The Deity Challenge Line-up #28 - Russia

Acken

Deity
There is now a thread to express yourself if you have remarks and ideas:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=546469

Welcome to the Deity Challenge Line-up!

- The spreadsheet of all challenge finishers to date has been updated and is available here.
Rules:
Spoiler :

This was a fortnightly event, but the schedule has changed and new games will now be posted every 10 days.

- All the games in this series are set to Deity difficulty.
- User civilizations, maps, and opponents change with each challenge, but the game speed is always set to Standard and the starting era is always Ancient.
- We try for a variety of starts
- This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions.
- If you complete 5 challenges, your name will be added to the 'Top Finishers' list.

* We welcome all comments and write-ups and invite you to post screenshots of key moments and the moment of victory (if you are successful), but please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, make a comment about which civs are in the game, or about wonders, or locations of ancient ruins, etc.

* In short, if it’s information you can only know by playing the game, don’t spoil it for others by divulging this information in the open. Thank you for your co-operation

New - For better view please put your results in bold letters so that the person that updates the spreadsheet can quickly see it.

DCL Game #28
You: Russia
Map Type:
Spoiler :
Oval

Difficulty:
Spoiler :
Easy

Starting Location:
Spoiler :

Settings: Quick combat/movement (turn it back on if you would like)
Everything else is set to default.
Game Version - 1.0.3.276
Downloadable Content: – G&K, BNW, Conquest of the New World Deluxe, Genghis Khan's Mongolia, Harold Bluetooth's Denmark, Isabella’s Sapin and Pachacuti's Incan Empire, Kamehameha's Polynesian Empire, Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon, Sejong The Great's Korea, Wonders of the Ancient World. The map packs are intentionally excluded.

Schedule
Spoiler :

Game #1 20/06/14 The Zulu Pangaea
Game #2 04/07/14 America Continents
Game #3 18/07/14 Persia Continents
Game #4 01/08/14 Sweden Pangaea
Game #5 15/08/14 The Inca Pangaea
Game #6 29/08/14 Byzantium Continents
Game #7 12/09/14 Ethiopia Pangaea
Game #8 26/09/14 Mongolia Pangaea
Game #9 10/10/14 Rome Small Continents
Game #10 24/10/14 Polynesia Terra
Game #11 07/11/14 Morocco Pangaea
Game #12 21/11/14 The Maya Continents
Game #13 05/12/14 Indonesia Continents
Game #14 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) The Netherlands Small Continents
Game #15 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) Poland Pangaea
Game #16 02/01/15 China Pangaea
Game #17 16/01/15 Germany Pangaea
Game #18 23/01/15 OCC Babylon Continents
Game #19 02/02/15 Aztecs Pangea
Game #20 12/02/15 Spain Terra
Game #21 20/02/15 India Continents
Game #22 28/02/15 Brazil Pangea
Game #23 10/03/15 Huns Continents
Game #24 20/03/15 Arabia Pangea
Game #25 30/03/15 (April Fool's) Venice Pangea
Game #26 10/04/15 Celts Continents
Game #27 20/04/15 Danemark Pangea
Game #28 30/04/15 Russia Oval

I hope you all enjoy the map!

If you want to share a map please send me a private message.

Please note that maps you wish to share MUST have map packs disabled, so those who do not have them can enjoy the challenge. To do this, you MUST go into the DLC option from the Main Menu and untick the options ‘Scrambled Nations’, ‘Explorers Map Pack’ and ‘Scrambled Continents’. You will need to do this EVERY TIME you start a new game, or just simply delete the map packs. I suggest you disable these map DLCs on steam directly. Steam will uninstall them, just reactivate them when you need them. Thanks.

Attachments

• DCL #27 - Russia.Civ5Save
    488.1 KB · Views: 428
I'm not sure if this is the first time a deity challenge will be easier than the corresponding immortal challenge :lol:... but maybe I spoke too soon... perhaps the neighbors are nasty people.

But in any case, if the worst happens, I think this is a map people can OCC and still win comfortably.

I'm enjoying it so far. I'll get edu on t104 and I have enough cash to buy 3 unis in my 3 cities. Then I will get Cossack/Artillery.

It's been a while I've played a DCL, I'll try this one since I've been meaning to play Russia for some time now.

Petra gone turn 49
CI gone turn 67
easy map

yeah.... :lol:

Still, 5-city NC Education turn 98.

Anyway,
Spoiler :

Shoshone ICS is definitely the most annoying thing an AI can do, I've lost so many tiles I can't even count, and I couldn't fit army in my build order so I played until the first DoW :lol:

Hey spoilers!

Spoiler :
I also took the Petra path and lost out. But I stayed with just three cities and kept on stacking hammers while I carefully sold everything i could sell. I'm at about T124 and Moscow is over size 20. I have 2 RAs running. Artillery is gonna decimate those city spammers.

Wishing I wasn't at work...

Well the one who built all of those in my game must have head more than a sensible head start, I've never seen that :D

sorry about previous post

also, International Worker's day so, no work :D

Just pointing out a minor issue with the save file - it should be DCL #28... instead of DCL #27 - Russia.Civ5Save.

