD allowing people to quickly browse through the confirmed compatible MODs and get the files.

Most MODs can probably be installed manually, but AlanH has been working on a drag and drop MOD installer which you can obtain from here. It will only currently install mods that will work as CustomAssets. The mod has to be supplied as a zip file with 'CustomAssets' as its top level folder.

- Download it and open the disk image.

- Drag the Mod Installer application to /Applications/ and launch it.

- Select Civilization IV in the popup menu at the top. It should look for Civ4 on your hard drive and show it as an entry in the window.

- If this doesn't happen, drag your /Applications/Civilization IV/ folder into the window.

- When your Civ4 folder is listed in the Mod Installer window, drag the MOD as a .zip file onto its icon. Confirm that you want to proceed, and it should install the MOD in the appropriate folder.

-------------------------------------------------------------

First cab off the rank, Blue Marble, written by Kai Fiebach aka ColdFever (and thanks to AlanH for his efforts to make it available to us Mac users). Blue Marble provides a replacement set of terrain tiles. You can find more information about Blue Marble at this site or in this thread.

Here is the thread covering the test version of the mod for Macs, and using the Mod Installer. The links in that thread will be updated when ColdFever provides a Mac page on the Blue Marble site.

It seems that the Dutch patch might work, I just cant get it into the right setting. It overwrites two other files wich I just cant seem to fix.

Moderator Action:
Quote: "This thread shouldn't be for discussion of MODs or about testing of the MODs"

Please set up another thread to discuss how to get the "Dutch Patch" to work ... whatever it is :) Come back and post here when you know it works.

Better Ship Scales works on the Mac version of Civ-IV.

This mod alters the relative sizes of ships to make modern ships larger and more ancient ships smaller. There are two versions, one which keeps the single ship per unit icons (v1.0) and one which adds multiple ships per unit (v2.2).

Installation: Drop the unzipped mod folder into your custom assets folder.

Uninstallation: Remove the files from your custom assets folder; hold down [SHIFT] the next time you start up to flush the cached xml from the mod.

Hi,
So in an effort to figure out what is wrong with sevomod. I have tested a number of smaller mods that make part of it.

So here are the ones that work out of the box:
Sevopedia-1.93 Civilopedia enhacement.
TechWindowEnhancement-1.a This mod improves the TechWindow which is shown When you get a new Tech.

Unzip and place in your CustomAssets folder.

Note that none of these alter your gameplay, they are just enhancements to elements already there.

Platypus

ps. I'll post in a minute the ones that do need changes

Ok, so in the next set I found out something fundamental. The following mods rely on a feature of python 2.4 but the Mac has 2.3 :( . Luckily enough just one small thing needs change.

The mods where this occurs are:
1) Modified Special Domestic Advisor 1.8e
2) Exotic Foreign Advisor 0.86

The recipe is the following look for set() and replace by sets.Set(), add 'import sets' at the beginning of the file with the other imports.

The files that need modification are:
1) CustomAssets/Python/Screens/CvModSpecialDomesticAdvisor.py
line 184 goes from self.COLOR_SET = set() to self.COLOR_SET = sets.Set()
Add line 21: import sets
2) CustomAssets/Python/Screens/CvExoticForeignAdvisor.py
line 861 goes from stActiveTechCanResearch = set() to stActiveTechCanResearch = sets.Set()
line 884, 885, 886:
stTechWants = set() to stTechWants = sets.Set()
stTechCanTrade = set() to stTechCanTrade = sets.Set()
stTechHas = set() to stTechHas = sets.Set()
Add line 8: import sets

As usual replace your CustomAssets folder. Again this does not change your gameplay they are enhacements to the screens. This set makes the advisors actually useful.

Of course you might want them combined. I will post my version of that soon. [Edit] You can find all 4 mods in one folder here (towards a PlatyMod?? :king: ) .

