Ever play the Imperialism series from SSI?

knuckledragger

Chieftain
Good Afternoon,

Having played both the Imperialism series and Civ4, I was wondering if there was anybody else on the forum who has done likewise. If so, how would you compare and contrast Imperialism and Civ4? Any opinions are more than welcome.

If you have not played the Imperialism, here is a link to wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperialism_(video_game)

The game is available on gog.com (where I bought it since I am lazy about dosbox):

http://www.gog.com/game/imperialism

Here is a link for the game I found after I bought it:

http://www.freegameempire.com/games/Imperialism

I think you will notice a lot of similarities to Civ4 ;)

KD

I played Imperialism II; I found it to be an excellent game.

The time period covered goes from the late 15th century to the mid 19th century, so you don't get the sweep of history that you get in the Civ series. There is only one victory condition--control half of the old world. But you'll need to control a significant chunk of the new world in order to gain control of the old world.

Some things I liked about it were the intricate economic system, strategic movement/tactical combat, and ability to "fine tune" difficulty levels. For the latter, they had five default levels (introductory, easy, normal, hard, and well-neigh-impossible) and a custom setting where you could set about a score of different different parameters to one of five or three settings each giving the human or AI a bonus (or parity).

Some things I liked about it were the intricate economic system, strategic movement/tactical combat, and ability to "fine tune" difficulty levels. For the latter, they had five default levels (introductory, easy, normal, hard, and well-neigh-impossible) and a custom setting where you could set about a score of different different parameters to one of five or three settings each giving the human or AI a bonus (or parity).

I believe there were modders who attempted to mod the economic system into Civ4, but I do not know of an economic system in Civ4 like Imperialism. The closest economic system that Civ4 and Imperialism would have in common is Civilization 4 Colonization...

Thanks for your input!

Isn't it more like Victoria II rather than Civ4?

i've played Imperialism II: Age of Exploration. It has similiarities with civ. It is a turn based game.
There is technology researching. I like the battles really very very much. The battles are like another game in the game.

I was completely nutter for Imperialism. I believe the economic model is one of the best ever made (above Victoria 1&2), in spite or maybe because of its simplicity. I don't think it's very comparable to the Civ series though, though economy looks a bit like that of Colonization.

I would very gladly buy a remake with an improved AI and interface (and diplomacy could do with a bit of reworking as well).

Ahah! I played so many games by SSI... can't remember much about Imperialism though...

Lately when I get nostalgic, I just purchase a new Adventure Game... though nothing much new that has come along is that great.. aside form Mechanarium... but that one's getting old too by now.

All I all though, I am sure I spent far more time on Civ IV, and Civ III than all of the SSI titles combined.

Top Bottom