Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac

I tried this, and not all of my subscribed mods were in the ingame listing; only about a quarter of them were there. I verified the game cache to see if that'd do anything, but now the script doesn't work. What should I do?

Hi, welcome

If you verified the game cache, it is highly likely that Steam replaced your edited MainMenu.lua file, hiding the Mods menu. And because it didn't delete the backup copy, the script thinks it doesn't need to re-edit the file.

I therefore suggest that you do what I recommended to mbusch71 in this post, and try again.

Re. the fact that some of your mods were not visible before that happened: Did you subscribe to them on your current Mac? You may need to unsubscribe and resubscribe the ones you can't see, then run the script again (after you've fixed the first issue).

I tried deleting the MainMenu file and I can now see the mods button, but some of my subscribed mods are still missing. Before I deleted it I resubscribed to everything so that's in order, but there are also some mods visible that I did not resubscribe to after I unsubscribed from them.

The script only knowns how to add mods, it doesn't delete any. So mods you unsubscribe from will not be uninstalled. If you want to remove them you will have to go into the ~/Documents/Aspyr/.…./Mods/ fodder and delete them manually.

Which mods are you subscribed to that are not showing? Just two or three will do, and I'll check to see if they work for me.

Guys. I joined this forum just today and am very surprised that I ran into it just today. Could have learned so much if I had joined a few months ago!

Anyways, never too late. As a first post, I wanted to thank the OP of this thread. I was pretty much clueless as how to use mods on my Mac and these instructions worked like a charm. A big THANK YOU!

can anybody run the nights mod successfully?

i've got the app store version and the mod menu shows and i can select the nights mod but i can't get past the game setup screen, once i try to start the game civ immediately crashes

Welcome :wavey:

1. How did you get the Mods menu to display? It doesn't work for me on the App Store version.

2. Are you able to run *any* mods with the App Store version? I have not been able to find anyone who confirms that they can. I suspect that this version has mods disabled, as they would violate the App Store's security rules against third party DLC, and external scripting.

well, i simply followed your instructions in post no. 1

nights was the first mod i tried, but now i've downloaded red and race for religion just to see what happens and they seem to work

or at least this time the game started, i haven't had the time to really play yet so i don't know if any problems will arise later

but with nights the application immediately crashed so i guess it's just a problem with that mod

What version number appears in the main menu screen? What version shows in the Get Info box for the app?

Same as me - except my Info gives the same version as the main menu.

[EDIT] Actually, in Finder, my Get Info gives 1.3.6. For some reason, Path Finder's Get Info displays the 1.0.3.144 () string.[/EDIT]

Do you have the Brave New World and/or Gods and Kings expansions?

i have both and my civ version is german, if that makes any difference

I suspect the national version may make a difference. I saw a report from a French player that he could enable mods, though I never found out whether he could actually run them.

Ar you sure the other mods you have tried are actually loading and giving you extra in-game capabilities?

Does nights include a file called "civgamecoredll.dll"? If so, it will not load, as custom dlls are not supported in the Mac versions. I'll have a look at it later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

the red mod certainly did "something" as i got an error message after 2 or 3 rounds telling me that the game is running out of memory and i should save my progress and restart the game. eventually i had to disable red again
race for religion seems to work as i had some new options to chose from when i started a pantheon

as for night, no i didn't find any dll in the mod folder

I have Civ5 with the Brave New World expansion (via Steam). I was able to change the code on my main menu so that it displays the MOD button. But the first mod I downloaded via the workshop isn't working. I was able to locate the file in my Steam documents folder and it shows two different documents sitting in a folder with a multi-digit number as it's name. One document has the .civ5mod suffix to it (15.2MB) and the other simply says "data.vdf" (179 bytes).

After reading the mac installation instructions and checking out a couple videos on youtube, it appears that one has to extract the compressed file downloaded by subscribing to the Steam workshop file. But I'm not sure the file I got was compressed. It's a Unix Executable File and dropping that into stuffit doesn't work. It looked like I should have received a compressed file that would extract into a folder with all the files that I would need to dump in my Steam MOD folder.

So, I guess my questions are:

1. Are all the mods on Steam Workshop compressed and therefore in need of some extraction?

2. If the product of my download was a Unix executable file, is that simple a mod that would never be compatible with the Mac version of Civ 5.

3. Or do I simply create a folder within my Steam Mods/Civ5 folder, and dump the data and .civ5mod file into there?

1. Yes, civ5mod files are compressed. The first post here states that, and explains that they are really 7zip files, not .zip files, and they need to be extracted into a folder using a 7zip utility.

2. civ5mod files are not recognised by Mac OS X, so it labels them as "Unix Executables". That only means that you have no application that has told OS X that it can handle them.

3. No. You can't just use the compressed mod.

The simplest way to install the Workshop mods is to use the Applescript that is linked in the first post. The script finds downloaded civ5mod files, extracts them, and moves the resulting folder to the Mods folder. It also does the edit to get the MODS menu to display.

Thanks for the clarification. Forgive me for not being hip on Applescript, but if I've already changed the main menu to enable the MODS button to appear, is there any harm in running the script attached to the first post? Should I delete the mod I downloaded early and re-download it?

Thanks for your help!

You should just run the script. It may put an additional double hyphen in the mainmenu.lua file, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Hi, the mods tab is present in my game but the mods don't seem to be taking affect - running YnAEMP, YnAEMAP City States and TSL Giant map Gedemon (Cookie's Version).
Any help would be great.

Top Bottom