Platypus

Hi all,
Even though there seems to be a lack of interest in the mods thread, I'll keep posting. I know everyone is still getting the bearings on the non-modded game and playing frantically.

The good news is, I think I have another step forward to getting more mods compatible with the Mac.

Go to the Civ4lerts thread and download the zip file. Follow instructions to install as a MOD or in CustomAssets folder. You will need to replace the CvPath.py file in the CustomAssets/python directory with the attached version. In there you will have to replace the string: /Applications/MyGames/Civilization IV for the location of your game folder.

If anybody has a windows machine and you could test this file there as well would be great. So that we can submit it to the Civ4lerts people and make it a permanent change.

Enjoy,
Platypus

ps. Alan, this is the change to the library for the paths you mentioned. However this does not fix the XML problems in CivMore or Sevomod.

View attachment CvPath.py.txt

platypus said:
Hi all,
Even though there seems to be a lack of interest in the mods thread, I'll keep posting. I know everyone is still getting the bearings on the non-modded game and playing frantically.

I believe there is much interest. I can name you many Mods that do not work from me trying fruitlessly to try different ones, but I thought the purpose of this thread was to report WORKING mods - of which I conclude is very few to date. You seem to be confusing a lack of posts with lack of interest.

Until someone figures out a unifed method of converting PC mods, I think there will be few posts of working Mods.

Nik420 said:
I believe there is much interest. I can name you many Mods that do not work from me trying fruitlessly to try different ones, but I thought the purpose of this thread was to report WORKING mods - of which I conclude is very few to date. You seem to be confusing a lack of posts with lack of interest.

Until someone figures out a unifed method of converting PC mods, I think there will be few posts of working Mods.

i agree, i would really love to play mods !!!

I've been using these two mods over the last couple days without any issues so far:

Ethnically Diverse Units
(great mod!)

and

Blue Marble
(which has already been mentioned here)

(I've tried a handful of user-made civs, and most seem to work after you weed your way through all the error messages when they load. Usually there's something missing, like the flag, and I've never bothered to risk investing time in a full game using a civ mod yet.)

-ow

platypus said:
Go to the Civ4lerts thread and download the zip file. Follow instructions to install as a MOD or in CustomAssets folder. You will need to replace the CvPath.py file in the CustomAssets/python directory with the attached version. In there you will have to replace the string: /Applications/MyGames/Civilization IV for the location of your game folder.

If anybody has a windows machine and you could test this file there as well would be great. So that we can submit it to the Civ4lerts people and make it a permanent change.

Enjoy,
Platypus

ps. Alan, this is the change to the library for the paths you mentioned. However this does not fix the XML problems in CivMore or Sevomod.

View attachment 134879

I've now worked out what I believe is a successful alternative fix to CvPath.py that requires no editing. It should find your installation directory automatically. I've submitted it in the Civ4lerts mod thread as a proposed replacement in that and other mods.

The Ancient Mediterranean Mod (TAM) loads after some fixes. See this thread

Dale's Age of Discovery works. See this thread

My GOTM/HOF beta seems to be holding up so far. You might care to give it a try?

AlanH said:
Dale's Age of Discovery works. See this thread

Sorry folks, but you won't be able to use AoD 1.12 with Pirates & Traders. I've had to make DLL changes due to the new missions and AI coding.

I'll leave 1.00 on the DL database for you and upload 1.12 seperately for Windoze.

Dale

Thanks for letting us know, Dale. Congratulations on your award, by the way :goodjob:

I really want to play Total Realism MOD, but there's no indication as to when a port over to Mac will be available.

Come on Aspyr, let's at least get the Warlords patch happening!

Any other mods work on Mac yet?

The Better AI mod runs as well. At least, I was successful in loading the Warlords version w/out the app crashing.

The Better AI mod runs as well. At least, I was successful in loading the Warlords version w/out the app crashing.

Virtually all of the Better AI mod is in the DLL file. :cry: The only exception is the HandicapInfos file. Sorry.

Top Bottom