Spoiler :
...triple salt and marble is tempting for petra, plus hill mountain river on desert.

how many times did you roll to get this start? or is it IGE?

also would like to propose no worker stealing, in light of the occasion :D

Had try out this to see what's Oval like and because I momentarily got fed up with the game, particularly with manpanzee's Shoshones start. I was about to play a peaceful game for a change but as Askia started converting my cities under the umbrella of DoF I wiped him off and Ahmad, too because he was in between and I doubt the bloodshed is over for that game.

Spoiler :

I'm not totally against camp maps but this one is ridiculous - I've checked half a dozen times but it still says Deity :( The hardest challenge on this map would've been 'run around the map without stepping on any luxes or strategic resources'.

I stole a worker from Ahmad around 15 but left the stealing there as by that time I'd revealed enough of the map to be sure the game was over. Due to 3 cult ruins I still got a settler out before T30 and managed to settle by the Lake Victoria, after that I just dumped the cities here & there.

To have at least something different I went for free Liberty settler, then Tradition opener before filling Liberty which will happen somewhere T8x. I pretty much ignored units as Shaka was far away but Pocatello spotted the weak spot and attacked ~T70 so I had to buy few archers & take a tech detour for CBs. Due to the excitement of the Siege of Rostov I lost electricity in the house but I'm not expecting anything serious especially when Walls will be ready in 2 turns. Most likely I will just kill the units without trying to take cities as I don't necessarily want a border with Shaka.

DoF with Byz, India & Venice but Pizza Enrico thinks I've too many cities as does Hiawatha, Ahmad hasn't forgiven me yet and Shaka thinks very highly of my land which I can't really blame him for.
By far the most interesting in the game is still Shaka, he build GL on T20 which I admit is fairly quickly, went Medieval on T52 and when I found his lands on T59 the Impi presense was impressive. This doesn't make much sense either.

Some crazy dirt for Mother Russia :mischief:!

Opened with a 4 city Tradition NC t66. Beautiful spots with tons of luxuaries. Religion, took tithe and pagodas and just finished HS Before Education.

Education t90 with lots of Money. Bought 3 unis and will sign 5 RA:s. Saving my gpt to be able to afford buying observatories later on.

But trouble stirs in the horizon. Zulu, Shoshone, Iroquis and Marocko all seem to be on the war path :sad:, had to bribe Marockos army to go after Venice instead of me. Think I have to build some more units...

Attachments

• 2015-05-01_00003.jpg
    2015-05-01_00003.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 677
  • 2015-05-01_00004.jpg
    2015-05-01_00004.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 450
Some crazy dirt for Mother Russia :mischief:!

You got that right. Went Liberty aiming for a CV or Artillery or Bombers.

to t100
Spoiler :

5 city initial expand. Some nice dirt here.

Even with picking up Engineering I still got Education on turn 93. Missed Oracle, but got a late HG In Nov:) I just hit Renaissance and will open Rationalism next turn. Demos are a Russian wash. #1 Food and Hammers, Only 3% back in tech - to Shaka of all people.

Yekaterinburg is vulnerable - I will sacrifice it if need be.

Also: check out the silliness that is Theodora's religion. Anyone want a faith sink?

Update Scientific Theory t136:

Pocatello planted two generals and stole my land right up my face :mad:. Had to war him sooner or later so took the chance when Iroquis asked me to join him. Sued for peace and razed the city.

Got LtoP and am getting PT aswell I think.

Attachments

• 2015-05-02_00001.jpg
    2015-05-02_00001.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 512
Really strong start, I like how the game plays out. I'm going for DomV.

t.128 update:

Spoiler :
Opened Liberty and expanded to 4 cities. Built a bunch of CBs, 3 Spearmen, and attacked Hiawatha. I'm done with him at the moment, going to tech towards Dynamite for Morocco. After that I'll go after Venice, then India, and I hope Shaka can be busy with Pocatello until then :D

Im an immortal player but tempted to try this one out to test myself

Well, 95 turns in (probably all I have time for tonight).

Spoiler :
Despite it being first game on Deity, I decided to try for Petra. Well, I figured I would try only if I got desert folklore, which i did (4th Pantheon i think). Quickly settled two cities...one west of Moscow with lots of luxes, and one on Lake Vic

As I was rushing Currency, I only picked up mining for lux hookups so had to use salt and a city state to keep happiness going. Took two workers with one scout from Iroquois and got another from a barb.

Finish currency, thinking I might actually get Petra, 7 turns to go...

Pocatello. With no workable Petra tiles that i can even see. Ass.

Meanwhile, hes spamming cities all around Moscow, while Hiawatha is spamming me from the south. Had to buy a few tiles to secure them, so I don't think he will be happy with me for long

NC up turn 85ish. education due to finish at 104. War is not my specialty but i am so tempted to rush for Artillery, get some Cossacks and play Cowboys and Indians. Who cares if I win, I'm taking what is rightfully mine from Trollcatello.

GL gone on t19? Lol ok. I am going to role-play with Cossacks, Artillery, and Great Bombers anyway. Shaka will be the Hitler on this map.

I always make the mistake of creating monsters. Kinda thought it would be nice to make Haiwatha fight everyone and be hated, but he is just running away along with Shaka.

I want to see who accomplished a DomV on this map. I quit around t220 because it was my artillery carpet vs Shaka's cannons/riflemen carpet and a very slow push. It's just taking forever to chew through all these units which keep coming.

Top Bottom